Why Must CounterStrike crash constantly?

TypeE1ite

n00b
This might not be the proper forum for this but im honestly fed up with CounterStrike crashing all the god damm time. I have an Opteron 165 oc'd to 2.5 and it runs 2 intances of Prime95 stable for a whole day with no errors. Also ran mem test for a day no problem there. Play F.E.A.R for 3 hours straight that doesn't even crash my machine. So what gives any ideas? Oh and by crashing I meen without me quiting sometimes just exiting out but mainly Crashing and getting an error and ocasionally a blue screen wierd... your input would be appreciated thanks.

Ive had the game just hang to the point I have to close it or reboot all together. As stupid as it sounds ive had people recommend defragmenting. I tried it 2 days ago and have been ok so far. Couldnt hurt.

I've had my current install of CS:Source running for the past 2 years or so with 2 processor swaps, 2 motherboard swaps and 3 video card swaps, all without a reinstall of windows or any apps.
I do have issues with BF2 not working after each patch though.

OK, well back on track from the last post (FYI: it doesn't help to post the fact that your machine is running CS fine, has nothing to do with the fact that the OP's PC is crashing)

OK, well, give us some details. What do the errors say exactly? Or does it just kick you back into Windows without an error? What kind of video card do you have? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the video drivers? Does changing video options have any effect (i.e. changing resolution, AA, AF)? Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling CS/HL2? Do the crashes occur with HL2 in addition to CS (if you have HL2).

I've passed memtest and prime tests too but that doesn't mean its 100% stable. Is your video card overclocked too? Its one or the other or both if you really got ahead of yourself! :p

TypeE1ite said:
This might not be the proper forum for this but im honestly fed up with CounterStrike crashing all the god damm time. I have an Opteron 165 oc'd to 2.5 and it runs 2 intances of Prime95 stable for a whole day with no errors. Also ran mem test for a day no problem there. Play F.E.A.R for 3 hours straight that doesn't even crash my machine. So what gives any ideas? Oh and by crashing I meen without me quiting sometimes just exiting out but mainly Crashing and getting an error and ocasionally a blue screen wierd... your input would be appreciated thanks.
Try playing the game at stock CPU speeds.

Killdozer said:
Try playing the game at stock CPU speeds.
..and stock GPU speeds.
(that should always be the first thing an overclocker'r should do when running into anykind of stability problems ;) )

True playing it at the stock speed would be a good test . . . but why won't F.E.A.R crash and my video card and proc run hotter when im running fear then CS. Wierd and my network connection shouldn't have anything to do with me getting a blue screen and then my computer restarting. Hmmm puzzlement begins.

some games are just more sensitive to overclocked setups than other games .. can call it sloppier coding , or maybe it because of more precise coding ..or ...well , I dont know

:)

[F]old|[H]ard

Like Carmack said back when D3 came out how there are transistors in video cards that have never been used till D3 came out. So, in turn, maybe CS:S uses some transistors that F.E.A.R does not use and they are not liking your overclock.

For me, it's BF2 and BFV that does not like my highest overclock, but CS:S runs fine with my core jacked up over 625mhz on my X800XT. With BF2, need to turn it down to 580.

CS:S became really unstable after the 2nd most recent patch to steam. It seems to affect some people more than others. I have not played much since the latest patch, but on the previous patch, CS:S quit to the desktop with no errorsreported numerous times and also gave 4 BSODs. Previously the game had never had these kinds of problems and no other game on my system has crashing problems. All my hardware runs at stock speeds too. CS:S generally seems to get buggier with every patch of Steam and/or CS:S. The game browser has numerous highly annoying bugs these days as well.

Geshtar said:
CS:S became really unstable after the 2nd most recent patch to steam. It seems to affect some people more than others. I have not played much since the latest patch, but on the previous patch, CS:S quit to the desktop with no errorsreported numerous times and also gave 4 BSODs. Previously the game had never had these kinds of problems and no other game on my system has crashing problems. All my hardware runs at stock speeds too. CS:S generally seems to get buggier with every patch of Steam and/or CS:S. The game browser has numerous highly annoying bugs these days as well.

To the guy who said steam blows, steam doesn't make CSS, they deliver it. Steam has NEVER given me a problem. Go post your propaganda somewhere else.

Now, on to you, and anyone with these so called "crashing" problems.

I play CSS all the time, and have been and guess what? It never crashes on me, ever. There is one bug I have found and one bug only and that is when I minimize it and restore it. It says something along the lines of, "failed to lock memory index or buffer or some shit". No big deal really.

If it IS crashing all of the time it is because you don't have control over your box. You have spyware, or to much other stuff running, or just might not be as good as managing your pc as you think....

WS6 said:
I've had my current install of CS:Source running for the past 2 years or so with 2 processor swaps, 2 motherboard swaps and 3 video card swaps, all without a reinstall of windows or any apps.
I do have issues with BF2 not working after each patch though.

im with this guy. ive had 2 board swaps 4 card swaps 3 cpu swaps 2 mem changes and a sound card. and it runs like a champ. im actually glad the fixed the alt tabbing problem "cmesh dx8 error" or what ever.

Back