Why does my Penium4 RUN HOT?!

Volume

2[H]4U
:eek:

Hey, I'm getting 45-48c idle temperatures with my 2.6c Pentium4. I am using the Thermaltake Spark7+ HSF running at 6000rpm with Arctic Silver 5 thermal paste. The paste is applied onto the CPU heatspread very thin, just like it should be. The HSF is properly mounted and is flat on the chip. So, I'm wondering... WTF?! I know it's not the HSF's fault because before this I used the Intel stock cooling. With that, the temps were about 5-8c higher. Note, also that the computer is fairly new (about 2-3 weeks) and I put the thing together myself and know that everything is properly installed. So if you can help me out here, I'd appreciate it. :confused:

Some motherboards report hotter than average temperatures. Perhaps your motherboard has a BIOS update to fix that? Some do. Otherwise, that's not an unusually high temperature. You should only really be worried if you are experiencing stability problems as well.

My motherboard is fully updated.

I'm worried because I should be getting much lower than that :x

Which motherboard? My brother's ABIT IS7-E consistently reports idles in the low- to mid-40s Celcius with a Zalman CNPS7000A-AlCu. He experiences no stability problems related to the CPU, and the heatsink/thermal past installation went perfectly.

ABIT IC7-MAX3 Motherboard.

What I just finished doing was this:
I removed the heatsink from the CPU. I rubbed the as5 into the heatspreader and completely wiped off the remaining paste. Did the same to the heatsink. I then put on a drop half the size of a BB onto the heatspreader and clamped down my HSF. I am getting temps 48 idle. :(

I've found abits read 5-10C warmer than others. Its pretty consistent with them, nothing to worry about.

yer with max3 its pretty normal...my ic7 idles at about 51C and gets up to mid 60s underload but its stable

Volume, don't worry. I've had several P4 CPUs in two Abit boards (different chipset) and have had the same temps, unless the room was very cold.

I've had load temps up to 64 C with several CPUs and several heatsinks. Never had a stability problem.

Asus boards, for example, measure much lower CPU temps.

That's a relief!

Alright, so in my CMOS, should I set the CPU shutdown temp to 75?

I think that abit uses 85 C as the default shutdown temp., so 75 C should be good. 75 C is where I have mine set on my IC7.

A thread that should have been put to rest that just keeps going and going and going.......

Originally posted by batotman
A thread that should have been put to rest that just keeps going and going and going.......

get over it. seriously, why would it bother you? mark it as read.

Back