Why do manf computers always get slow?

A lot of people who buy this kind of computer click "yes" when asked if they want to install the fabulous new bonzi gator calendar thing. check for spyware and then check again with another program.

Haha, I love the computers that you get from these folks tho. They have the largest amount of startup program ever. And the Desktop looks like a garbage dumpster.

Spyware. They gte slow over time, they don't start off half that bad.

WinXP works perfectly fine with 256mb of ram, I was running it like that for a year. Never had any sort of spyware or viral infection though, which helps that a lot. The 512mb I've had since christmas make little different in the operation of windows and windows apps.

People with stock computers that I've seen though tend to have a generous slathering of spyware that slowly but steadily chokes the computer. No amount of ram is going to help that.

Now if they started selling computers with an adaware liscence... that'd be a good thing.

Ad Aware does not really do jack. Try Webroots Spy Sweeper. This baby works. I can finally use IE when I need to. It detected 18 Spyware that Ad Aware did not even notice. Give it a try.

Windows XP can run on 256MB of Ram, but having only 128MB of Free Ram available to you is a bit edgy. It does not run as smooth as it should be with at least 512MB.

I use adaware and Spybot and seem to be able to keep track of everything going on. Adaware is fast and very good at picking out the majority of crap, but Spybot picks up the more vicious things I find.

Originally posted by Phoenix86
The reason it happens is maintainence, or lack of. This is a software issue, not hardware.

1. HDD/page file needs defragging. Built in defragment won't touch the PF in XP, this is a big problem for some people.
2. Crap software installed, usually includes every version of Gator, 20 startup items, 10+ smiley/e-card programs, 40+ spyware processies.
3. Temp files.

Simply put all the comments about hardware are crap. Hardware doesn't "get slower over time" it only gets slower in comparison to newer equipment. The fact that a manuf. machine has 128 MB RAM doesn't make it slower that when it was purchased, it does make #2 a bigger problem.

Format/reload ANY machine that just isn't as fast as it used to be and you will breath new life into it, at least it will be as fast as it used to.

Edit: Sizing of RAM is a problem, esp. for home users, but it doesn't solve the problem, it only delays it. The reason why they get slower over time isn't hardware, period.
I couldn't agree more. Especially the 4th paragraph.

Originally posted by Chelica
even the old Acer with 500MHZ P3 comes with a generic Motherboard supporting AGP.
Yes - that's true. I opened up my little brother's Acer P3 333MHz the other day and it had one.

Another thing that can cause stability issues and more errors is a nice coating of dust over everything in the case. Blowing that out will reduce temperatures dramatically in most cases.

Back