Where to Mount Pump? Picture to help you help me :)

noteworthy

Gawd
Hey Guys...

Need some help with where to put my pump it'll be a via aqua 1300.

I was thinking either in my spare 5 1/4 slots or under the video card. But I am confused how to run my tubing either way to make it clean.

layout.jpg

Suggestions Please!

Just a link to show my old watercooling setup before I sold it all.
http://www.geocities.com/trombonegws/index.htm

hrmmmm 40 views and no replies.

I guess I'll try using the pump in the spare 5 1/4 bays/slots even though that is the highest point in the system.

Does it matter what order the blocks go in?

If mounted in the 5 1/4 bay could I have them:
Pump---CPU----Res---GPU---Rad---Pump?

Or it might look better going:
Pump---Res---CPU---GPU---Rad---Pump.

Took a look at your schematic. No dimensions are given, so it's kind of difficult to make any suggestions without some numbers to work with.

You could probably fit the pump to the rear of the heatercore, positioned close to the side of the case furthest from the mobo. Or, since you've already got the res outside the case, you could fabricate a small enclosure for the pump below the res -- might be better for maintenance that way.

As for ordering the components, it really doesn't matter. Use whatever arrangement is easiest to put together. Most people use pump->rad->CPU/GPU/NB->res->

You typically want the res to feed directly to the pump.

I like that suggestion for mounting the pump outside the case. Dunno how much it would add to the sound factor tho.

Dimensions are as follows:

Case:
17"l x 7"w x 19"h

The space in the free 2 - 5 1/4 bays:
6"l x 6"w x 4"h

Under the vid card to front of case:
18"l x 6"w x 4 1/2"h

Beside the heatercore:
5"l x 6"w x 6 1/2"h

Thanks for the help :)

If you have enough room underneath your video card I've seen quite a few people put the pump there. You just want to make sure the tubing isn't interfering with the card.

I guess I'll try using the pump in the spare 5 1/4 bays/slots even though that is the highest point in the system.

Why wouldnt you want to mount it there? Maybe I'm wrong, but wouldnt that be better, since the pump doesnt have to push as much water against gravity?

If I did mount it in the spare 5 1/4 bays I could use the following chain:
Pump -> down to heater core -> to vga maze4 block -> to cpu maze4 block ->reservoir ->back to pump.

I might have some foam available from a used pillow since my wife wants a new one. It is one of those 'curved' foam pillows.. not stuffed. I don't think that would melt/catch on fire :rolleyes:

You anyway get to deal with gravity because water has to come up again ;)

And now it has to suck which isn't the best for a pump.

Your pump should not be at the highest point the the system. If there are air bubbles they could get stuck up there, plus it will make it difficult to prime. Your reservoir should be at the highest point so all the air gets caught there. As said in the previous post, pumps are far better at pushing rather than pulling.

noteworthy said:
I like that suggestion for mounting the pump outside the case. Dunno how much it would add to the sound factor tho.

If you design the mounting system properly, there shouldn't be much noise at all. It's my opinion that your main enemy, when talking about the typical pump, is vibration. Damp out the vibration, and you're well on your way to silent operation.

Back