When did thermal protection get implimented?

’m‚³‚ñ

Supreme [H]ardness
You see, I have a plywood computer here (actually, it's sitting on a stack of paper, because I'm out of plywood) with a Smelleron 400 on it. I forgot to put the Fan on the heatsink... I installed Win 98 SE on it in this condition, and then was moving toward Win 2k when I realized this. A touch test revealed a burning hot heat sink (all aluminum, rated up to a ghz). I notied that Win 2k's install was going painfully slow... Does this Celeron 400 have Thermal protection, or am I just a lucky SOB? :p

Originally posted by batotman
Original pentium?

I don't think so. The original Pentiums had no clue what their temps were. Neither did the PPros. I'm thinking that the first CPU with fully functional Thermal protection were the PIII's... This is a Socket 370 CPU, BTW.

That isn't exactly the same as 'thermal protection', even though it says that on that page. 'Thermal protection' is triggered by temps, not by the fan speed, which I believe is what the Overdrive uses. The Overdrive has a built on fan, so no fan would be disasterous. You can't replace it, at least not easily.

I've toasted some PI's, turning them into 1 ghz space heaters. :p I've done the same for PII's, I don't believe that they had thermal protection either.

Are you reading the same document? :D

"The thermal protection circuitry built into the microprocessor is reducing the number of instructions performed, thus slowing the system."

Are you reading the same document? :D

Here, I'll quote it here and then explain my point again. :)

The fan is not working. The thermal protection circuitry built into the microprocessor is reducing the number of instructions performed, thus slowing the system

The 'thermal protection' on the P Overdrive is based on the fan RPM. If the fan stops, then the circuit kicks in and lowers the IPC. The thermal protection I'm referring to uses a thermal sensor in the CPU core to kick the IPC down when the temp gets too high. With a Pentium Overdrive, if you remove the stock fan and put a waterblock on it, it'll still go slow as hell because it thinks that the fan died so it's running at a lower IPC ratio.

Since I'm borrowing my $3 HSF's fan for a PII :)p), I had to borrow a Slot 1 PIII's fan for the $3 HSF. :p

The fan stopped working and the cpu got hot so the thermal protection came on. there is no fan speed sensor in an overdrive cpu. or any other that i know of.

ist thermal protection. not fan failure protection.

Originally posted by DeFex
The fan stopped working and the cpu got hot so the thermal protection came on. there is no fan speed sensor in an overdrive cpu. or any other that i know of.

ist thermal protection. not fan failure protection.

I guess I misunderstood. :p

Oh you listen to him but not me???? :confused:

Well, it's not like that... Lets just say, I listened to both of you. ;)

I still doubt that's 'real' thermal protection, but I'll take your words for it. :p

Hmm... I'll have to get a PI 133 some day and run it 1:1 with the RAM. 133 mhz CPU and 133 mhz FSB and 133 mhz RAM. ;)

Now that I think about it, the P Overdrive reduces the IPC, as you said (supported in the article you linked to), and that's basically how Thermal Protection (and the thermal throttling on AMD borads) works. ;) So, yeah, you were right to begin with. :p

THANK YOU! :D

Thermal protection ain't perfect as we all know. I had P3 500 burn up after fan failure, that was when the 550 was top of the freakin line. Now that I think about it, it should've had a 3 year warranty and the computer store put a P2 266 in and no cash back. Son of a bitch!!!

Ouch. Crap like that happens.

I had a 1 year warrenty on my PNY video card, but since I had no reciept, I had no warrenty. :(

I don't know what I was thinking when I didn't put a fan on this thing... :p It's running F@H now, so it's all good. :)

Damn dude, do you ever sleep? lol

I don't. Unfortunately I'm experiencing the mania side of bipolar for this week. No sleep no problem.

Damn dude, do you ever sleep? lol

I don't. Unfortunately I'm experiencing the mania side of bipolar for this week. No sleep no problem.

Yeah, I sleep. :p Not very much... This lifetime, I've been afflicted with insomnia. No sleep, at any time. Doesn't bother me too much. It's mid-term week anyway, so caffeine replaces sleep to begin with. :p

Back