Whats the best 9800 Pro to Mod to a 9800XT

jimowens

n00b
Im in the market for a new graphics card, but my wife wont let me piss away enough to get an x800. Whats the best Card to MOD to a 9800xt. What do I need to look for besides the 256 bit interface. What type of RAM? What type of cooling. Which cards can be soft moded without additional cooling?

thanks

You have to make sure that the card comes with a R360 core. Saphire cards might come with a R360, but I'm pretty sure that the RX9800pro from MSI comes with a R360. You should be able to flash it to 9800XT with stock cooling. I have no idea what type of ram it has.

Sapphire oem cards from newegg are shipping with R360 core and 2.8 hynix ram.
Mine goes well past XT speeds on stock cooling.

Scar1.8T said:
This is a rather good guide that outline which cards can be modded and which cannot. The site also has all the BIOS files you will need available for download.

http://www.rojakpot.com/default.aspx?location=3&var1=92&var2=0

I just picked up the ATI version off newegg and it has the R360 core, all I need now is the 9800XT cooler and I will be set.

What do you mean by the 9800XT cooler? Are you talking about the Arctic VGA Silencer Rev.3?

rhsiao12 said:
What do you mean by the 9800XT cooler? Are you talking about the Arctic VGA Silencer Rev.3?

Na, I want the actual heatsink off a 9800XT that has been modded. I would just prefer it as a single slot sollution thats all.

Scar1.8T said:
Na, I want the actual heatsink off a 9800XT that has been modded. I would just prefer it as a single slot sollution thats all.
hehe i want the same thing, :p, i have a 256mb pro, looks exactly like the XT cetp for the cooler

Back