What MMO ?

Anime_Fan

[H]ard|Gawd
So what MMOS are you guys playing? I really need a new MMO to play...

I played FFXI for about a year and a half and that by far has been the most fun I have ever had in an MMO. I havent played it for the last year or so and I kind of want to play it again with the new expansion coming out.

Also is it just me or is FFXI the only MMO you can play with a game pad, it is 10 times more comfortable to play a MMO with a gamepad if you ask me :p

I've tried WoW and I didn't like it...
RF Online did not impress me with the Beta...
I've tried CoH and that was kind of fun but FFXI pulled me away from it
I've tried SWG but its just lame now...
I tried Lineage 2 and it was meh
I've been meaning to try the Auto Assault beta....

I've been thinking about Guild Wars...what is it like? Any other suggestions?

Looks like GW would be a good bet for ya. Some like it, some don't. Maybe the Everquest series?

I'd suggest giving EVE Online a try. It's a bit different then other MMOs (and you didn't have it in your list). There is also a free 2 week trial.

Farseer said:
I'd suggest giving EVE Online a try. It's a bit different then other MMOs (and you didn't have it in your list). There is also a free 2 week trial.

Excellent suggestion. I concur.

GW is fun up to a point, unless you are super into making creative pvp'ing combos with your characters and do nothing but pvp i don't think the game is really for you

Looks like GW would be a good bet for ya. Some like it, some don't. Maybe the Everquest series?

you should give eq1 a shot, if you haven't already, they have a free test up to lvl 10 where you go to a trial area and get used to questing/killing/getting spells/hotkeying, everything you'll ever use in the game it will cover in the trial, the trial will only cover 1 through 10 though, then you gotta get the game to continue your character

another great game to give a shot (and is completely free before any expantions) is AO, its got a good interface, controlls are alright, and the view is something to be desired... but its got great combat, if you ever do decide to get the expantions they have some awsome worlds to see, everything moves fast and they still have a huge community

not to mention i love how they split up the communities on the boards between professions, and assign a guy from each one to represent each profession and adress certain faults

i currently have active accounts with WoW/AO/EQ/L2/GW, out of all of them my best experiences was with EQ (little long gone now) and currently enjoying AO with my little free time

Guild Wars is pretty much pointless unless you are into player vs player, the story/mission/questing part of the game is rather boring and unrewarding.

I just joined the Auto Assault beta. I"ve been pretty burnt out from MMORPGS as of late. This seems like a nice change of pace from the fantasy hack and slash crap.

used to play wow but found i really didnt have the time to invest in it... or the money lol

GW is awesome, I find myself getting into a game for a few weeks only to quit it and pick up another. With GW, I find myself going back time after time again. It truly is a great game. Did I mention NO SUB FEE'S?

i played WoW for 9 months and stop playing it ..

lately i had a crave of MMO and i played Guild wars... its not as free as WoW , but i found to have lots of fun with it... go for it ... why not?

I enjoy GW and I don't PvP at all. I like doing the quests and missions far more than I do the PvP. Those saying that it is only good for PvPers, well... I disagree. I played EQ for several years and I have yet to find an adequate replacement. The social aspects of EQ were, by far, the best I have seen in any MMORPG.

I tried EQ2 for several months but lost interest. I know some people, i.e. the post on the front page of HardOCP this morning dealing with Penny Arcade, have problems with EQ2's graphics, but I loved them. I do think that if their opinion was based solely on the newbie area of the game, then it is a bit misleading. You must also have a very nice video card to play it with any eye candy turned on, which makes a world of difference. It was far nicer looking than any other MMORPG I have played thus far.

I tried WoW for about 6 months, but it was way too cartoonish for me. I liked the game play for the most part, just hated the graphics. I currently play Guild Wars but not religiously. The great thing about not having any monthly fees is that you don't feel pressured to play at all unless you are in the mood for it.

I'm probably the only one to give DDO a thumbs up. I think its at least a refreshing take on what is an "MMO". The game has its issues, but they are giving away a 60 day free pass so its there for the taking I suppose. I've played my Paladin to just a hair under lvl 3 and its actually quite enjoyable. I love the integrated voice and I think the variety of armors and weapons is cool. I encountered my first troll the other night and it was cool as hell to fight.

Woo!

I'm playin DDO as well and really enjoying it too. I am juuuuuust under lvl 3 at this point, and my character is an Elven Rogue. Woulda been a bit higher, but i've rerolled her 3 times to get her stats the way I wanted them.

Started in on playing last Friday on the first day of the Headstart program.

You've listed off the main MMO's I had heard of recently and werent interested in them. You may want to look into DND online or Lord of the Rings online (or could be called Middle Earth online, they changed the name), which neither have been released yet, but you just may need to wait on a new one if GW doesnt work out.

www.tibia.com

Its 2d but its got great gameplay. Its free but you can buy a premium account which allows you to get access to more islands and towns.

joses0 said:
another vote for eve online! I like it a lot

I think I tried this game and didn't get into it....I guess since it has a free trial I could give it another try :)

I dont think I want to play DDO...

I have my eye on a few MMOs coming out such as Dark and Light, Vanguard, and Middle Earth Online....

Oh and for some reason my beta account isnt activated for Auto Assault online...I went to play it last night and it wont let me login because it says its not activated :( I had my beta key emailed to me and everything :(

Anime_Fan said:
and Middle Earth Online....

wich is now called lord of the rings online : shadow of angmar ... im also waiting for that one.. why? i dont know... maybe to smoke pipeweed as an hobbit

also this one... look pretty interesting http://www.burningsea.com/

Warhammer Online is coming out within the next couple of years if you can wait that long. If anyone wants some information about it, pick up the next issue of PC Gamer when it hits the news stands. I hear that if you play MMOs for the social aspect as well as gameplay then Guild Wars isn't for you. From what I hear, you don't encounter anyone outside of the towns since you jump on to a private server to run around in the different areas. If you don't have a party withyou then you don't have anyone to help.

This is true, GW is not a traditional mmo , in fact, I wouldnt even call it a mmo. Its kinda like Diablo 2 on steriods with a different theme geared towards pvp. But pvp is FUN! Especially GVG. I wouldnt think twice about it, GW is a must have for almost any gamer.

Never could get into Eve Online, no matter what, you cna never catch up or compete with the people who have been playing for years since the skills are real time based (no grinding, skills level in time if you're online or not)

EQ2 (currently playing) I go back to EQ2 a lot, lose interest after awhile, I think now the New PvP servers will keep a lot of attention on the game.

WoW .. Love it or hate it... it's just there... I've played 3 characters to 60 now... It's a fun game to 60, then after that... time sink bleh... mindless pvp grinding, and entire weekends wasted on a 3% chance you'll get a piece of armor...

Turthfully, none of these games (except maybe somebody who gets into Eve, because it takes a year to level) have any staying power (will keep your interest). They all get borring, repedative, or just plain stupid after awhile..

Since I've never played an EQ2 character to max level, I figure I'd try that for awhile...
Best advice, pick what looks good now, cause you'll change your mind in 2-3 months any how.

Back