What is the best case/psu for your money?

USMC_Grunt

Gawd
Nothing fancy, just a decent power supply and a case thats easy to move around in. I was thinking of that Antec SLK3700AMB for $65, but I'm trying to cut corners for my upgrade which is a limit of $400. I'm currently at $413.98 not including shipping.

So far I'm getting:

ABIT nForce2 SPP Chipset Motherboard for AMD Socket A CPU, Model "NF7" -RETAIL for $69.99, wow that dropped recently.

AMD Athlon XP 2500+ "Barton" for $85

Apacer 184 Pin 512MB DDR PC-3200 for $78

PANASONIC floppy for $5.99 :D

Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB for $74

Aopen 52x32x52 CD-RW DRIVE for $36

And of course the current Antec case for $65

Grand total: $413.98 without shipping.

Anyone have any ideas? I just assumed the case would be the best thing to cut down on. BTW, I won't have anything more than $400 for a very long time, so I can't really wait for that. :D

That 3700 is prolly yours best bet. I purchased one when they had not so good of a sale, it was like 90 bucks after tax and everything. So for that price tag, it is worth it.

Also, I have seen ALOT of people purchasing this one right here. It is $10 bucks cheaper, but the PSU is not a name brand one like Antec, at least I do not think it is judging from the picture.

Aspire X-Dreamer II

O, I just noticed that they are not offering free shipping on the 3700, so you are looking at about $85 bucks, compared to $55 bucks for the Aspire X Dreamer II.

Unless you really want that Antec PSU, then go for the Aspire made case.

i built a computer for a friend with that antec case, its really nice, the pictures do not do it justice, the finish on the metal is nice, smooth and shiny. The only drawback, is its a tad heavy. If I were in your position, i would save a little longer and go with the antec.

you don't need cooling unless you are planning on overclocking

for games, you should be fine for a while until you can afford aftermarket hsf and schtuff

I plan on starting to experiment with overclocking on this one. :D Not too far though because I can't afford to replace anything I fry.

My rig....

Abit NF7-S v2.0
2500+ with retail HSF
Apacer PC3200

clocked at 400FSB no sweat. It has been running at 3200+ for a few months straight....rock solid.

Foxxconn makes a decent cheap case.

Buy everything from www.newegg.com

You can get a hard drive for much cheaper instore with rebates. Usually after a rebate, you should be paying about $0.50 per gig. I got my 120's for about $60 and my 80's for about $40. Look at the retail stores, they often have sales like this with rebates. Most of my drives are Western Digital that i've found sales, but you'll also find a lot of Maxtor drives for these prices as well.

Yes, newegg is the shit. I checked out best buy and with their rebates it was still more expensive I think. I can't remember though.

What would you guys downgrade if you were me?

Here are the prices I found that include shipping:

Abit NF7: $68.75
AMD Athlon XP 2500+ Barton: $83
Apacer 512MB DDR PC3200: $76
Samsung floppy drive: $7
Western Digital Special Edition 80GB 7200RPM IDE Hard Drive, Model WD800JB: $70.99
Aopen 52x32x52 CD-RW drive: $35
Antec case: $78

Grand total: $418.74

$18 over your limit...

Originally posted by Aqua_Geek
$18 over your limit...

Well if it was just $18 over then I'd be fine. But like the hooligan you are you lied! It's $18.74 over!

Yeah ok I'm done with that heh.

I guess they must have lowered some of the prices recently, as in after 5:00pm today hehe, nice. Well cool, thanx.

I have the 3700 and it is great case, although the PSU can be lacking. My -12V rail is running at something like -12.8V, and although nothing is unstable, it is worrisome. The case is great - the paintjob is nice, the drives are reasonable, the side panel is really easy to get off and it just looks nice to start. It certainly seems like a fine case to mod.

The main difference between the 3700 and the 2600 seems to be just the PSU. The 2600 has a 300W PSU whereas the 3700 has a 350W one. Would that make a huge difference for what I would be running?

Hmm... those Foxconn cases don't look so bad, but they are rather inexpensive. I'm assuming they aren't the best quality. Anyone have any good or bad experiences with them?

CoolerMaster or Lian Li case, best design for heat dispersion & quality in & out.

Aspire 500 or 520 watt LED/UV see thru power supplies are fairly new but rock stable, heavy & eliminate the need to buy a cold cathode. Read reviews on the net ANYWHERE.

These Aspire 500 watters are about $59 at NewEgg & you can buy a TOP quality CoolerMaster or Lian Li for maybe $130 & up.

Back