What about these COMPUSA brand DVD-R? Any good?

Chelica

2[H]4U
Hello,

I am waiting for my DVD Burner to arrive, the Liteon 811S. And I was wondering, for medias, how are the Compusa branded one? I heard that they were Optodiscs. Are they any good? Anyone have any problems with them, any good stuff with them?

Thank you.
Alex

I have had no problems with them. Make sure your burner firmware is flashed to the latest and greatest. Had the best stand alone compatability with RICOHs so far (TDK branded).

There are 2 kinds of CompUSA DVD-R media that I've seen: light purple and darker purple on the recording side. The light purple media is PRINCO 1x media. It's not very good media for several burners, but it works fine in Pioneer DVR-104/105 drives. You can burn it at 2x in Optorite drives, but it fails verify very often.

I don't know what brand the darker purple media is. It could be Optodisc, Lead Data or some brand of media.

If you look around for media deals, you can get name brand media for the same price as the cheap CompUSA media. For example, all these deals were/are available this week through Saturday:
the substitute for a Khypermedia 25 pack splindle at OfficeMax B&M is a 25 pack of HP DVD+Rs for $9.99 out the door.
CompUSA has 25 pack spindles of Memorex 4x media (DVD+R and DVD-R) for $25 with no rebates.
Staples had 10 packs of Memorex DVD-Rs/+Rs in jewel cases for $10 with no rebates.
Office Depot had 50 packs of Imation 4x DVD+Rs or 2x DVD-Rs buy 1 get 1 free, combined with the $20 off $75 ebates.com coupon, for $70 + tax for 100 DVDs.

And check out stores like PC Club (25 Ritek G04 4x media for $19.99... orange tops), meritline.com, newegg.com and supermediastore.com for specials they sometimes have.

Thanks for the tips. The only reason why I was wondering about Compusa branded DVD-R is because I work there so I can get employee discount. And we get the most money saved on Compusa branded medias. All the others ones we only save a couple of bucks. Yeps, super shady.

Alex

It's not shady.

It's all based on margin, and you obviously have no clue as to how it works. You're getting the product at the cost the company purchases it for per unit. When they buy that product, Comp jacks up the price because the company needs to make some money, too. The CompUSA shit is cheaper because they obviously buy it in mass quantities (if you've ever been in the warehouse, I'm sure you've seen the pallets full of crossdock), so they most likely get it at group discount.

If you ever need a cable, be prepared to be shocked because a $44.99 FireWire cable would cost you ~$10. I'm sure you've probably seen the mass amount of Belkin shit that comes in. If not, you're probably just some front end monkey.

Originally posted by Poop
It's not shady.

It's all based on margin, and you obviously have no clue as to how it works. You're getting the product at the cost the company purchases it for per unit. When they buy that product, Comp jacks up the price because the company needs to make some money, too. The CompUSA shit is cheaper because they obviously buy it in mass quantities (if you've ever been in the warehouse, I'm sure you've seen the pallets full of crossdock), so they most likely get it at group discount.

If you ever need a cable, be prepared to be shocked because a $44.99 FireWire cable would cost you ~$10. I'm sure you've probably seen the mass amount of Belkin shit that comes in. If not, you're probably just some front end monkey.

Screw you. I dunno how you came about talking trash without even knowing where I am coming from. When I said that it was "shady" I was trying to say that it is not a good deal. So how is it not shady?

And I know how it works, that is why I know that Compusa's stuff is cheaper at cost than other brands.

So before you go out and use all these swear words, read carefully. Thanks.

Just the way your comment was worded, it sounded pretty negative.

I don't love CompUSA that much, but hell, respect the business. It's not shady in anway, it's just what they have to do to get the paper. I apologize for the fact that I was overly harsh and blunt, I don't know what had come over me. Must've been a long day at work :cool: . I wouldn't go with the CompUSA DVD-R's anyway, they are only 1X media. I'm sure you're bound to find something faster and atleast close to the cost, or even lower. Look into Fuji Film...the company orders a shit ton of their media.

LOL, okay, guess we were both wrong on what each other was trying to say. Well, let me apologize also.

But yeah, I was not trying to diss Compusa, was basically trying to say that I get good discount on Compusa branded stuff, that's it. But with what I said, it probably does not sound like that when people sees it. It was one of those things when you are thinking about what you are trying to say but what you are typing is not what your mind is thinking about, ya know?

Yeah, they are 1x, supposedly they are Optodisc branded Compusa. Are Optodisc any good by any chance? I tried Googling and all I got was tons of places that sells them, but not some sort of a review against other types of medias.

And I am only needing 1x, that is also another reason. What I am trying to do is basically keep backups of all of the DVD medias I have, especially my PS2 games. When I let folks borrow my games, they tend to abuse the crap out of it, I feel like freakin blockbuster. When I get my games back, I see nasty marks on them. What I am planning on doing is backing them up and storing them. In a case where my games are not playable anymore, then I will have to purchase those Premodded Playstation 2 that I have seen on the For Sale Thread.

That is mainly the reason why I was asking. I have researched quite a bit, and for PS2 backups, it is best to burn at 1x on a DVD-R. So once again, I was just wondering if these Comp USA branded Optodiscs' were any good.

I will prolly pick up a few of these, some Memorex, and those Fuji that you were talking about. I have had good luck using Fuji CD-Rs, so yeah.

Once again, I apologize if my comments were rude, but thanks for the tips.

Alex

Back