Western Digital 160GB... 127GB?

melteye

[H]ard|Gawd
I just installed my new WD1600JB and after installing XP Pro I noticed that it left a 21GB section of the hard drive unallocated! I do not want two seperate partitions so this is a bit of a problem. Is there a way to combine the partitions or format it and reinstall XP so that it only uses it as one large partition?

Since the drive is displaying the rest in a second partition then apparently I already did that ;) I am wondering how I can install xp over one partition... Changing a registry setting does not work if you have no operating system.

When you boot from the CD and you shows all the partitions and asks you to pick which you would like to use delete both and create one with all the space it will allow you to use. Then select that partition for your install.

The partition shows up in windows, but not in the list when I boot from the XP cd... I have an idea though.

you need XP SP1 to see that other portion.

you either have to

1. create that partition before hand in XP and install on top of it (if you want a single partition drive)

2. create a partition for your OS, install XP, install SP1, then go into computer management and re-create partitions 2-?

3. get an XP SP1 CD

I would NEVER EVER have a system partition that big either. Microsoft specifically says not to go over around 70 GB. That's why this is never an issue. If you create like a 60 GB C drive, install XP, update it, etc...then adding the remaing space is easy, and the full correct amounts are shown.

Whats wrong with having a big system partion? I try to max mine out to make things easier to find... more drives adds to my confusion hehe

Back