Weird XP Problem!

Skream9

n00b
i'm having this really weird problem. i'm running 1.53ghz, 512mb ddr pc2100 + one stick of 256mb ddr pc2100

i run windows xp. currently i'm only utilizing 311mb of ram out of 768 so task manager says.. i've ran into this issue where when i click on something, like a program, it wont open. it just simply wont' execute. or, some things WILL run, like outlook express, but it will start looking like this... www.drirc.net/wtfisthis.gif -- see that? partial things show up, etc.

It's really annoying me. the programs just won't run. If i close a program, anything thats currently already running, then try re-running/reclicking that icon, it will run...

Does anybody have any idea as to why this happening? Any solutions?

I'm really desperate to fix this. It's a problem that's been bothering me for awhile.

I was having this prob all the time, so just the other day i went and bought another 512mb ddr pc2100 - installed it, shit was great

now its happening again, WITH ALL of this FREE ram left. I just don't get it.

Any feedback would be MUCH appreciated.

hmm...seems like some kind of ram speed problem maybe ? looking at that screenshot you have tons of things open and active....so maybe cpu ???

pc2100 ram isn't exactly fast nowadays...

I suggest downloading a memtesting app like memtest86+.

run memtest for a few hours and see if you get any errors in order to rule out hardware issues.

It sounds as if your os has become corrupt. Have you overclocked excessively, or run tras to low? If you have an ati card/winxp, enabling "large system cache" can cause hd corruption.

http://www.ati.com/support/infobase/4217.html

Were you downloading a crapload when you took that shot? The "behavior" you are describing seems to indicate you had the network and CPU pegged, which can happen running multiple instances of a download client (like BT) or possibly even an IRC client, depending on what you were doing with it. Obviously, you were doing a lot of something, which is probably where you are running into problems.

Just wondering: how much and when was the last time you defragmented?

I have never defragged yet. Yes, i know it is good for you and all that, but i cannot seem to find the time to do it over night. perhaps now is the time

also, i did find some viruses on my computer, removed them, problem didnt happen for a few days, now its happening again

At the time, the cpu wasn't pegged neither was the network. it just gets to a point where i run so many programs things that it just doesnt open anymore until i close something else

it feels like something is sucking up all the resources invisibly

shrug, i guess i will defrag, and if it gets real bad, reinstall

Back