Weird issue on LG B3

MavericK

Zero Cool
I'm having a weird problem that I haven't been able to resolve. We recently got an LG B3 OLED, and it seems to work great with an HTPC, except if it's been idle for a long time with the TV off (overnight, basically). When the TV turns back on, the HTPC display is just "no signal". The machine is on, it's not asleep (all apparent sleep settings are disabled), and moving the mouse does nothing. I have to hard boot the PC to get it back on.

The weirder thing is I had this happen on two different machines, both an older machine with a 1050 Ti, and a new Minisforum PC with a Radeon 780M. Makes me think it think it has to be the TV, right? Anyone experience this? I've turned off most, if not all of the TV power saving features (since they mess with brightness anyway) but still the same problem. I never had this issue with our old Samsung LCD TV.

EDIT: Only thing I could think might be part of the issue is that I got new 10' 8K certified HDMI cables to use. Maybe 10' is too long? I just got a few shorter ones so maybe I'll try those. The original PC was further away and needed a longer cable. The mini PC is small enough to sit right next to the TV.

Last edited:
I'm having a weird problem that I haven't been able to resolve. We recently got an LG B3 OLED, and it seems to work great with an HTPC, except if it's been idle for a long time with the TV off (overnight, basically). When the TV turns back on, the HTPC display is just "no signal". The machine is on, it's not asleep (all apparent sleep settings are disabled), and moving the mouse does nothing. I have to hard boot the PC to get it back on.

The weirder thing is I had this happen on two different machines, both an older machine with a 1050 Ti, and a new Minisforum PC with a Radeon 780M. Makes me think it think it has to be the TV, right? Anyone experience this? I've turned off most, if not all of the TV power saving features (since they mess with brightness anyway) but still the same problem. I never had this issue with our old Samsung LCD TV.

EDIT: Only thing I could think might be part of the issue is that I got new 10' 8K certified HDMI cables to use. Maybe 10' is too long? I just got a few shorter ones so maybe I'll try those. The original PC was further away and needed a longer cable. The mini PC is small enough to sit right next to the TV.
the tv firmware is up to date?
im using a cheap 10' 8k cable, no issues. it could be the cable but 10' should be fine. since you have new ones coming, try one of those.

the tv firmware is up to date?
im using a cheap 10' 8k cable, no issues. it could be the cable but 10' should be fine. since you have new ones coming, try one of those.
Yep, firmware is good, drivers are good, everything should be good. The old PC never had the issue with the old TV, but once I switched to the new one, it did. The only other change really was the HDMI cable. Outside of display settings like enabling HDR, which the old TV didn't do well.

Okay, so this is fucking weird. I replaced the cables, made sure the HTPC was on and working, and then tried turning off the TV. When I turned it back on immediately after, the PC was restarting itself after (presumably) crashing. So something about the TV powering on/off is causing the PC display driver (or entire machine) to crash. Whaa....?? And it did this on two different computers with two different GPU vendors.

Edit: BSOD said ks.sys error, which generally is driver related. I removed the AMD GPU software and driver and installed the one provided by Minisforum. Seems to be more stable so far, we'll see what it does tomorrow. I don't know why a driver issue on this machine would be the same as on a different GPU, though...

Also, kinda sucks because I don't have any of the AMD graphics options now.

Last edited:

I had this issue once with my C3. It happened when I left a Youtube video paused on my desktop when I turned the TV off. I haven't had it happen any other time.

I had this issue once with my C3. It happened when I left a Youtube video paused on my desktop when I turned the TV off. I haven't had it happen any other time.
That might be the case sometimes, but pretty rarely.

I think it might be fixed now, I found the Minisforum driver and AMD software package which seems to be working a lot better. Why I got the same issue with a completely different machine? Who knows. I don't think the TV is completely blameless, but as long as it's working, whatever. I also thought we were past having to use special driver sets for laptop GPUs, but apparently not.

Well, it still worked this morning after being off, but after work it was doing the "no signal" again. :rolleyes:

Not really sure what it could be.

Check the bios for repost video on resume switch and flip it if available.
I didn't see that in there, but I'll check again. I did disable power saving for the PCI-E interface in Windows, I read somewhere that might help. We'll see.

So far the issue hasn't recurred. So I guess it was a combination of bad drivers and the PCI-E power management setting? Dunno.

There was no BIOS setting that I could find. The Minisforum BIOS is pretty limited, it's almost on the level of the Steam Deck BIOS.

The more I research this, it does seem to be a problem between LG OLED TVs and PCs, nVidia or AMD, doesn't matter. Supposedly turning off "HDMI UHD Deep Color" on the TV can help, but this also disables the use of HDR, VRR and 120hz, so that's not really a solution. Some people said switching the cable helped, but I have tried that. It sounds like it may not be entirely fixable, at least not at the moment.

I got some new cables that were recommended by someone online that had a similar issue (these Zeskit Maya 2.1 HDMI cables, in case anyone looking at this thread later wonders), and I just swapped them over yesterday, but so far so good with the issue. Though it's still too early to call it done, since I had it work for a day or two in a row and then crap out again.

The Cable Matters ones I bought *should* be Ultra HD Certified, they have the sticker and QR code, but on closer inspection there are some differences:

1705382512877.jpeg

The Zeskit ones go to HDMI.org, the Cable Matters take me to some other link that wants me to download a "HDMI Certification" app. Apparently this is just the difference between the Gen 1 and Gen 2 labels, though, so I dunno. https://www.hdmi.org/spec21sub/ultrahighspeedcable

Anyway, if anything happens one way or the other, I will update.

Last edited:
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
Well, it worked without issue for about 2 or 3 days, then this morning back to No Signal. No idea, I guess it's just going to be the reality of the situation that I have to restart the computer.

A new cause of this issue popped up recently on my C3 when I quit a game. TV lost signal and wouldn't come back no matter what I did. I had to hard restart my PC.

A new cause of this issue popped up recently on my C3 when I quit a game. TV lost signal and wouldn't come back no matter what I did. I had to hard restart my PC.
The only thing I can think is that it has to do with EDID and/or HDMI handshakes, both of which work tenuously at best.

Another semi- related issue is that having my PC plugged into my AV receiver via HDMI causes this weird ghost display to show up when the receiver is off, presumably because it never goes off fully (low power state) and the computer sort of (but not really) detects a display there. It also causes my primary display to not sleep properly. It seems I need either an EDID emulator or A HDMI switch, both of which either only support HDMI 2.0 or are way too expensive. So what I have to do now is just unplug it from the back of the computer, which is a pain in the butt.

Now I'm not 100% sure what's going on, because I noticed that when the PC display stops working (sometimes? always?), it's also showing as offline in my remote management software. So it might be freezing up entirely or something. I'll need to see if I can get another display on there to see if there's any way to see what's going on.

Now I'm not 100% sure what's going on, because I noticed that when the PC display stops working (sometimes? always?), it's also showing as offline in my remote management software. So it might be freezing up entirely or something. I'll need to see if I can get another display on there to see if there's any way to see what's going on.
Could be a firmware issue. It was never an issue for mine until the 3.30.60 firmware update released on January 5th. The issue where I lost signal after quitting a game happened after the 3.30.70 update on January 16th. Both of those issues were unique in my case. I haven't had any issue in the past two weeks.

We installed a g3 in our kitchen sitting area yesterday and connected it to our first sff that isn't specifically a htpc, this time a Corsair 2000d air flow, 4 fancy noctua chromax a12x25 I think, the single tower push pull noctua hsf, 14700k and a 4080 with MSI z790 itx motherboard. It works perfectly though I need to get magic packet working with it.

Back