WDC AC34000L drive problems

M

mfm

I am attempting to salvage the data from a drive that for the most part has refused recently to boot up in a friend's 7 year-old PC. The drive is a WD caviar 34000. My friend says on occasion the drive would boot up, but lately it has gotten worse. The good part is my friend now has a new PC, but there are some files he would like to have (yes, he didn't have a backup).

I managed to get the drive to boot up as a slave on my PIII 800 system, Windows 98, Asus P2B-F, using the secondary IDE connection. It is the only device on that controller. The primary IDE controller has my boot drive. CD-ROM and burner are SCSI.

The drive is recognized by the BIOS as "WDC AC34000L". The bootup BIOS screen that displays the devices and modes lists this drive as "CHS. mode 4, 4000MB". The "CHS" part is new to me. I am used to "UMDA" on my system.

Once I am in Windows 98, I don't see the drive. Device Manager has a yellow exclaimation mark next to the Secondary IDE Controller (which is fine with my other 2nd hard drive that I removed for this attempt). The WD hard drive is not listed in the Hard Drives section of the Device Manager.

Does this sound like a crashed disk or is it possible that I have never loaded the proper drivers to recognize this type of drive ("CHS")?

Back