Watching videos on Linux?

Carlosinfl

Loves the juice
Guys - I am trying to find a program that will allow me to watch MPEG, WMV, AVI, .MOV and other common video extensions.

Is there a tool that I can download that opens them with no problems?

I was told that XINE is good but when I try and open wmp formats for Windows - it can't ... :confused:

Thanks for any recommendations on what to use and where to get it.

I usually use apt-get or YUM :D

on the xine website there are instructions on how to get wmv and other codecs. although when i set that up i still couldnt play all wmv files. but i suck at life so i probably just screwed something up.

mplayer is my pick - better postprocessing. And you can even run it in the console with svga. I do like xine too.

To be honest, I have three video players installed - mplayer, xine, vlc.

i prefer xine over mplayer. maybe i didn't configure mplayer properly, but it seems that it goofs up more often than xine on my box. either is fine, really.

666 said:
so from that I am guessing you recommend xine as a good media player ?
eh, i guess so. i was more just letting you know that there is a way to set it up to play more kinds of video

mplayer plays everything. Except for my seinfeld episodes. Though xine and vlc can't play those either. :confused:

I'm a big fan of xine... I've compiled nearly every release so far... with varying degrees of success. Currently, I have FC3 test 1 on AMD64 running xinelibe-1.0-rc5 and xine-ui-0.99 :)

Works great, even after I optimized the build all to hell!

If you compile yourself, you can specify which codecs to create... including wmv

Back