Wardriving is not illegal.... atleast not last i heard.

Brothernod

Limp Gawd
The last legal standing on wardriving I heard was that if someone does not enable wep on their network they have conciously decided to leave it open as a public access point. So if you are driving around and hop on the net off someone else's unencrypted connection that is perfectly fine, they choose to leave it open.

So why would a thread on wardriving get locked??

And on a side note, just enabling wep on your network is enough to keep most people out, and make sharing your connection illegal, but it is not enough to keep someone out that wants in. The linux equivelant of NetStumbler, AirSnort will crack WEP. Granted I believe they need about 2 gigs of network bandwith in order to do that, it's still easily doable if you leave your SID broadcast on.

Best way to secure your network is to first enable WEP.
2nd : Set your wireless to only allow MAC addresses that you have added to a permissions list. (This is a very strong deterant)
3rd Disable your SID broadcast if you can. I believe once windows XP has detected the SID and you've set it up as a trusted network it doesn't need the wifi card to broadcast the SID any more, but I'm not 100% positive.

Originally posted by Brothernod

Best way to secure your network is to first enable WEP.
2nd : Set your wireless to only allow MAC addresses that you have added to a permissions list. (This is a very strong deterant)
3rd Disable your SID broadcast if you can. I believe once windows XP has detected the SID and you've set it up as a trusted network it doesn't need the wifi card to broadcast the SID any more, but I'm not 100% positive.

Its easier to spoof a mac address than to break WEP.
Turning off the broadcast doesn't mean no one can get your SID.

Just use something like WPA instead.

But how can they figure out which mac address to spoof?

2nd : I have been told that the reason to turn off SID broadcast is not to prevent them from finding your network, but because it's one of the easiest ways for them to gain enough data to crack WEP.

also, i do believe by turning off your SID broadcast you are going to prevent a lot of the casual wardrivers from finding you since that is what they find networks based on correct?

Wardriving is legal, using someone else's network without their knowledge isn't. Think of it driving down the street where everyone has their front doors open. You are free to look in, but you can't go enter. Just because something can be accessed does not imply that it is permissable. That is a simple explaination, but accurate.

Threads are locked because they crossed the line where exploits are discussed. As long as the topic stays strictly on the act of wardriving and not the illegal use of an open network, they remain open.

Originally posted by MajorDomo
Wardriving is legal, using someone else's network without their knowledge isn't. Think of it driving down the street where everyone has their front doors open. You are free to look in, but you can't go enter. Just because something can be accessed does not imply that it is permissable. That is a simple explaination, but accurate.

Threads are locked because they crossed the line where exploits are discussed. As long as the topic stays strictly on the act of wardriving and not the illegal use of an open network, they remain open.

As of Jan 1, 2004, it is illegal to operate a computer in either front seat of a vehicle in California. It doesn't matter if it's the driver or passenger.

Originally posted by skritch
As of Jan 1, 2004, it is illegal to operate a computer in either front seat of a vehicle in California. It doesn't matter if it's the driver or passenger.

:eek:

that's ridiculous!

time to sit in the back seat :)

I'm sure that law isn't aimed at wardrivers exclusively.....I can think of a hundred reasons that you shouldn't use a computer in the front seat, but the passenger part throws that off a bit. That part of the law may be directed at wardriving without actually naming the reason to keep it out of court on first amendment rights. Regardless of the motor vehicle laws, the act of wardriving is legal on it's on merit as long as nothing is done with the information other than to log it. You could warwalk if you wish, but someone would probable mug you for your comp :p

Originally posted by MajorDomo
I'm sure that law isn't aimed at wardrivers exclusively.....I can think of a hundred reasons that you shouldn't use a computer in the front seat, but the passenger part throws that off a bit. That part of the law may be directed at wardriving without actually naming the reason to keep it out of court on first amendment rights. Regardless of the motor vehicle laws, the act of wardriving is legal on it's on merit as long as nothing is done with the information other than to log it. You could warwalk if you wish, but someone would probable mug you for your comp :p

Actually (and this has come up before, but in the networking forum) the federal prosecutors I talked with last year are of the opinion (an opinion with some weight, since it's their job to go after people for this sort of thing) that it's illegal, and they can make it stick.

They went so far as to warn the folks planning to be involved in a subsequent wardriving contest not to let their activities be observed by any of the many federal, state, and local authorities present, lest they be forced to act.

As for California and wardriving, I've had the police eye me suspiciously as a passenger while wardriving. Being a licensed HAM operator, however, I have a legal right to operate the equipment in question within the frequencies and power in question. Non-HAMs might have a bit of a problem.

As for warwalking, I devised a pocketable, easily-concealable warwalking rig in 2001. In fact, I'm the one that coined the terms, "warwalking" and, "warstrolling". Even back then, my standard wardriving rig was small enough to fit in a cargo pant pocket.

If you're going to wardrive, be VERY conversant in the relevant laws, and be aware that arguing them with an officer of the law at the point of questioning is NOT going to help you in any way, shape or form. It will, in fact, get you in more trouble.

I say this having two "wardriver" vinyl stickers on my car windows, a permanent floormount for my wardriving rig, and on occasion various antennae sprouting from my roof and trunk.

Of course, I'm already in violation of the new California law, because my car's head unit is a self-contained, in-dash Linux computer (an Empeg car stereo).

If you need to be stealthy, an equiped Pocket PC is all you need and what are they going to do, stop you for checking your calander?? They can't tell, and it's not suspicious.

Actually (and this has come up before, but in the networking forum) the federal prosecutors I talked with last year are of the opinion (an opinion with some weight, since it's their job to go after people for this sort of thing) that it's illegal, and they can make it stick.

They went so far as to warn the folks planning to be involved in a subsequent wardriving contest not to let their activities be observed by any of the many federal, state, and local authorities present, lest they be forced to act.

As for California and wardriving, I've had the police eye me suspiciously as a passenger while wardriving. Being a licensed HAM operator, however, I have a legal right to operate the equipment in question within the frequencies and power in question. Non-HAMs might have a bit of a problem.

As for warwalking, I devised a pocketable, easily-concealable warwalking rig in 2001. In fact, I'm the one that coined the terms, "warwalking" and, "warstrolling". Even back then, my standard wardriving rig was small enough to fit in a cargo pant pocket.

If you're going to wardrive, be VERY conversant in the relevant laws, and be aware that arguing them with an officer of the law at the point of questioning is NOT going to help you in any way, shape or form. It will, in fact, get you in more trouble.

I say this having two "wardriver" vinyl stickers on my car windows, a permanent floormount for my wardriving rig, and on occasion various antennae sprouting from my roof and trunk.

Of course, I'm already in violation of the new California law, because my car's head unit is a self-contained, in-dash Linux computer (an Empeg car stereo).

Its not actually a blanket ban, unless theres another new law that im unaware of. What it does do is bans the use of screens that can be used for "entertainment purposes" while the car is in motion, but allows for a number of uses for screens, gps and the like. It was a topic of interest in the carpc world, but its really nothing new, just an update of existing laws for new technology.

The relavent bits of the law are:

SECTION 1. Section 27602 of the Vehicle Code is amended to read:
27602. (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle if a television
receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any other,
similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video
signal that produces entertainment or business applications, is operating
and is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of
the driver 's seat, or is operating and visible to the driver while driving
the motor vehicle.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to the following equipment when
installed in a vehicle:
(1) A vehicle information display.
(2) A global positioning display.
(3) A mapping display.
(4) A visual display used to enhance or supplement the driver 's view
forward, behind, or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the purpose of
maneuvering the vehicle.
(5) A television receiver, video monitor, television or video screen,
or any other, similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast
or video signal, if that equipment has an interlock device that, when the
motor vehicle is driven, disables the equipment for all uses except as a
visual display as described in paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive.
(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to a mobile, digital terminal
installed in an authorized emergency vehicle or to a motor vehicle
providing emergency road service or roadside assistance.

Originally posted by SoulkeepHL
Its not actually a blanket ban, unless theres another new law that im unaware of. What it does do is bans the use of screens that can be used for "entertainment purposes" while the car is in motion, but allows for a number of uses for screens, gps and the like. It was a topic of interest in the carpc world, but its really nothing new, just an update of existing laws for new technology.

The relavent bits of the law are:

SECTION 1. Section 27602 of the Vehicle Code is amended to read:
27602. (a) A person may not drive a motor vehicle if a television
receiver, a video monitor, or a television or video screen, or any other,
similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast or video
signal that produces entertainment or business applications, is operating
and is located in the motor vehicle at any point forward of the back of
the driver 's seat, or is operating and visible to the driver while driving
the motor vehicle.
(b) Subdivision (a) does not apply to the following equipment when
installed in a vehicle:
(1) A vehicle information display.
(2) A global positioning display.
(3) A mapping display.
(4) A visual display used to enhance or supplement the driver 's view
forward, behind, or to the sides of a motor vehicle for the purpose of
maneuvering the vehicle.
(5) A television receiver, video monitor, television or video screen,
or any other, similar means of visually displaying a television broadcast
or video signal, if that equipment has an interlock device that, when the
motor vehicle is driven, disables the equipment for all uses except as a
visual display as described in paragraphs (1) to (4), inclusive.
(c) Subdivision (a) does not apply to a mobile, digital terminal
installed in an authorized emergency vehicle or to a motor vehicle
providing emergency road service or roadside assistance.

AB301, that took effect Jan 1 2004:

AB301

I believe the law you cited and AB301 have the same language. However, the practical uses cited (GPS, etc.) refer specifically to factory-installed equipment. Notebook computers are not included in the exempted devices.

Either way, it's a ticketable offense (an infraction).

AB301, that took effect Jan 1 2004:

AB301

I believe the law you cited and AB301 have the same language. However, the practical uses cited (GPS, etc.) refer specifically to factory-installed equipment. Notebook computers are not included in the exempted devices.

Either way, it's a ticketable offense (an infraction).

AB301 is indeed what I was quoting. The wording to take note of is installed, not necessicarily factory installed, which leads me to believe as long as what ever your using is physically attached to the car, as it would be for our carpcs, but in your case if you attached your laptop to a ram-mount or similar system, I'm sure you could argue that it is installed.

and to think, i almost got banned for just asking about this! and thanks for the info. I am really interested in this. and can palm pilots have Linux and WiFi?

Originally posted by SoulkeepHL
AB301 is indeed what I was quoting. The wording to take note of is installed, not necessicarily factory installed, which leads me to believe as long as what ever your using is physically attached to the car, as it would be for our carpcs, but in your case if you attached your laptop to a ram-mount or similar system, I'm sure you could argue that it is installed.

Good point. But the law does preclude the use of loose notebooks.

Just because it is legal, doesn't mean it is ethical. Of course my wireless connection is fairly secure so you bitches can go ahead and try all you want :D. I don't broadcast, i have 128bit wep, and I have all mac addresses blocked except to the cards I own.

Originally posted by Sofakinguseless
so a person "could" access a system while walking around with there pal pilot that has WiFi on it?

You don't need Linux for that.

Back