[Wanted] AMD 486

Haha yes that's right, I need an old AMD 486, I think it was socket 3, for this old system I got, but it was missing the processor :confused: I was wondering if anyone had one I could use for some no-deadline WU's for the [H]orde. Thanks, obviously I'll pay shipping, just let me know how much.

let me take a look around i know i had one down in the bat cave

Does it have to be AMD? Many companys made 486 chips... like I have a PNY 486 DX4 100 chip :) I upgraded it from my 486DX2/50 I was able to play mp3's but no video. ha... I love those cold pc's

well it doesn't have to be AMD, I just didn't know if it mattered....if it fits in a socket 3...then I guess it'll work.

sorry had a family member take a trip to the hospital will look as soon as i can

I've got a AMD 486DX2-66. If you want it, it's yours. PM me if you're interested.

Haha...folding on a 486, I'm not sure if it would even work. I've got a 5x86-133 sitting somewhere. I'm guessing it would fold even worse than my Via C3 though, and the C3 was pathetic.

Edit: I think I've got a Cyrix dx2/80 that's accessible if you're interested.

Majic said:
sorry only one i had left was tuned into a keychain. sorry

Thats exactly where mine is. I will look for another one, I thought I saw one laying around here somewhere.

/runs to find it

Nope, it was Socket 5...... :p

I've got a DX-50 at home and maybe a DX4-160 (DX-133 that would overclock to 40 MHz FSB). I think the poor FPU would make it so slow folding that the electricity costs would make this...unwise.

486 for folding? not worth the juice :( good thought though.

..I'd send one if I had one :D ...they got key chained years ago...

maybe once you get a chip you could sell the system for $50, and get a decent board / chip off FS/FT.. get some random parts from around here, and boom.. folding goodness on something a bit more this decade :eek: ;)

I know I have something that I'd let go for the price of shipping. I'll look the moment I get home. It's probably Intel, but I might have an Am486 around somewhere too.

If your Socket-3 mainboard is compatible with a Pentium Overdrive 63MHz, I'm pretty sure I've got one or two lying around (Pentium intended for 486 sockets) They also have rather nice integrated fans. If you up the bus speed from 25MHz to 33MHz, they should also overclock to Pentium 83MHz speed. I'll check and get back to you.

LoneWolf said:
I know I have something that I'd let go for the price of shipping. I'll look the moment I get home. It's probably Intel, but I might have an Am486 around somewhere too.

If your Socket-3 mainboard is compatible with a Pentium Overdrive 63MHz, I'm pretty sure I've got one or two lying around (Pentium intended for 486 sockets) They also have rather nice integrated fans. If you up the bus speed from 25MHz to 33MHz, they should also overclock to Pentium 83MHz speed. I'll check and get back to you.

I used to have one of those Overdrive chips, they were a nice performance boost without having to upgrade the entire system. It's too bad that they gave up on that idea.

To toymachineman19, I really don't want to crap on your thread, but in truth this isn't a very good idea. The amount of money it's going to cost you to to run the system is going to exceed it's worth as a folding client. My suggestion, unless you also have some other use for such an antiquated system, would be to pickup a Dell GX1 on eBay. You can pickup a mid-level Pentium 3 for less than $100 and the P2 version for less than $50.

i have an Intel486 DX4-100 right here with screw on heatsink, and its socket 3. as a matter of fact, i have a random socket 3 board that ill never use, so if you'd like that too, its yours.

Back