Wait for new celerons to upgrade?

Chris95TA

n00b
I currently have a 1.7 celeron running at ~2.1. It is slow compared to the 2.4-3Ghz p4s I have used so I really want to upgrade sooner than later. I have a P4PE motherboard, I saw on the roadmap that 3Ghz celerons are coming out with 256k cache instead of 128.....since I am on a budget should I wait for that chip? Would it be a huge performance difference from the current setup? If I were to upgrade now and do some overclocking what p4 would be suggested for my motherboard? (533 bus is the highest it can do I think as far as the processor.)

Current system basics:
Asus P4PE
corsair value pc3200 512MB
80GB western digital 8MB cache drive
ati radeon 8500

Thanks in advance for any advice

Yeah, you should see a large improvement with that upgrade.
The 1.7 celeron's are a pretty weak chip.

I do think you would be better off with a P4 2.66 or something like that.
But depending on the price of the chip, a 3 ghz would still be a nice jump for you.

I'd really have to recommend a P4 over a celeron. Celerons have been shown to perform dismally for their clock rates (even compared to Durons, much less a P4), so if your mobo can support a P4, I'd sooner go with that, than a celeron.

Maybe those new Celerons with the bigger cache will perform better than the current models, but until I see some benchmarks I would remain skeptical.

Originally posted by afong
I'd really have to recommend a P4 over a celeron. Celerons have been shown to perform dismally for their clock rates (even compared to Durons, much less a P4), so if your mobo can support a P4, I'd sooner go with that, than a celeron.

Maybe those new Celerons with the bigger cache will perform better than the current models, but until I see some benchmarks I would remain skeptical.
I also agree, mow a few more lawns and get the p4

Get a Pentium 4. Who's to say that the Prescott Celerons will even work on your motherboard?

Yep, I agree with the others about not getting another Celeron. I read somewhere that a 2.6ghz Celeron performs about the same as a 1.3ghz Duron. They have a fast clock rate, but Intel cut them down at the knees.

I get the New celerons cheap off IPD, that's the only reason i buy them, i have a 2.8celeron @ 3.6ghz in my Shuttle box.

But get a P4 if you can.

But the prescott celerons do look interesting. 256k cache if i remember.

Video encoding, F@H they murder Durons. But games they take a big hit.

The best i can do in 3dmark with a celeron is 14.5K. With a P4 at the same mhz about 21K

Thanks for the suggestions. I have decided to wait for the P4 prices to drop and get a 2.66 533 bus chip or faster and overclock it. When the newer chips start to come out I assume the lower speeds can do nothing but fall in price more and more.

This should give you an idea just how bad celerys really are...
Budget CPU Shootout on AnandTech

So yes, either get a P4 or switch mobos and get an Athlon XP. At least at the moment a 2500+ & NF2 mobo can be had for about the price of a 2.66. I'm not sure which would be faster/OC higher though since we're talking an 845PE board w/ a 533fsb cpu.

I live in NJ, USA.......it is like 9 degress and we can't see lawns, dern right its winter :)

I do not mow lawns anyway, 60 hours of my time a week is taken up between work and school......and I just got engaged a few months ago. I think every day about the type of rig(s) I could have built for the $6,000 I spent on the ring! Ugh, I cant even think about it :(

Originally posted by ziddey
but its winter!! :D
Maybe he lives in Cali or AZ or something. Just because i'm under a foot of snow dosn't mean he can't see HIS lawn:p
Anyways..... spend the extra few bux, then you wont have to upgrade in 6 months. Think long term. Unless your girl is realy [H]ard she won't let you get as many fun toys anymore.
Congrats BTW

Back