VR Headsets Are (Mostly) Comfortable With Glasses

HardOCP News

[H] News
I don't wear glasses so issues like this have never even occurred to me. Aside from contact lenses, I guess you'll just have to buy glasses that fit inside your VR headset.

No matter what headset I was using, I’m still finding that VR gives me a bit of a hangover-like headache after prolonged use. I can’t tell you whether this is a problem with my brain, with my glasses, or with the tech—my suspicion is that I’ll adapt to it with time—but I feel like staring through four lenses right up against your face is probably not the greatest idea for your vision.

I don't wear glasses so issues like this have never even occurred to me. Aside from contact lenses, I guess you'll just have to buy glasses that fit inside your VR headset.

No matter what headset I was using, I’m still finding that VR gives me a bit of a hangover-like headache after prolonged use. I can’t tell you whether this is a problem with my brain, with my glasses, or with the tech—my suspicion is that I’ll adapt to it with time—but I feel like staring through four lenses right up against your face is probably not the greatest idea for your vision.

Norm from Tested mentioned that out of all the VR headsets he has tested (which is all of them), he said the Playstation VR was the most comfortable for a glasses-wearer (which he is).

Those damn RealD glasses are terribly uncomfortable, it's nice to hear this won't be a problem with the significantly expensive headsets. Although come to think about it, I might not need to wear my glasses with a headset because nothing is going to be more than an inch from my eyeball.

TFA said:
Unfortunately, without glasses, I can’t see in VR properly.
Well that's a disappointment, was hoping to be able to use VR without wearing my glasses.

I read that there will be focus adjustments, and it's really close to your face. So if you can read something 2-3" from your face without glasses you should be fine. Now if you're farsighted, good luck.

I'll need to try these before buying or some place with an ironclad return policy like Amazon. I am so prone to visual motion sickness that I'm pretty sure I'm screwed. Unless they come with a puke bucket attachment on the front of them.

Some FPS games bother me more than others. Just depends on how smooth the motion is. Hard to explain.

I wear glasses and have Nvidia 3D glasses and even those are a bit uncomfortable on the nose when you have two pairs of glasses on. I've tried VR at Oxford Uni once and their headset made the bridge of my nose a bit sore too so don't think I am in for a VR headset.

I read that there will be focus adjustments, and it's really close to your face. So if you can read something 2-3" from your face without glasses you should be fine. Now if you're farsighted, good luck.

I'll need to try these before buying or some place with an ironclad return policy like Amazon. I am so prone to visual motion sickness that I'm pretty sure I'm screwed. Unless they come with a puke bucket attachment on the front of them.

Some FPS games bother me more than others. Just depends on how smooth the motion is. Hard to explain.
Could always get a horse feed bag, might need to line the inside of it to make it vomit resistant though.

I imagine at some point you will be able to rx the lenses in your vr headset. In the meantime there is always rimless Eyewear to reduce the bulkiness, Silhouette makes some pretty svelte 3 piece frames. Not cheap tho.

I'm pretty sure Oculus has already mentioned the RX thing being a feature a little further down the road.

I'm pretty nearsighted and I was able to take my glasses off and dial in a VR headset perfectly.
I'm sure a headset for people with really bad eye sight will become available so they can have prescription lenses in it.

I have to turn off motion blur in games cause that crap makes me want to puke after 10 mins. If there is no way to turn if off (which luckily, I haven't run into a game where you can't), then the game is unplayable for me.

I was contemplating on a projector before, but after watching my friend play Street Fighter and Fallout 4, I had to decline on that choice. I don't know if the refresh is too slow or what, but that was causing me to get sick too.

VR headsets is definitely one of those "try someone else's headset for a while, before even contemplating on buying one" kind of things for me. The minute or two you get to try at like a Best Buy or something along those lines isn't enough.

I imagine at some point you will be able to rx the lenses in your vr headset. In the meantime there is always rimless Eyewear to reduce the bulkiness, Silhouette makes some pretty svelte 3 piece frames. Not cheap tho.

Ya, makes me wonder why they didn't put diopter adjustments in them to begin with, but I'm sure they were just trying to keep costs down as much as possible.

That or they could have just made it where there was a place to put the diopter adjustment lens, but sell it separately. Kind of like a camera, where they some of them have it built in, but they sell separate higher strength diopter adjustment lenses can you can swap in/out.

Ya, makes me wonder why they didn't put diopter adjustments in them to begin with, but I'm sure they were just trying to keep costs down as much as possible.

That or they could have just made it where there was a place to put the diopter adjustment lens, but sell it separately. Kind of like a camera, where they some of them have it built in, but they sell separate higher strength diopter adjustment lenses can you can swap in/out.

That's not going to help people with astigmatism, you would need cylinder lenses with an axis adjustment as well, then you are basically talking about building a manual phoropter into your vr kit. That's impractical.

That's not going to help people with astigmatism, you would need cylinder lenses with an axis adjustment as well, then you are basically talking about building a manual phoropter into your vr kit. That's impractical.

Ya, a diopter adjustment lens is only going to help near/farsighted folks. Anyone else, kind of screwed, aside from just wearing their glasses with the VR headset on.

Back