VPN using routers

metal

n00b
Alright, my friend and I decided to set up a Virtual Private Network just to see if we could. We both use high-speed internet and use a router connected to the modem to get it (I have cable, he has DSL). VPN needs an IP address to establish the connection, so what address can you use if each of us are behind a router? The router's address doesn't seem to work, and I guess that makes sense, but how do I specify a certain computer that is using a router, for instance, even to ping it? We tried where he connected straight to the modem and we successfully set up the VPN that way, but we'd like to set it up even with routers connected so we can join the two networks with VPN. Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me out. In case it's important, I'm the client and my friend is set up to receive incoming connections, I just can't figure out which IP address to enter to connect to him, not his router.

In your friends router configuration, see if it gives you the option to set up a DMZ server. Basically, this will forward all traffic that gets sent to your router to his computer (DMZ on the cheap). After that, see if your router has a special option to allow PPTP. My Linksys cable router at home does...although I had to update the firmware to get that option.

I have seen DMZ in there before, I just didn't know that's what it did...though now that you mention it that does make sense. Thanks for your help. As far as PPTP I believe I've already enabled that but I'll make sure.

I say forget all that and I couldn't get it working with Microsofts built in VPN. The problem with me is that I was running a third party NAT (linksys personal router) and that NO MATTER WHAT I did it refused to pass GRE packets, even when I thought I could side step that probme I found another, the routed packets comming to the computer seemed to have a correct header pointing to the Personal router and not the source on the internet, and even when they did it would still look at the Personal router's internal address as the soruce of the connection.

All that is to say that if you aren't afraid of some config file work try. openvpn.sourceforget.net it works over one port and works very well for me

I have a Linksys at my house, so I know that it does work. It works well actually. Depending on your firmware version, you may have to update the firmware so that it will pass GRE data (the checkbox actually says PPTP, but it's still GRE).

I couldn't get it to work, the model I have has no newer firmware (I think they have given up on it) it works well if the server is outisde the rotuer, howerver if the server is behind it, no go.
'
I think that I almost got IPSec working, howerver using DMZ for a service that is ongoing is not an option.

Back