VPN Through ICS "Firewall"

Gunter

Weaksauce
Allright, ive got Verizon DSL, not the problem, a machine with the DSL Modem connected to the USB Port, that connection is the ICS Share starter.

On that link, I have port 1723 TCP and UDP forwarded to another machine in my internal network (192.1.1.147.) I think the problem is there.

Wherein, on the Laptop (192.1.1.147,) has a VPN Connection for work. The VPN connects fine, but whenever I try to retrieve E-Mail via Microsoft Outlook, says it cant find server 192.1.1.100 (Work's Mail Server.)

Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt the VPN put the laptop on the virtual network with work?

Shouldnt this work?

Any help, greatly appreciated.

Correct me if im wrong, but wouldnt the VPN put the laptop on the virtual network with work?

It'll get you to your VPN server, the rights on the server will determine where you can go from there. In my company the only thing we can VPN into is a terminal server which we can then get to our normal apps to work. Talk to your remote access guy, see what you should be able to see first then go from there.

If he forward the ports himself im pretty sure that makes him the remote access guy ;)

Can you ping/resolve the mail server?

Might pay to forward the ports to the mail server

Your Home IP scheme and Work IPscheme are on the same subnet? Change your home IP subnet. I betcha it can't route like that.

Are the IP's that you specify correct? or did you change them?

Well, instead I just put the Lappy stright into the DSL Modem, and it works fine like that. The other computer that's got ICS Enabled must be blocking the port.

When I do an ipconfig /all the subnet mask is 255.255.255.255. Wouldnt that make that address only able to see itself? At least thats what ive learned in my two years of the Cisco Program.

I think im just going to use Multi-Homing in Windows XP to just access the work network when I plug in the cable, and when I get home, plug in the DSL Cable. That seems to work for me, but im skeptical as to if it will work or not.

Originally posted by p0rt21
If he forward the ports himself im pretty sure that makes him the remote access guy ;)

Can you ping/resolve the mail server?

Might pay to forward the ports to the mail server

He's forwarding ports at home while running the client on his laptop to connect to a VPN server elsewhere, how does that make him the remote access guy? Most likely no ports need to be forwarded in the first place, I know I don't need to when I VPN from home to a VPN server at work. I think his issue is just more a limitation of ICS and it not handling the VPN traffic correctly...

Originally posted by Gunter
Well, instead I just put the Lappy stright into the DSL Modem, and it works fine like that. The other computer that's got ICS Enabled must be blocking the port.

When I do an ipconfig /all the subnet mask is 255.255.255.255. Wouldnt that make that address only able to see itself? At least thats what ive learned in my two years of the Cisco Program.

I think im just going to use Multi-Homing in Windows XP to just access the work network when I plug in the cable, and when I get home, plug in the DSL Cable. That seems to work for me, but im skeptical as to if it will work or not.

What's your IP scheme @ work? 192.1.1.X?
And What's the IP Scheme @ Home?192.1.1.X?

You can't route from one to the other...
Try changing your IP scheme @ home to 192.168.0.X

Back