Via PSU requirements?

bob

2[H]4U
After a few years of waiting and doing it later, I bought a C3. 800Mhz, jetway with 10/100 ethernet. It was open box, at $45... I couldnt resist.

its been sitting on my floor, in a mid-tower ATX case running Centos 4.5 for the past 2 days, just to make sure it wasnt broken seeing how it was open-box... Anyways, eventually im going to machine my own case out of steel or aluminum and have it completely sealed and fanless, also cramming in/integrating in a small switch so its more like a normal router.

What im having trouble with, is a fanless efficent PSU. Im already well aware of the Pico-PSU, but under no circumstances will I spend $50+ on something that has about 50 cents worth of parts. Ive found a few IC's for DC-DC switching, mostly 3-36v to 5v, and 3-36v to 12v, output current about 1.5-2A. Though, what im wondering about... I keep reading "+3.3V is converted from +5V" on any of the websites listing the board specifications. If it really came down to it, I could just use an LM317, LM7815, and LM7812 for 3.3v, 5v, and 12v... but this would give me about 30W of output power, with 20W of heat dissipation, or about 33% efficency. Since I do not live in antartica, im trying to avoid this option.

Either my multimeter is broken, or my Via board is drawing 3.36A on the 3.3v line. Without any input from the 3.3v line on my test-psu, the board refuses to power on. Im not sure if the PSU is using the 3.3v line to determine whether the motherboard is working, or whether the motherboard actaully needs 3.3v. Im trying to think back to the socket-370 era, and I do recall something about those cpus using the 5v line for the cpu/ram. Ive spent the past few hours googling for an answer, and I have found nothing usefull.

Does anyone here know if the Via boards actually require +3.3v?

Back