Very strange and rare problem - check it out...

sic wil

n00b
Hopefully this is only rare to me, as this is the first time something like this has happened. I searched the whole forum for an answer, which is why I'm resorting to posting. So, here goes.

First off, the specs.

AMD Opteron 146
Tyan Tiger K8WS
2 sticks of Corsair 512MB pc3200 400mhz memory
Maxtor SATA 120 GB HDD
Gainward Geforce 5900xt
Audigy 2 ZS sound
Got a Thermaltake k8 on the chip and 4 case fans in the box
400 watt PS
Downloaded all updates and drivers for hardware, everything installed.
Running XP Pro w/o sp1

Ok I checked everything, reseated everything twice. Checked connections twice. Tried a bigger PS.

And here's the deal. The computer starts fine. Posts, and even boots windows. No problems...except the damned machine won't restart. It won't soft reboot, hard reboot, won't come back after turning the power off. Whenever I start the process, the system will hang. So, for example. I hit restart in XP and it goes through everything, then looks like it will restart, then hangs. I then turn off the power, clear the CMOS memory, and power it on, and it'll start up again. Then everything is fine...except everytime I want to restart I need to clear the CMOS.

So, instead of buying a monkey and training him to do all this for me, I was hoping I could get some ideas from you guys/girls. If not, some good monkey names would be great.

Thanks!

Bongo is a great name... ;)

Seriously, try setting your hard drive tools to run some disk error checking next time you reboot...could just be some error in the drive sectors causing the hangs...I'm kinda guessing here a little...Its worth a shot...

Thanks for the tip. It was worth a shot, but alas, didn't work. Why couldn't I have been Amish and just not ever messed with computers?

Maybe a bios update needed? Is this a new rig you just built, or has the problem just now started to happen? I'm no expert but maybe it has to do with the ACPI functions of the board?

Woot fixed, i flashed the bios with the newest version available and that took care of it. Gotta love the surprises new hardware comes with. Thanks all for the input and take care.

I uh, should have thought of this before, but oh well, only human right?

I've had this problem with other boards. It's a bad/corrupted bios chip. Try ordering a new chip from the maker.

sic wil said:
Woot fixed, i flashed the bios with the newest version available and that took care of it. Gotta love the surprises new hardware comes with. Thanks all for the input and take care.

I uh, should have thought of this before, but oh well, only human right?

A BIOS Savior is a really good investment with any modern board.

Back