Very entry-level question(!): OSX

[FX]Roman

Gawd
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone could provide feedback or experience you've had with emulating OSX on a PC. Basically, I'm just trying to get it up and running so I can develop in the iPhone SDK.

Would love to hear anything -- I've done some searching around and have seen it's quite unstable and somewhat buggy. :(

[FX]Roman;1033564750 said:
Hi all,

I'm wondering if anyone could provide feedback or experience you've had with emulating OSX on a PC. Basically, I'm just trying to get it up and running so I can develop in the iPhone SDK.

Would love to hear anything -- I've done some searching around and have seen it's quite unstable and somewhat buggy. :(

Well, discussing Hackintoshes seems to be generally frowned upon here at [H], but the insanelymac forums would be a big help for you. Hope it's okay with the mods to at least point you in the right direction though. I will say that I would not virtualize it though, I would use one of the tricks you can learn at insanelymac to install a retail Leopard disc onto its own hard disk. I have 2 systems (in sig) running 10.5.6; and neither of them are unstable or buggy in the least, although it is usually adventures in terminal land everytime a system update comes out i.e. 10.5.5 -> 10.5.6 was fun....

can't legally be done in any virtual machine. Yet.

To say not in ANY virtual machine would be untrue. VMWare Fusion supports installing OS X in a VM - On a Mac; I believe Parallels does too. More properly, it can't legally be done in any virtual machine running on a PC.

I've heard of it done, however it would be very very slow at best. Certainly not an environment you would want to do dev work from. Sucks the iphone SDK is mac only doesn't it? And intel mac to boot, PPC users need not apply.

Best bet would be to either install to an old small capacity hard drive or make a partition on your current drive. It's fairly easy to point the windows bootloader to the mac os partition or the darwin bootloader will load windows as well. All the info you'd need is available on insanelymac.

Depends on how you define legality and the EULA as written by Apple. In 2008 there were several instances that I'm casually aware of where an EULA was taken into court and thrown out on its ass, basically...

"Apple labeled hardware" to me means it's got an official Apple logo sticker on it, who is going to tell me I'm incorrect if I take the Apple manufactured and provided Apple logo sticker in my Leopard Retail DVD box and stick it on a Dell laptop running OS that this "Hackintosh" isn't a piece of "Apple labeled hardware."

People should really stop saying "legally" when there's no precedent for putting someone in prison for violating (ooo... strong word) the so-called "terms" of a written agreement that is highly questionable and yet to be proven in a court of law as enforceable.

As the guy that released the world's first generic OSx86 installation DVD in late 2005, believe me, I have more than enough experience to stand my ground - and emails from Apple Legal to prove it. :) I helped the OSx86 Project get started, and I own a retail boxed copy of OSX 10.5 Leopard and I'll do whatever the hell I damned well please with it. I paid for it, that's my right...

(goes off to install iWork 09 on the HP laptop running OSx86 100%...) ;)

And yes, InsanelyMac is the place for this sort of discussion without limits... head on over there...

I've heard of it done, however it would be very very slow at best.

I can say from experience that this is entirely untrue.

Best bet would be to either install to an old small capacity hard drive or make a partition on your current drive. It's fairly easy to point the windows bootloader to the mac os partition or the darwin bootloader will load windows as well. All the info you'd need is available on insanelymac.

This is not anymore *legal* then using it in a VM.
It is also much more difficult, and there is no way to tell if all your hardware will work. This is where a VM makes this easier.

To say not in ANY virtual machine would be untrue. VMWare Fusion supports installing OS X in a VM - On a Mac; I believe Parallels does too. More properly, it can't legally be done in any virtual machine running on a PC.

lol, ok, I didn't htink of that.

Depends on how you define legality and the EULA as written by Apple. In 2008 there were several instances that I'm casually aware of where an EULA was taken into court and thrown out on its ass, basically...

"Apple labeled hardware" to me means it's got an official Apple logo sticker on it, who is going to tell me I'm incorrect if I take the Apple manufactured and provided Apple logo sticker in my Leopard Retail DVD box and stick it on a Dell laptop running OS that this "Hackintosh" isn't a piece of "Apple labeled hardware."

People should really stop saying "legally" when there's no precedent for putting someone in prison for violating (ooo... strong word) the so-called "terms" of a written agreement that is highly questionable and yet to be proven in a court of law as enforceable.

As the guy that released the world's first generic OSx86 installation DVD in late 2005, believe me, I have more than enough experience to stand my ground - and emails from Apple Legal to prove it. :) I helped the OSx86 Project get started, and I own a retail boxed copy of OSX 10.5 Leopard and I'll do whatever the hell I damned well please with it. I paid for it, that's my right...

(goes off to install iWork 09 on the HP laptop running OSx86 100%...) ;)

And yes, InsanelyMac is the place for this sort of discussion without limits... head on over there...

a company making a VM product that could run OSX on a PC and releases it would be sued, and the cost for defending that makes it not financially viable, no matter who wins. It might not effect YOU, but It'd effect Xen/Parallels/VMware/etc.

I have run it in a VM. It can be done. Although, it's about as much fun as virtualizing an ESX(i) server, for configuring the .VMX files, etc. Kind of a PITA, and there's not much use for doing Mac on a PC< other than to do it.

The opposite is not true, obviously. Lots of people who have Macs run Windows or Linux. Something about Windows and Linux actually having a decent software library, or something...I can't recall. :rolleyes:

Tiger 10.4.10 seems to run well in a 2-core VM with 1024MB allocated on VMWare Workstation 6.5; e6550 @ 3.15GHz/2GB host.

Back