USBnet, USB-USB, Network Adapter WIN-XP driver

sailor

Limp Gawd
I have an Entrega USBnet, USB to USB, Network Adapter with WIN95 drivers. Later, to use it with WIN98 I found I needed a patch but I still get it to work. Entrega was bought by Xircom who renamed it Portgear USBNet. Then Xircom was bought by Intel.

Now I want to use it with WIN-XP but cannot find drivers. I tried installing the WIN98 drivers but XP refuses them saying something is missing in the INF file.

http://www.intel.com/support/xc/shared/XPsupport.htm says
= = = = = = = = = = = =
Xircom® PortGear USBnet (USB to USB) Network Adapter (U1-U1, PGUNET).
NO Xircom Drivers for Windows XP.
NO Microsoft Drivers Included with Windows XP.
NO XP Support
= = = = = = = = = = = =

Anyone know where I can find drivers for XP or adapt the WIN98 drivers so it will work with XP?
It seems to me it must be fairly simple.

Unless there's some 2000 drivers out there for it and you can get them to load into XP, your about out of luck.

I believe I have seen drivers for 2000 or could it be that the same drivers were for Win98 *and* 2000? Can you explain why the drivers for 2000 are more likely to work?

It seems to me that probably all it would take is some changes in the INF file and the DLLs would work without changes?

NT, 2000, and XP are all built on the same type of kernal where 98 wasn't, drivers for 2000 have a chance at working because of that. If that doesn't work, your about out of luck unless you know how to write your own drivers...

I have seen Win98 drivers work on 2k and xp, if you're really lucky. Have you tried all available drivers, even for competing products?

I have not tried drivers for competing products and I'll give that a try. The problem I have with the WIN98 drivers is not that they won't work but that they won't even install as XP refuses to install saying there is something missing in the INF file so I am thinking it might not be difficult to put whatever is missing in there and install them. I just need to know what's missing but I don't know the first thing about INF files and their cryptic contents.

Back