Unstable AMD Duron CPU

gigabyte1024

[H]ard|Gawd
I've been an Intel guy for while, but I've always had a AMD computer. (1 of 5)

It was an Athlon 1300, then the core broke and I got a Duron 1600. The motherboard I had didn't recognize the chip so I figured it was time to upgrade that too.

I got an MSI K7N2-V nForce 2 chipset board.
It doesn't recogize the chip as a Duron either.

I've installed the latest nForce drivers (3.13).
I have the latest BIOS MSI offers... however the whole system is a bit unstable.

When I try to run F@H, the computer shuts off.
When I try to install something using a MS installer (Diskeeper for example) the computer shuts off.

This is with 512MB corsiar RAM on Windows XP Pro sp1 and a new 360W Enlight PSU.

Any help before I give up on AMD completly?

Thanks,
>Br@d

Make sure that the MSI supports the new Duron with the new Bios. Some don't - not sure about yours. It sounds like you have an issue somewhere that's making it unstable. Don't give up on AMD yet - LOL. I'd be willing to bet money that the AMD cpu isn't the problem.

FIY, I know for sure that the nf7 didn't support the duron 1300 and 1600 till bios 2.3somthing was released. So check up on the bios readme's from msi.

Originally posted by CentronMe
What are your temps?

118 - 122 F idle.

I have BIOS 5.2 and according to MSI's update program, it's the latest.

I'm going to check CPU support/compatability later today.

Are these Durons just not popular or what?
Why wouldn't a name brand maker support these?

>Brad

Turns out I've some crap OEM board.
I'll probably send this POS back.

Anyone recommend a good budget socket A board?

Thanks,

>Brad

A your at 50 degrees at idel, personally I would say that is a problem. When you have the chip start to do anything, F@H and Diskkeaper, I would think you may be overheating it just a bit.

I was looking at that board a week or so ago. Googling and even searching MSI's web page turned up little to no results. To them it does not exsist. That was enough for me.

Check your cooling first, I think that is where your problem is. If you still have problems RMA it back to newegg. If you want a single channel NF2 then look at the DFI NFII 400-AL for $59 or for a good cheap dual channel get the Shuttle AN35N-Ultra at $62.00. Both good boards. I have had a few of the Shuttles and my only complaint is the sould can be a little flaky, but still a good board with a good range of overclocking options.

Thanks for info Centron, I decided on an Asus A7N8X-X.

I've always liked Asus and this board has some decent specs at a decent price.

>Br@d

Back