unlocked vs locked psu

Dome

2[H]4U
does being able to adjust multiplier make guarauntee higher o/c? or just make it easier or what?

i have a locked 2500+ and i have got it to 220FSB with Corsair 3200LL Pro 2-3-2-6 at 2.7V on my NF7 S rev 2

my Vcore is at 1.725V

IMHO the locked multi makes no difference. its all dependant on the CPU and what it is capable of.

and of course good RAM.

C

Makes it easier or allows for a higher potential overclock, depending on your memory. Let's say I have some PC3200 that will run at 200MHz FSB but not any faster. If my chip is locked at an 11 multiplier, that means I can run 11x200 = 2200 and not a bit faster. Ok, now suppose the chip is capable of running at 2400MHz (max the CPU will do, regardless of other components). With my memory that only hits 200MHz, I could get to that max speed of 2400MHz with an unlocked multi because I could just dial in 12x200 = 2400. If my multi was locked at 11, I'd need RAM that can run 218 or 219MHz FSB to hit the CPUs max overclock because 11x218 = 2398. If I was locked at 11 and had RAM that only did 200MHz FSB, the max overclock I could get is 11x200= 2200, which is less than the 2400MHz the chip is capable of. Get it?

the barton 2500's past week 39 i think are locked meaning their multipliers can't be changed.

i don't know why they would do this tho...

ahh...heh...heh...uh....*runs away*

typo, but oh well you know what i'm talkin about

besides, only the l3373est of the l337 know how to unlock a PSU for ultimate performance...

Originally posted by dotZIP
what exactly is a locked/unlocked PSU? :p
yeah, I was lucky, my Antec 330W came unlocked, with a couple heatsinks I was able to get it to 440W easy...:p

Yeah, my truepower 430 was made after week 39, and was factory locked. I tried the unlocking trick, but it didn't work. I think I fried it :(

truepowers heat up a lot when you unlock them, you have to install that aftermarket watercooling system to keep them to a decent temperature.

i went ahead and used the 100% gold waterblock for better heat transfer

then of course you always have to watch the voltages too. when you unlock a PSU you sometimes have to really raise its Vcore to get it stable.

no doubt that will bring on the heat!!

Back