Underclocking i7-12700K / 3070FE... Haven't messed with oc / undervolting in a long time a few ?

atarione

2[H]4U
So my PC is as follows::
i7-12700K / Z690 Aorus Elite AX (DDR5) / 32GB DDR5 5600 (Corsair)
RTX3070FE
Samsung 980Pro 2TB (and some other SSDs and a 1TB NVMe SP drive).
Seasonic X750 powersupply.

So far all I did was not touch anything but the offset which is currently set at -0.03 I tried -0.05 and it locked up running cinebench R23 ..the -0.03 doesn't lock up w/ cinebench but I haven't really stability tested it beyond this... seems to have knocked watts down some (using a watt meter and HWMonitor reports max package watts at 171.22 now vs 181~ before) and temps are about ~3C better on hottest core during cinebench run which was ~82C before (it is HOT here about 100F outside and about 82F in the house) to 79C now.

Questions... am I doing this right it seems like the right way for basic undervolt from what I read looking at a few threads on this? .... I should stability tests more / try to find out how far between -0.03 to -0.05 won't like cinebench up I suppose? but for now I may just test this a little bit and get back to work?

Also am I understanding correctly that basically the "only" way to undervolt a nvidia 3070 is using afterburner and applying the undervolt everytime ?

I appreciate any feedback on this... and yes I have been a member here for far to long to be this much of an undervolting noob...but it is what it is. =p

Well, I read (I miss when this was easier to do vs. watching some youtubers 15minute video..but I digress).. and tried some more stuff, For now I left the offset the same -0.03V and then additionally downloaded afterburner and undervolted the RTX3070FE to 1815MHz @ 900mV ... The results have been somewhat exciting (term used subjectively?) GPU temps are down about 5C on GPU and Hotspot readings... Power use of the card had been 250W~ (max) and now 191W is the reported max. Additionally my watt meter device shows power draw from wall down during gaming from 470W to more like 410W~ (max). My max cpu temps have also dropped from 81~C (cinebench r23 hottest core) to 77C on cinebench run on hottest core... I have used this pc all day yesterday and this morning and Have not encountered any stability issues thus far. screenshot4.png

Do you use cinebench a lot? I bet you could cut it back a decent bit more if it's just a gaming PC.

Do you use cinebench a lot? I bet you could cut it back a decent bit more if it's just a gaming PC.
Well no not a lot of cinebench but I do use this computer for work (as well as gaming).... I am more worried about keeping it stable than "maximizing" the undervolt. It is also a bit of a time issue, because tweaking / test to squeeze more results out could start taking up more time than I really want to spend on this project.. I may however give a go at dropping the voltages down a bit more, as time allows /and or if it the weather persists in the heat wave.

Back