Unboxing of New Sun 21in GDM20E20 (Sony) CRT

Status
Not open for further replies.

cesarioFL71

Limp Gawd
Very nice piece of analog kit from 1997! She came crated and as well protected as a baby in the womb. :) This unit will have been the precursor to the Sun GDM 5410 21" CRT. Unfortunately, can't try her out until my DB13W3 to VGA adapter gets here from Sun Corp. Here's some pics for posterity's sake... :)

I don't anticipate purchasing any more crt monitors in the future so this unit will likely be my last pick up. :( Oled is the way forward but still in 2023 nothing matches "the glass" as Unkle VIto would say back in 2007 for SDR content. I stand by that based on my own experience with both types of tech.

So the story behind these NIB units that keep popping up from Sun is this. I met a guy who worked for the General Services Administration of the government recently. He'd process purchase orders for various departments for IT equipment. He informed me that a bunch of these units were offloaded back in 2004 after sitting on various military bases for half a decade. He tells me that to this day there are still very likely NIB Sun GDM-5410 and Sun X267A units like the one on this post still out in the wild in some wholesale warehouse :)

https://shrubbery.net/~heas/sun-feh-2_1/Devices/Monitor/MONITOR_Color_20_Premium_CRT.html

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back