Unable to o/c my Barton 2500+ to 200 FSB...could it be the PSU?

gaeko

Weaksauce
When I initially purchased a Barton 2500+ processor, I was able to o/c it to 200 fsb thus getting the speeds of a 3200+. Then I installed an Audigy 2 ZS and the system started rebooting when trying to load up windows. Lowering the FSB to 180 alleviated this problem, but I can't figure out why I can't get my FSB to 200 again. The memory timings were all relaxed, and I tried upping the VCORE. A friend of mine suggested that my PSU that came with my case was a poor one and maybe it wasn't efficiently powering the processor when overclocked. Here are the specs of my computer, my question is....should I try to purchase a better PSU to get the 200 FSB overclock? Here are my specs...

AMD 2500+ o/ced with 180 FSB w/ Thermaltake 7+ Volcano
Samsung 512 PC2700 ram
Asus A7N8X mobo
80 gig WD 8 meg cache
160 gig Maxtor 8 meg cache
Lite-on DVD-Rom
Lite-on CD-RW
MSI GeForce 4 Ti4200 64 Meg o/ced 300/600
Audigy 2 ZS

sorry my mistake, I thought I put that in there...

turbolink cwt-420atx

take out the audigy and see if you can OC the cpu again.

if you can, then it's probably the PSU. It can't provide enough power to the audigy and have steady power to the cpu.

sounds to me like your 12v rail is gettin sucked upo by the audigy.

they take some juice out of your mobo and that will definitly hurt your 12v rail from your PSU.

definitly wanna update the PSU. thats an EL cheap-o PSU.

those sound cards always require a solid 12v line running thru your PCB to operate. not only will your CPU not get enough volts. all your rails will drop, and your system may be damaged due to undervolting. it will definitly resrict your OC and will also restrict all your other componants. get a nice antec or PC power and cooling PSU and youll be set. dont buy under 430W PSU and look to make sure your getting at least 15-18 amps on the 12v line and at least 35+ on your 3.3 and 5.5v lines.

C

Sorry, I forgot to mention that I tried taking out the Audigy2 and the system was stable...but not for long periods of time. This is at 200 fsb. My roommate has an Antec 300 Watt TruePower PSU that he can give me...is it not worth even trying to use it? I'm a college student and it hurts to pay an xtra 100 bucks for a PSU. I want to at least try using it...unless you guys are strongly against it. Also, can anyone point out a specific PSU I should consider purchasing?

antec builds solid power supplies, i say use it for a while and see how it works out for you

I bet that Antec would perform better then your current one anyway. I have used those 420 Turbolink ones before and had similiar stability issues until I swapped it out.

thanks a lot for your help guys, I'm gonna give it a shot tonight and will let u kno of the results!

I have a 350 watt enlight and I'm running 9800 pro, audigy 2, 1 harddrive, 2 cd drives. I was unable to oc my 2500+ to 200fsb stable either. I was thinking that it was just an unlucky cpu but could it be my power supply as well? I have a cheap 420 watt raidmax that I could use instead but I don't think that would be any better. How should I check if it's the psu without having to switch out psus? Oc and then check out my voltages with MBM ? See if they are low?

well I got an Antec 300 Watt model no. SL300S currently installed. Very surprisingly I have upped the FSB to 200, therefore achieving a 2.21 ghz clock. At the default VCORE it would freeze at the Windows boot up screen, so I had to up the VCORE all the way to 1.800. It's been an hour so far and I have played Max Payne 2 for a bit and everything seems to be running OK.

Now....can anyone suggest a decent PSU to purchase? I hate to spend money on a PSU, but I want my machine runnin at its fullest potential.

It might make more sense to just buy an Antec case that comes with a 350watt psu. I like the Performance II AMG myself, its about $70 over at newegg last I remember. I like it.

I think your motherboard could be part of the problem. Is it rev. 1 or 2? If it is a 1 they have a hard time hitting 200 FSB without voltmods and additional northbridge cooling. I have a rev. 1 and It does only 192 FSB stable. If it is a rev. 2 though they are meant for 200 fsb and should not have a problem.

Originally posted by Liqwid122
I think your motherboard could be part of the problem. Is it rev. 1 or 2? If it is a 1 they have a hard time hitting 200 FSB without voltmods and additional northbridge cooling. I have a rev. 1 and It does only 192 FSB stable. If it is a rev. 2 though they are meant for 200 fsb and should not have a problem.

I have heard this as well, how do I determine the rev. on my board?

Also I have been eyeing an Antec PP412X 412 Watt PSU. I found it for about 40 bucks off one website which seems like a good deal. Sound sufficient to run my machine?

Back