Typical NVR and security cameras setup inside a house, how to improve security?

sram

[H]ard|Gawd
I have an NVR with 9 cameras attached to it. The NVR has its own NIC and DHCP enabled and is providing ip addresses to the cameras but using different subnet. This setup was provided to me by a local shop. I have other cameras connected directly to my router via wifi and I can access them directly from any camera app, but not the cameras connected to the NVR. The cameras connected to the NVR can be viewed from an app linked to the NVR cloud account.

I don't think having the NVR connected to the cloud and using its own mobile app to view the feeds is the safest option. I'm sure it is better to disable the NVR cloud and use another way to access the feeds. I can connect to my home LAN remotely via a VPN connection (My router supports it), and then access the NVR web interface and view the feeds. That's more secure than the NVR traditional method. But it is less practical and less convenient. It is much easier to view the feeds using the mobile app specially with a mobile phone. If you are away from home, and you decided to connect to your home LAN using your phone, it will be hard to navigate the web interface with a mobile browser. I want to disable the cloud option in the NVR, and I'm wandering if there is a way to add the cameras to an app while they are on a different subnet? I think you will have to use port forwarding in one way or another which will consequently lower your security so that's not the best way. I don't know, it is something to discuss. This is beyond my knowledge in networking so all help is appreciated.

In other words, what do you network gurus do when you install security cameras from a local shop to better protect your privacy? Maybe the question is wrong? Because network gurus will install and setup their own security cameras and connect them to their NAS surveillance software.

Thanks.

the only NVR I had was an old SAMSUNG SDR-B74301 bnc style 1080- bnc camera setup. the dvr used wisenet app and I could view in house or if I did port forwarding, i could view from outside the house. Also had noip domain name and every month i had to remember to click the email and renew else I lost access...
it worked but was frustrating...

now I have gone ReoLink 4k POE cameras and each one has 256gb micro sd card in them. I was contemplating an nvr as well but have since decided to go BlueIris. I installed it but feld I needed more oomf so building a pc to do so as my nvr.

I liked the simplicity of the samsung nvr i had.. heck gave it to a friend with a shop and he is using it... it is from 2016!!!!!

the only NVR I had was an old SAMSUNG SDR-B74301 bnc style 1080- bnc camera setup. the dvr used wisenet app and I could view in house or if I did port forwarding, i could view from outside the house. Also had noip domain name and every month i had to remember to click the email and renew else I lost access...
it worked but was frustrating...

now I have gone ReoLink 4k POE cameras and each one has 256gb micro sd card in them. I was contemplating an nvr as well but have since decided to go BlueIris. I installed it but feld I needed more oomf so building a pc to do so as my nvr.

I liked the simplicity of the samsung nvr i had.. heck gave it to a friend with a shop and he is using it... it is from 2016!!!!!
Yeah I also use port forwarding and noip DDNS to view some of my cameras from outside. It is not the safest option though. So your cameras get their IP addresses from the NVR?

What brand is the hardware? A firewall rule could probably be all that is needed to block cloud access.
I can disable the cloud account using the NVR settings that's no problem. But I want to still be able to use the app, that's the problem.

NVR is UNV NVR302-16S2-P16

Yeah I also use port forwarding and noip DDNS to view some of my cameras from outside. It is not the safest option though. So your cameras get their IP addresses from the NVR?
my current setup...
cameras are not connected to an nvr as I do not have one.
I have memory in each camera, IP obtained from network router

Back