Trying to upgrade to Win 11 on my Ryzen 5 3400G, says I need TPM 2.0 enabled?

jordan12

[H]F Junkie
So I am not sure exactly what this means. I know this Proc is on the approved list. But not sure what this TPM thing is..

You guys know what this means?

It’s a bios setting you can set to enabled on most AM4 boards.
What mobo do you have?

Isn't a 3400g zen+, not zen2? Only Zen2 and later have TPM. You may need to use a bypass tool on the windows image to get it to install (something like Rufus to edit it).

I got the TPM going. I was able to enable secure boot. But when I do the PC health check, it claims secure is not turned on. Even though the BIOS says otherwise. I might be at a Win 10 stopping point.

My advice would be to simply use one of the many bypass methods and install it anyway. Keep in mind that when you use one of the System Requirments bypass methods, it does NOT actually change anything about the OS itself, it simply skips that check during that step of the install process. So, for example, even if you installed using a bypass with TPM and/or Secure Boot disabled, it wouldn't prevent you from enabling those features after-the-fact and still benefiting from those features.

One thing that might be holding back Secure Boot is if you have CSM enabled in the BIOS. I believe that if you have any form of CSM enabled, then it doesn't technically meet the full requirements for Secure Boot.

As far as TPM goes, there was a point where if your chip supported at least TPM 1.4, you could install via the ISO (even without a bypass), even though you couldn't install via Windows Update. I don't know if that's still the case. At this point I just use the same install media (with bypass) to install Windows 11 on all systems, even those that don't actually need the bypass, since it's all 100% the same once Windows 11 is installed.

My advice would be to simply use one of the many bypass methods and install it anyway. Keep in mind that when you use one of the System Requirments bypass methods, it does NOT actually change anything about the OS itself, it simply skips that check during that step of the install process. So, for example, even if you installed using a bypass with TPM and/or Secure Boot disabled, it wouldn't prevent you from enabling those features after-the-fact and still benefiting from those features.

One thing that might be holding back Secure Boot is if you have CSM enabled in the BIOS. I believe that if you have any form of CSM enabled, then it doesn't technically meet the full requirements for Secure Boot.

As far as TPM goes, there was a point where if your chip supported at least TPM 1.4, you could install via the ISO (even without a bypass), even though you couldn't install via Windows Update. I don't know if that's still the case. At this point I just use the same install media (with bypass) to install Windows 11 on all systems, even those that don't actually need the bypass, since it's all 100% the same once Windows 11 is installed.
I always thought that installing with a bypass method would not allow you to update to the very latest version of it. I think you could not go to 22H2 or something like that. Am I wrong?

I always thought that installing with a bypass method would not allow you to update to the very latest version of it. I think you could not go to 22H2 or something like that. Am I wrong?
seems to work fine for me.

op, make sure ftpm is turned on in the bios, its needed along with the secure boot.

You have feature updates such as 21H2, 22H2, and the upcoming 23H2, that are released once per year (formerly twice per year). Windows Update does it's own checks to determine hardware eligibility, and this is fully independent of how Windows 11 was originally installed. Also note that when these feature updates are released, they are done as a phased rollout, meaning that even among those who are eligible, it won't offer it to everyone at the same time, with some not being offered the upgrade until many months later.

This does not apply to "smaller" updates, including monthly "Cumulative Updates", which now include many things formerly reserved for feature updates, as well as security updates. Every computer will always get these, until that version is no longer supported.

Because the yearly feature updates are released as a phased rollout, with some eligible computers intentionally not seeing them for quite some time until after release, it's been very difficult to test exactly what might disqualify certain computers from receiving them. I can say for certain that it has nothing to do with how Windows 11 was installed, as I've had eligible computers get offered the update immediately even when a bypass was used. But if your computer is not eligible, there is a good chance that whatever required the bypass during the initial install would also cause future checks to prevent once-per-year feature updates from being offered.

But the good news is that you can simply upgrade to the new version of Windows 11 anyway, any time you want to. Just download the new ISO, use the bypass again, and do an in-place upgrade (use a 22H2 ISO to upgrade a system still on 21H2, the same way that you would upgrade from Windows 10 to Windows 11). This takes maybe 10-15 minutes on most systems that have an SSD. I end up doing this even on most eligible systems, simply because waiting for them to offer it to you via the phased rollout is obnoxious, and I prefer to install the new feature update right when it's released. Doing this once per year is a non-issue as long as it's a system that you actually manage.

TL;DR: it's fine, just disable the blocker on install & go for it. I've done so on multiple installs w/o issue.

-bZj

I am having the same problem doing a clean install on a Ryzen 5 5500. fTPM is enabled in the BIOS but Windows 11 says the PC doesn't meet the requirements. Didn't have this issue on the 4 other Ryzen builds I did.

I am having the same problem doing a clean install on a Ryzen 5 5500. fTPM is enabled in the BIOS but Windows 11 says the PC doesn't meet the requirements. Didn't have this issue on the 4 other Ryzen builds I did.
secure boot is on? are you doing a fresh install or an upgrade?

Secure Boot is enabled. It is a fresh install on all brand new hardware.
Asrock X570 Phantom 4 Gaming
AMD Ryzen 5 5500
16 gb Corsair Dominator 3600
WD Black NVME 1TB

It's for my wife to watch Netflix and do her scrapbook sruff.

Secure Boot is enabled. It is a fresh install on all brand new hardware.
Asrock X570 Phantom 4 Gaming
AMD Ryzen 5 5500
16 gb Corsair Dominator 3600
WD Black NVME 1TB

It's for my wife to watch Netflix and do her scrapbook sruff.
update the bios and do a reset after. them make sure both SB and fTMP are enabled and try again. you also might need to make sure "security device" is enable under advanced>trusted computing too.
or do the reg edit work around from within setup.

I am at work so I downloaded the newest BIOS. I am not sure what version is on it now but I figured I would give that a shot. Thanks for the help pendragon1

Back