Trying to decide between two builds [Intel] or [AMD] - some parts already purchased

Grady

Weaksauce
Hello!

This build will be primarily for gaming. Photoshop/AI secondary. It will be on 1440p, 34" UW x2, looking for ultra graphics on all games. In the US. Budget is $3,500+/-.

Intel Build
:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/9GZ4MV

AMD Build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/Q2cZJy

So, I initially started gathering parts for this build earlier this week. I've always been an Intel guy, so I naturally defaulted to the 13700K. I'm upgrading from the 8700K. I have already purchased basically the entire Intel build, but after talking to some other enthusiast friends, they suggested I take another look at AMD. I've never built AMD before. After looking, the Ryzen 7 7800X3D is a gaming beast and so I wanted to give it a fair shot. I used the same parts that I could for both builds. The only parts not purchased yet are the placeholder parts in pcpartspicker. The HYTE Y70 case hasn't released yet and the Lian Li Galahad LCD II AIO cooler released yesterday and will be delivered next week. My goal with this post is to determine if I should return the Intel parts and go with the AMD or just stay with the Intel build.

The PCIe5 is really just for a small bit of futureproofing (as much as that's possible). I just know that with Intel, you share the PCIe 5 lanes with the GPU and the m.2 gen 5 slot. This isn't the case with AMD and that's one of the reasons I'm entertaining AMD. And really the only choice I need help deciding on is whether or not it's worth returning the Intel CPU/MB/RAM and going with AMD so I can utilize the PCIe5 m.2 without having to share it with the PCIe GPU slot. I also believe the current AMD socket will be around for a while longer. The current Intel socket will be changed with their next 15th gen CPU lineup, thus killing upgradability in the future. But, this may not be enough reason to change course. I don't know.

Thank you!

pcie 5 isnt going to help unless you need the speed for file transfers/braggin rights, but id still go amd.

Looks like you would spend about $200 less going AMD and getting a "mid-range" motherboard.
On the other hand Intel is more familiar, which can be worth it in some cases.

pcie 5 isnt going to help unless you need the speed for file transfers/braggin rights, but id still go amd.
What about the PCIe5 lanes that will be halved for the 4090 on the Intel board if shared with a PCIe5 m.2? Is that even a consideration?

Looks like you would spend about $200 less going AMD and getting a "mid-range" motherboard.
On the other hand Intel is more familiar, which can be worth it in some cases.
Yeah, the AMD board options weren't very impressive. And there definitely weren't as many to choose from as there was with Intel. And I am definitely more familiar with Intel.

I've been Team Red in the CPU department for two rounds now. 3600 and 5800X3D. Zero issues. Work fantastic. Zero reason to do Intel.

Well, unless there are any other objections/thoughts/opinions, it appears AMD is the way to go.

I'll just return the Intel stuff.

For gaming I like the AMD build better. For office style work the Intel. For serious work I would get the AMD build with ECC memory.

For gaming I like the AMD build better. For office style work the Intel. For serious work I would get the AMD build with ECC memory.
Yeah, this build is 100% for gaming and general use with some Photoshop/AI work occasionally.

It will be my daily driver for everything.

Last edited:
One more thing, and sorry to keep this alive, may I request help on picking a solid AMD board? The one I chose has bad m.2 layouts and I just can't find one with decent overall reviews.

Last edited:
I went with intel because I am like you, more familiar with Intel. I built AMD before years ago and never jived with me. I bought an AMD card and disliked it's performance also.

Don't feed into the whole power consumption argument that is only at full load on cinebench or benchmarks etc. Both platforms intel/amd are comparable and trade blows in games it's pretty much a wash. That's why I would say stick with what you know and like.

For the GPU it's the 4090 for sure don't fool around with anything else lol max out everything and never look back. (The argument could be made for a lesser value 4080 for 1440p but I would just go 4090 in case you go 2160p in the near future.)

I went with intel because I am like you, more familiar with Intel. I built AMD before years ago and never jived with me. I bought an AMD card and disliked it's performance also.

Don't feed into the whole power consumption argument that is only at full load on cinebench or benchmarks etc. Both platforms intel/amd are comparable and trade blows in games it's pretty much a wash. That's why I would say stick with what you know and like.

For the GPU it's the 4090 for sure don't fool around with anything else lol max out everything and never look back. (The argument could be made for a lesser value 4080 for 1440p but I would just go 4090 in case you go 2160p in the near future.)
Yeah, my only concern really is for the Intel boards, you share PCIe5 lanes with the PCIe5 m.2 slot, thus halving your PCIe5 slot for the 4090. Granted, not a huge deal. Maybe a 1-10% loss depending on the game but, it doesn't leave much future-proofing. This is the only reason I'm hedging a bit on the Intel.

One more thing, and sorry to keep this alive, may I request help on picking a solid AMD board? The one I chose has bad m.2 layouts and I just can't find one with decent overall reviews.
Asrock B650E Taichi Lite (Newegg link)

There is no need for X670(E) for most people IMHO. You get 1 PCIe 5.0 x16 slot, 1 PCIe 5.0 x4 NVME, and 2 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME slots. This looks to be a really solid board with great I/O, good onboard audio, POST code and quality components. Plus it's right around the same price as the board you were originally looking at it.

1697920905432.png

I would argue this is not a negligible difference during gaming. Taken from here

There is no need for X670(E) for most people IMHO. You get 1 PCIe 5.0 x16 slot, 1 PCIe 5.0 x4 NVME, and 2 PCIe 4.0 X4 NVME slots. This looks to be a really solid board with great I/O, good onboard audio, POST code and quality components. Plus it's right around the same price as the board you were originally looking at it.
So, interestingly enough! The Taichi boards look amazing and I have been looking at them all day but I saw they are E-ATX and unless the new HYTE Y70 case (releasing on Tuesday) can support E-ATX, I won't be able to use these boards (even though they do look like the best of all AMD boards with PCIe5). The HYTE Y60 doesn't support E-ATX either.

So, interestingly enough! The Taichi boards look amazing and I have been looking at them all day but I saw they are E-ATX and unless the new HYTE Y70 case (releasing on Tuesday) can support E-ATX, I won't be able to use these boards (even though they do look like the best of all AMD boards with PCIe5). The HYTE Y60 doesn't support E-ATX either.
That board is tough to beat IMHO. Have you considered getting a case that can accommodate E-ATX boards?

If you're 100% set on the case and need standard ATX I guess I would throw out a recommendation for the Asus ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming WiFi (pcpartpicker link)

That board is tough to beat IMHO. Have you considered getting a case that can accommodate E-ATX boards?

If you're 100% set on the case and need standard ATX I guess I would throw out a recommendation for the Asus ROG Strix B650E-E Gaming WiFi (pcpartpicker link)
I haven't but perhaps I should. I just love the fish tank look, although I know it's not for everyone. For the Asus board, did they fix their issues with thermals or blowing up or whatever the actual issue was? I've read some super bad reviews on this generation of AMD Asus boards.

I haven't but perhaps I should. I just love the fish tank look, although I know it's not for everyone. For the Asus board, did they fix their issues with thermals or blowing up or whatever the actual issue was? I've read some super bad reviews on this generation of AMD Asus boards.
Yes (just update BIOS if you buy it to latest, shipping BIOS could be questionable for long term usage potentially)

I would argue this is not a negligible difference during gaming.
80 watt and that a possibly on a bit of a worst case 1080p scenario when the CPU is more fully used than normal, not nothing obviously but we are talking about someone that already own a 360mm AIO and 1200watt PSU, starting for scrath it could be more of a factor.

Thats a 275 btu heater or 2x 40 watt light bulb in a room, definitely not negligible, but one of the nice thing would be saving on PSU-cooling option (or less noise with the lesser cooling option), would not necessarily apply here.

has for the op

Do you find value on the better iGPU ? Historically the Adobe suite work well with Intel iGPU/cpu.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...core-processors-content-creation-review-2369/

pic_disp.jpg

How much do you mind the return process ?

13700k could be a significantly better option for your specific photoshop type workload while a significantly lesser in some ways in games, if the hardware choice is 100% for gaming and will be good enough for the rest regardless (discrete GPU being used, 8 zen5 core will be quite something anyway), the AM5/7800x3d seem a non brainer to me.

Platform more possible to have a nice upgrade on it, maybe a 9950x3d or something of the sort, maybe not maybe the Am5 motherboard will get cheap and much better than the first batch will be irrelevant., but maybe, 7800x3d being close to the gaming champ at a nice price an like often under 100watt and should run at his maximum on cheap motherboard.

5800x3d work perfectly fine on b350 or x370 motherboard after all....

Last edited:

I ended up going with this board and got the 7800x3D with the G.SKILL RAM in the pcpartpicker link in the original post.

Final AMD build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ftHNz6

Everything look good?

80 watt and that a possibly on a bit of a worst case 1080p scenario when the CPU is more fully used than normal, not nothing obviously but we are talking about someone that already own a 360mm AIO and 1200watt PSU, starting for scrath it could be more of a factor.

Thats a 275 btu heater or 2x 40 watt light bulb in a room, definitely not negligible, but one of the nice thing would be saving on PSU-cooling option (or less noise with the lesser cooling option), would not necessarily apply here.

has for the op

Do you find value on the better iGPU ? Historically the Adobe suite work well with Intel iGPU/cpu.

https://www.pugetsystems.com/labs/a...core-processors-content-creation-review-2369/

View attachment 607929

How much do you mind the return process ?

13700k could be a significantly better option for your specific photoshop type workload while a significantly lesser in some ways in games, if the hardware choice is 100% for gaming and will be good enough for the rest regardless (discrete GPU being used, 8 zen5 core will be quite something anyway), the AM5/7800x3d seem a non brainer to me.

Platform more possible to have a nice upgrade on it, maybe a 9950x3d or something of the sort, maybe not maybe the Am5 motherboard will get cheap and much better than the first batch will be irrelevant., but maybe, 7800x3d being close to the gaming champ at a nice price an like often under 100watt and should run at his maximum on cheap motherboard.

5800x3d work perfectly fine on b350 or x370 motherboard after all....
Honestly, I don't mind returning the Intel stuff. Everything was delivered within the last 2 days and it's all still unopened, so shouldn't be too much of a problem to return.

I ended up going with this board and got the 7800x3D with the G.SKILL RAM in the pcpartpicker link in the original post.

Final AMD build:
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ftHNz6

Everything look good?
Looks perfectly fine to me.

Some stuff I would do that others would probably think is silly, swap out the Samsung 990 Pro for TeamGroup Z440. Decent cost saving, slower read/write (5000/4200 MB/s vs 7450/6900 MB/s), triple the endurance at a rating of 3600TBW vs 1200TBW on the 990 Pro. Nothing wrong with the 990 Pro though. I also probably wouldn't buy a PCIe 5.0 drive at all, just because the motherboard has it doesn't mean you need to fill it. The 990 Pro (or any "fast" PCIe 4.0 drive like the WD SN850X or whatever) will be fine and not sure how much real world difference that 5.0 drive will make as a boot drive.

edit: wait, didn't you say the E-ATX board wouldn't fit in your case?????

Last edited:
Looks perfectly fine to me.

Some stuff I would do that others would probably think is silly, swap out the Samsung 990 Pro for TeamGroup Z440. Decent cost saving, slower read/write (5000/4200 MB/s vs 7450/6900 MB/s), triple the endurance at a rating of 3600TBW vs 1200TBW on the 990 Pro. Nothing wrong with the 990 Pro though. I also probably wouldn't buy a PCIe 5.0 drive at all, just because the motherboard has it doesn't mean you need to fill it. The 990 Pro (or any "fast" PCIe 4.0 drive like the WD SN850X or whatever) will be fine and not sure how much real world difference that 5.0 drive will make as a boot drive.

edit: wait, didn't you say the E-ATX board wouldn't fit in your case?????

Yeah, I haven't bought any drives yet. Going to do more research into them before pulling the trigger. Those are just "the best" I put in there as a baseline to start. From the tests I've seen, the m.2 gen 5 drives are literally double what gen 4 are (sequential) and I don't know...maybe I'll find a use where it utilizes the speeds. Ultimately, I just wanted the motherboard to support these drives in the event I wanted them now or in the future. Have it and not need it vs need it and not have it, kind of thing.

And yeah, after our exchange here I went and dug a little more and I found a few people that were able to make the E-ATX motherboards work in that particular case. So, seemed like it was fine to go ahead and get.

View attachment 607925

I would argue this is not a negligible difference during gaming. Taken from here
Yea it uses more power but you can't really compare a 8 core to a 24 core or a 16 core to a 24 core. Plus 50 or 75 watt isn't a big enough difference for someone who prefers and is comfortable with Intel for years to just completely jump ship. If it's worth it for your or others cool, for me no way I'll just go with the tried n true route that I'm comfortable with and be fine.

Back