Touch pad vs touch point

MYST1K

Gawd
I've been looking at laptops for school and I'm really leaning towards IBM's X series. My only concern is the touch point. I really like using a touch pad. Seeing as no one makes laptops with touch points anymore, I have no way of trying it out myself. How is the control for a touch point? Does it take long to get used to?

I've been wondering why hasn't IBM moved to put touch pads in their X series. I think they've done it with their T series.

It is all about preference. It doesn't take too long to get use to either one.

Personally, I prefer using the track pad like you. Just something that I have gotten use to. But if forced to use the track point, I wouldn't have any problems at all with it.

I find myself useing both depending on what I'm doing, for general use I usally use the touchpad, but for browsing the web I find myself useing the touchpoint alot for some reason.

i cant stand the touchpads on compaq's or dells, but i LOVE my trackpoint on my IBM thinkpad. hell i can play halo with it :eek:

as stated above, its a matter of preference

Originally posted by Morpheus256
i cant stand the touchpads on compaq's or dells, but i LOVE my trackpoint on my IBM thinkpad. hell i can play halo with it :eek:

wow, I can't even play games with a touchpad. Well, that coming from a long-time PC user

It really depends on the type of work you are doing, touch pads are good for web browsing and touchpoints are good for very accurate work such as image editing.

It also comes down to personal prefrence.

I always thought I'd hate trackpoints because I always was so slow with it when I borrowed my brother's laptop. However, soon after that I got a Thinkpad A21 for free which only had a trackpoint so I was forced to use/learn it. Now, I'm much faster with a trackpoint.

Trackpoints are excellent, excellent control and definition compared to a trackpad.

With a trackpad i feel like an invalid.

Try to get a computer with both, then you can choose which one to use depending on what you're doing.

Both suck in my opinion...I use my Mouseman Optical Traveller whenever I can. ;)

I personally got used to the touchpoint when I got my first thinkpad and have perferred them over touchpads ever since. It is a preference thing but regardless you would get used to either one which ever was on your laptop. Thinkpads are now shipping with both depending on the model you get.

Back