ti4600 still any good?

dirty_dan

Weaksauce
hey guys im in the market for a new vid card and im on a pretty tight budget. im mainly going to be playing alot of CS and some unreal. so is this card good still?

dirty_dan said:
hey guys im in the market for a new vid card and im on a pretty tight budget. im mainly going to be playing alot of CS and some unreal. so is this card good still?

For those games yes, but you just cant crank up the resolution too high if you are talking about UT2004, but it will get the job done relativly easily in HL and if you keep like a 1024x768 resolution in UT.

i run a ti4600. runs everything great. farcry at about 30-40 fps 1024x768 med details. utk24 1280x1024 maxed at about 60 fps in deathmatch maps 25-40 in onslaught. great card.

That was the last really great Nvidia card up until the 6800 series was released.

check the gforce 4ti series lasted longer in my box than any other video card i bought. just bought a 9800 pro.... it has been in my machine for about 2 weeks. as soon as i can get a 6800gt or an ultra it will be replaced.... the funds are available but the part is proving difficult to source. :mad:

the nvidia 4x00 series will run anygame on the market at decent framerates when paired with a decent CPU/RAM and the ingame video settings are set correctly.

joemama said:
That was the last really great Nvidia card up until the 6800 series was released.

Damn right it was!
I just replaced mine with a 6800GT.

I had a Ti4200 and it ran these games fine at 800x600 with decent quality settings. But I upgraded to the 6800GT.

Schadenfroh said:
the nvidia 4x00 series will run anygame on the market at decent framerates when paired with a decent CPU/RAM and the ingame video settings are set correctly.
Not quite. The 4600 cannot do any DX9 effects. It can still run the games, usually at good res and speed, but you will miss out on some of the new effects. So I guess you are right if you are fine with missing some of the bells and whistles.

Farcry still looks pretty good. I still have mine (6800gt on order should arrive this week :D ) and it works just fine, but yeah dx9 is one of the big reasons for the upgrade and all that extra speed.

Best card I ever bought and will play all currently released games just fine.

Gargoyle_Hunter said:
Not quite. The 4600 cannot do any DX9 effects. It can still run the games, usually at good res and speed, but you will miss out on some of the new effects. So I guess you are right if you are fine with missing some of the bells and whistles.
extrea features like what? pixel shader 2.0. new vertex shaders? it all looks like same to be honest. only downside i see on the card is low 3dmakr 03 scores. casue of the lack of dx9 support.

The lack of DX9 support is really the only downside, and it may not be a downside at all depending upon what games you are playing. The 4x00 series still performes great, my Abit still kicks after almost 2 years and overclocks pretty damn good.

But those drive all the cool effects like dynamic lighting that make games like Doom 3 spookier. Plus that one effect where only one model is drawn, but used multiple times in the screen, for like lots of grass or soldiers. Sure, you dont need these, but you are not experiencing the game the way the developers meant for it to be seen. There are already DX9 games out there, and most of all the new games coming out look to be DX9 also. 6 months ago, there weren't enough DX9 games out to recommend a new card. But now, I think you at least have to stop and think about getting a card that supports the new stuff.

As for the original post, if all you are playing is CS and UT2K4 (both DX8.1), the 4600 is a freaking awesome card for those. I have one and it plays great.

I just replaced my geforce 4 ti4600 with a pny geforce 6800...I wish it was a gt though. :(

But it should get the job done...I hope...

Back