Thermaltake WaterCooling

DemonDiablo

[H]ard|Gawd
Let me just start of saying (cause I know how you [H]ardcore DIY guys feel about kits after only being on this forum for like 3 days) that I know that half of you guys saw this topic header and only came in hear to flam...ahem give constructive critisim but I would much rather hear some good advice weather if it be for or against so long as its good advice.

Im a n00blet to the world of WC'ing I just setup a Koolance 650 case with a koolance cpu-300-v10 water block and I got to say im very impressed with the results of it both visually (very exoctic) and temp wise. Now I have two rigs and I would like to setup my main rig the AMD one up with WC'ing sometime later in the yr.

I was thinking about going with a Thermaltake Aquarius setup because I have a Thermaltake Xaser 3 black case and I think it would look sweet together plus from the reviews of the Aquarius its a pretty nice WC kit. But the thing is when I get this Im probably gonna be getting it with an A64 (dont know which proc, ill know when the time comes...when Win XP 64 comes) and I want to know some of your thoughts on this because I know there are a lot of [H]ardCore guys here who have been doing this stuff for quite some time.

Please do keep in mind that I am a newb to WC'ing and while its not like a DIY kit is not an option id rather it be more like get this kit and maybe throw out that part and put this part in in its place.

Thanks for any replies (the ones that "constructive critisim" as well)

Are you planning on getting the thermaltake aquarius II or thermaltake aquarius III? The thermaltake aquarius III supports AMD 64 processors and uses smaller tubing, which might limit your waterblock options if you ever decide to get a different waterblock in the future.

The thermaltake aquarius III is pretty to look at but overpriced. Another pretty but overpriced kit is the zalman reserator, which you should look into if you want totally silent cooling.

Some reserator reviews
http://www.driverheaven.net/reviews/zalmanwater/
http://www.bit-tech.net/review/315/

Keep in mind that neither kit represents the epitome of watercooling performance. You might get the same temps with these kits as you would if you had good air cooling.

In my opinion though, you should really look into DIY watercooling. It really isn't all that hard to setup or get good parts, and if you have any questions I'm sure this forum would be happy to help.

It would be the Aquarius 3. I've read reviews on Zalman's new WC'ing venture and its nice but I need something I can OC with.

As for DIY what would you suggest? I orginaly was gonna go the DIY way with Switech parts but I decided that I should test the water before just jumping the hell in.

Thanks for the good suggestions

Many people agree that swiftech and dangerden both make good waterblocks. If I were you, I'd get the dangerden TDX which is their latest block. Here's a review: http://reviews.pimprig.com/cooling/dangerden_tdx_&_s-tdx_blocks.php

You'll also need a radiator. I recommend the double or single heatercore with shroud from dangerden. You'll also need a spare 120mm fan to mount on the heatercore.

Eheim makes quiet, reliable pumps. Years ago I got a used eheim 1250 that still runs perfectly to this day in my watercooling setup despite being used in my aquarium previously.

Tubing and resevoir are up to you. Get whatever fits in your case/budget best. It's also wise to invest in hose clamps.

Once you get everything together, assemble it before putting it in your computer and leak test it for a day or so.

If your going to go for a double heatercore, instead of buying a heatercore from dangerden, try this guy. His rads come with fans, fan grills, and shroud (also a spiffy coat of paint :) ). The same kit but from dangerden = $78

Back