Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE $35.90

I have an unopened Peerless sitting on the floor since last November, upgraded to a 5900X while still running my Wraith Prism. Maybe the old Corsair Air case is helping. Must get around to installing it.
Yeah I get like that. After about a year I upgraded my son's video card and i had to reattach the fans on the BeQuiet Dark Rock cooler. They were both hanging by 1 point each on the sink.So when I did the card, then I did his fans :ROFLMAO: The upgrade was from a GTX 670 to a 1080Ti Ftw3 Hybrid. The card sat in the box for about a year. I kept staring at it and saying to myself: yeah I better get to swapping that out, but never did until this past Friday.

Dunno why I just don't jump to it and get it done right then....strange....:D

Not that bad to install it was the fan clips that took me the longest to figure out
This was on my Gigabyte X570 MB with the Ryzen 9 5900X
Bleh, I truly hate fan clips from any and all manufacturers. I just remounted my u12a and it took me a full 5 minutes to remember how the friggin things went on the fans (despite having done it a million times)! I guess it's one of those deals where I despise it so utterly and completely that my subconscious instantly wipes it from my memory. 😂

I may pick one up for this 5700x now that I fixed it's issue with the Wraith Prism and not to wanting boost up on it's own! in my old azz x470 bios that Wraith Prism will only work in auto fan mode with the switch on fan in hp mode. it's rocking now on BS memory and stock fan, just alittle more work and 4.6Ghz work load on it's auto overclock/curve optimizer is in reach!

https://valid.x86.fr/9s7zhg

Installed mine today. Couldn't really screw it in further for mounting brackets/back plate. Same for the tower itself on the mounting brackets. Tower is slightly canted by around 1-2mm to one side. I assume that is okay. I assume it is fully seated because the screws wouldn't go in further but hard to see due to the massive size once installed.

Overall easiest cooler install outside of the Wraith I've ever done. Will mess around with rendering videos and games later to see how it works.

Installed mine today. Couldn't really screw it in further for mounting brackets/back plate. Same for the tower itself on the mounting brackets. Tower is slightly canted by around 1-2mm to one side. I assume that is okay. I assume it is fully seated because the screws wouldn't go in further but hard to see due to the massive size once installed.

Overall easiest cooler install outside of the Wraith I've ever done. Will mess around with rendering videos and games later to see how it works.
no it shouldnt be tilted. i would double check it...
edit: unless you mean how the plate is offset
753267_1666657670013.png

Last edited:
no it shouldnt be tilted. i would double check it...

Might do that. Honestly pretty easy to get on/off overall. I would say it is about 1-2mm pointing left. Height seems to be perfectly aligned.

Last of Us Shader compile. This is without the latest patches, so the puts CPU usage up there as you can see. This build is from a few weeks ago. Won't update it, will use for CPU temp testing.

:ROFLMAO:

1683857275542.jpeg

71C spike was earlier. Look good? Might still give it a re-seat anyways.

Last edited:
Twisted/canted/whatever, probably my fault anyways, this thing is still impressive. I'll re-seat it eventually but it seems to be working. It isn't exactly hot yet but this is a good bit cooler than my previous CPU cooler. HW Monitor claims this is running at 1250 RPM, but my previous cooler was more noisy at the same RPM. This is very reasonable noise wise, I hardly hear it. Doing an H264 encode with Handbrake, set to very slow (highest quality/compression, longer compress time). So far this thing is hitting 65C max. Handbrake usually gets my CPU hotter, into the 70s.

For $40, this seems like quite the cooler.

I ran a 10 pass loop of Cinebench r23 on my 5700x with the AMD cooler that came with my 3700x, it hit 88.8c but held 4.42Ghz the whole test, I had already seen Ryzen Master Curve Op take the chip to 92c setting it up. it scored 15,123 with a stock cooler.

I ran a 10 pass loop of Cinebench r23 on my 5700x with the AMD cooler that came with my 3700x, it hit 88.8c but held 4.42Ghz the whole test, I had already seen Ryzen Master Curve Op take the chip to 92c setting it up. it scored 15,123 with a stock cooler.
ok, what do you get with the topic cooler?

Seems impressive. I wonder how it would fare on a 5950X OC? While I know that a powerful AIO would likely keep the temps lower, I wonder if this Thermalright (or really, any of the similar models from Thermalright or Noctua) would allow a 5950X to reach the maximum performance of the chip (both PBO single/few core, and manual OC many/all core) without throttling or coming close to any temps of potential concern?

Seems impressive. I wonder how it would fare on a 5950X OC? While I know that a powerful AIO would likely keep the temps lower, I wonder if this Thermalright (or really, any of the similar models from Thermalright or Noctua) would allow a 5950X to reach the maximum performance of the chip (both PBO single/few core, and manual OC many/all core) without throttling or coming close to any temps of potential concern?
For 5950X go with PS120(SE) or FC140 if you want to run high power and boost. PA120(SE) can cool it, but at 240w PPT it is about 10c warmer.

I just bought some silent wings 4 fans for my 120 SE - really getting annoyed at the current fans "coil"" soundi when temps go up. The SW 4's have a much higher RPM's than the stock fans and apparently are more silent, I'm' hoping these are a good upgrade for the solid 120SE

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I just bought some silent wings 4 fans for my 120 SE - really getting annoyed at the current fans "coil"" soundi when temps go up. The SW 4's have a much higher RPM's than the stock fans and apparently are more silent, I'm' hoping these are a good upgrade for the solid 120SE
SW4 high speed are loud at their max speed. But, at usual speeds, they are great. And Be Quiet’s build quality is supreme.

That said, I have heard SW4 may not be as quiet, as pull fan. If that ends up true, you may want to get an SW3 for any pull orientations.

As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
ok, what do you get with the topic cooler?
I would need to buy another cooler or do a transplant to the B550 rig with 5600x, I been thinking of switching the cpu's out and putting the 5700x on the PCIe 4 mother board under the PA 120 SE, I don't think that cooler would fit in the case the 5700x is in, my RTX 3070 is on it's side with a Riser Mount. it can be done and I just may do it for you!

SW4 high speed are loud at their max speed. But, at usual speeds, they are great. And Be Quiet’s build quality is supreme.

That said, I have heard SW4 may not be as quiet, as pull fan. If that ends up true, you may want to get an SW3 for any pull orientations.
Just an update - the fans can definitely be heard but they're not as "whiny" as the OEM ones.

I would like to point out - my idle temps have actually increased slightly (Mid 40's), but my overall highest temps dropped dramattically. I fiddled with the fan speeds too - still the same outcome.

OEM FANS -
Idles at 40 to 43c - with my current voltage/oc
Gaming - 60 to 80c - pending on the game (BF2042 is just crazy taxing on my cpu and gets to 80c pretty quick, which I disliked)

SW4HS Fans -
Idles at 43 to 45c - plus or minus one degree with different fan speeds
Gaming - 58 to 65c - this is an impressive feat - bf2042 stays around 60c. Weird, right?

I would also like to point out that I'm using Corsair's XTM70 thermal paste. This could be one of the reasons the heat doesn't go that high.

Overall - I'm happy with them. I just don't understand why my idle temps are higher.

not pleased with my my 120SE (newer version which is basically a little less material), the temperature seems to bounce around too much while gaming, which i dont think is good for longevity. it seems pretty lightweight for its size, so i think it basically conducts heat very well into little material, and the fan curve move too much air which cools it up and down too quickly.

id spend 1.5x as much and get a used d15 or something with more bulk than this if you care about your processors longevity. or atleast try and find a non se version although its only a few more grams weight.

Last edited:
not pleased with my my 120SE (newer version which is basically a little less material), the temperature seems to bounce around too much while gaming, which i dont think is good for longevity. it seems pretty lightweight for its size, so i think it basically condcts heat very well into little material, and the fan curve move too much air which cools it up and down too quickly.

id spend 1.5x as much and get a used d15 or something with more bulk than this if you care about your processors longevity. or atleast try and find a non se version although its only a few more grams weight.
it can do that if your just have your fans on auto. try setting a flat speed of 30% until ~45-50c, then make a straight line to 100% at 75-80c.

I don't suppose anyone has any full stress test temp numbers for Peerless Assasin 120 SE and a 5800X3D? I've got one coming in a several days, yet was curious.
About to find out this weekend. It does a decent job on a 5900x, so I'm hoping the same on the 5800x3D, otherwise I'm off to find an AIO

not pleased with my my 120SE (newer version which is basically a little less material), the temperature seems to bounce around too much while gaming, which i dont think is good for longevity. it seems pretty lightweight for its size, so i think it basically conducts heat very well into little material, and the fan curve move too much air which cools it up and down too quickly.

Interesting I don't recall any of the reviewers like kanucks or nexus having similar complaints although it's been a minute since I've watched the reviews.

Be nice to know what CPU you're talking about as well.

Be nice to know what CPU you're talking about as well.
13600k, which is 170w theres a few other amazon reviewws stating the same thing, it bounces from like 60-85C depending on game, seems like that kinda expansion/contraction will wear out a cpu fast.
the fans are also reportedly garbage.
ill try editing fan curve to see if that helps.

Last edited:
About to find out this weekend. It does a decent job on a 5900x, so I'm hoping the same on the 5800x3D, otherwise I'm off to find an AIO
Age and memory never seem to improve over the years. I have two PA 120 SE's, one on a 13600K, (which performs well on the 13600K in a Lancool III) and one on a 5900X. The CM NR200P box the 5800X3d goes in, is a Scythe Fuma 2. I don't think the PA fits in the NR200P, and I'm off to see if the Scythe will be sufficient for 5800X3D duty.

Prolly say eff it and go AIO to clear some room in the case...

Last edited:
I ran a SE on my 13700k for several months no problem. Once the curve was dialed in it was fine. The fans are a little bit loud compared to noctua a12-25s but damn near everything is. I use an SE on my test bench exclusively now. No complaints other than I cant swap it out one handed... 😂.

If you need to find out what the differences are between the se and 120 its been discussed ad nauseum in this thread.

Age and memory never seem to improve over the years. I have two PA 120 SE's, one on a 13600K, (which performs well on the 13600K in a Lancool III) and one on a 5900X. The CM NR200P box the 5800X3d goes in, is a Scythe Fuma 2. I don't think the PA fits in the NR200P, and I'm off to see if the Scythe will be sufficient for 5800X3D duty.

Prolly say eff it and go AIO to clear some room in the case...
The PA 120 SE version is 155mm tall, so it WILL fit in a NR200P if you have the version with the steel side panel. I have a DVR build in this chassis using a 5600G and the PA 120 SE, and it all fits!

The PA 120 SE version is 155mm tall, so it WILL fit in a NR200P if you have the version with the steel side panel. I have a DVR build in this chassis using a 5600G and the PA 120 SE, and it all fits!
Good to know. I do have the steel side panel. The glass one is on it currently.

They are very close in performance, but whichever is cheaper is the one to go with.
PS120SE is better than FC140, and PA120. I know because I have them all. But I dont run Intel yet, so I dont have 300w+ to deal with. But when running my 5900X, at 250w PPT FC140 is 9c better than PA120. And PS120SE with stock ARGB fans is as strong as FC140 with NF-A14 3K and T30. PS120SE with 2x T30s is a beast.

Oh, it's a big boy. Is it better than water cooling?

IMO it makes it completely pointless to ever bother with a smaller AIO such as a 120mm or 140mm model. It can be fairly competitive with many 240/280mm AIOs. It's not going to beat a bigger AIO like a 360mm or a custom loop in most cases.

But it's also important to consider that air coolers like this are guaranteed to work basically forever, because there really isn't anything that can fail. Although most AIOs are reasonably reliable, there are quite a few ways that they can fail and it's really not a question of if, but when. The pump can stop working, it can leak from the radiator, the hoses, or the connections (even a pinhole leak that doesn't actually leak fluid inside your computer but causes the coolant to dry out quickly). Even with no leak, the coolant will evaporate slowly over time anyway. You have corrosion issues, gunk building-up on the waterblock, etc. Acceptable risks for your main computer in most cases but I wouldn't want to deal with water cooling on all of my secondary computers and my servers. I also don't like to build computers for others using water-cooling, due to the increased failure risk. So there is definitely a place for these big air coolers, even if it can't compete with top-tier water-cooling. It's still a lot better than the air cooling options that we were stuck with not too long ago such as the CM Hyper 212.

Back