The Computers in my room

I think I would lose my fucking mind in your rooms. I cant stand for loose shit to be on or around my desk. wow lol

+1

I give credit for those can work in those areas it would drive me crazy

I agree, what a shit hole. Cleaning is free and pretty easy. No excuse to live like that unless you want to. Being single and having other shit to do is a lame excuse too. I'm single and I have plenty of shit to do but my surroundings are pretty clean.

I couldn't stand to live like that. The very idea makes my skin crawl. I guess if it's fine for you, then so be it. And I love the people posting that we shouldn't be so hard on him. Well, welcome to the internet where people have differing opinions. Get used to it.

It's not the fact of being hard on him, it's the fact that you think you're on some other level, and better than someone based on how they choose to keep their home. I don't think anyone is coming up with any excuse, only in your eyes. Only reasons. Choosing to not be an anal-retentive neat freak is not an excuse for "sloppiness", it's a reason to not be an insane neat-freak who loses sleep if there is a speck of dust on their trendy yuppie Ikea-type desk.

It's not the fact of being hard on him, it's the fact that you think you're on some other level, and better than someone based on how they choose to keep their home. I don't think anyone is coming up with any excuse, only in your eyes. Only reasons. Choosing to not be an anal-retentive neat freak is not an excuse for "sloppiness", it's a reason to not be an insane neat-freak who loses sleep if there is a speck of dust on their trendy yuppie Ikea-type desk.

:rolleyes:

Nobody ever proclaimed they were better than anyone else in this thread. You're simply making assumptions. There has been more than one post in this thread where excuses were made, learn to read. I never suggested they do anything to change their environment. However, if they so felt to clean things up, one doesn't have to be an anal retentive neat freak. You're just being obtuse at this point. Nobody ever suggested that. And you're making assumptions yet again. For starters, I don't own any trendy crap, or a desk from Ikea. On top of that, I was only stating my opinion that it looks like a disorganized shit hole. I wouldn't be able to live like that. If they can, fine. That doesn't make me better than them.

If I go posting up a thread of my organized, and clean surroundings they can feel free to say it makes their skin crawl. I couldn't care less. In the end, you seem to be the one trying to act better than everyone else by pretending to take some moral high ground when all people are doing is stating their opinions. You're making a big deal out of something that didn't deserve it.

I imagine you're the kind of person that is looking for things to be offended by.

No, I try to offend others. And I am a better person than anyone else.

Well, you're doing a tragically terrible job then. Nobody has been offended as of yet. You've merely been an annoyance. And I have seen no evidence of such in impossibly pretentious claim as such.

You remind me of Metallica's Holier Than Thou.

No the grimster is not me and why was it a dead thread because I had to reopen this thread? As I should have stated incase I didn't make myself clear I have plans for all this stuff although it is cluttered at the moment and I will keep you posted. I plan to do some major changes after New Years of 2012 and clean up finally after being delayed many times.

You must have locked it, but whatever, because this whole thread belongs in GenMay. It was amusing at first, but dumb now.

If I may reopen this my room is a lot cleaner now and my systems close to being completed except I need hard drive for most of them. I want SATA to go with my PNY PCI RAID cards in the machines that have and support them, which are the P4SCT+II computer, the P3DRIII computer, and the CUC2 computer. Then I want Ultra SCSI or Ultra 160 SCSI or Ultra 320 SCSI for the P3DIII and IR440FX custom computers. The Pentium Overdrive or Amptron DX9700 computer needs a new board or a working floppy drive controller with drivers. The Pentium 233 or Gigabyte GA-5SG computer it's done, but not very useful considering good classic games are difficult to find because all the games I have that are old enough to run on it are scratched or need patches and drivers, which with legacy hardware and with fileplanet and fileshack gone this is a problem. Besides I finished the Pentium 233 or GA-5SG years after I builtt my Pentium III Coppermine in 2000-2001 and still have in some sense, which that machine at least supports steam. Therefore, you maybe asking what was the point in building the Pentium 233 or GA-5SG, which was to see how far back I go to run Windows XP successfully and how well it ran, as well as to see how well and if older games like Final Fantasy VII and VIII including Need For Speed and Command & Conquer would run if at all.

My modern or more modern systems include two dell Optiplex 755's, a Mid 2012 Mac Pro, and a custom machine built off the Gigabyte 6PSV4. I plan to build a multi-processor beast using the Lian-Li D8000 cube too. I have two Dell Precision T-1700's for test systems and a networking lab with a 2U server, 4 Cisco Switches, and 5 CIsco Routers as well a 2U UPS that I'll be replacing with two 1U UPS's at my apartment near the University I'm attending. The networking lab includes a 1U Rackmount NAS two that I swap in and out of the Rack, but want back in permanently as soon as I get new 1 U UPS's to replace the 2U UPS. If moderators permit in time or I post pictures soon you'll get to see it currently.

I want to get these tech stations for my room, but their expensive and I just haven't gotten around to it. However, my room is cleaner:

https://www.discount-low-voltage.co...JOYgye7mZZuFWxWy7fdyGK-Fz89NtvTBoCiUQQAvD_BwE

I switched to a loft bed and I have two file cabinets with all my boxes and extras in them now. There's still clutter and some mess, but it's cleaner.

If I may reopen this my room is a lot cleaner now and my systems close to being completed except I need hard drive for most of them. I want SATA to go with my PNY PCI RAID cards in the machines that have and support them, which are the P4SCT+II computer, the P3DRIII computer, and the CUC2 computer. Then I want Ultra SCSI or Ultra 160 SCSI or Ultra 320 SCSI for the P3DIII and IR440FX custom computers. The Pentium Overdrive or Amptron DX9700 computer needs a new board or a working floppy drive controller with drivers. The Pentium 233 or Gigabyte GA-5SG computer it's done, but not very useful considering good classic games are difficult to find because all the games I have that are old enough to run on it are scratched or need patches and drivers, which with legacy hardware and with fileplanet and fileshack gone this is a problem. Besides I finished the Pentium 233 or GA-5SG years after I builtt my Pentium III Coppermine in 2000-2001 and still have in some sense, which that machine at least supports steam. Therefore, you maybe asking what was the point in building the Pentium 233 or GA-5SG, which was to see how far back I go to run Windows XP successfully and how well it ran, as well as to see how well and if older games like Final Fantasy VII and VIII including Need For Speed and Command & Conquer would run if at all.

My modern or more modern systems include two dell Optiplex 755's, a Mid 2012 Mac Pro, and a custom machine built off the Gigabyte 6PSV4. I plan to build a multi-processor beast using the Lian-Li D8000 cube too. I have two Dell Precision T-1700's for test systems and a networking lab with a 2U server, 4 Cisco Switches, and 5 CIsco Routers as well a 2U UPS that I'll be replacing with two 1U UPS's at my apartment near the University I'm attending. The networking lab includes a 1U Rackmount NAS two that I swap in and out of the Rack, but want back in permanently as soon as I get new 1 U UPS's to replace the 2U UPS. If moderators permit in time or I post pictures soon you'll get to see it currently.

I want to get these tech stations for my room, but their expensive and I just haven't gotten around to it. However, my room is cleaner:

https://www.discount-low-voltage.co...JOYgye7mZZuFWxWy7fdyGK-Fz89NtvTBoCiUQQAvD_BwE

I switched to a loft bed and I have two file cabinets with all my boxes and extras in them now. There's still clutter and some mess, but it's cleaner.

Here's pictures as of 12-25-207 moderator(s) permitting and yes I'm aware that it may still need more cleaning. Also, I'm aware that this might be considered thread necroing, which I hope I don't get band. If anyone can't see the picture in the op I blame photobucket, which is why I use imgur now. Please try not to be to hash with the comments or replies I'm working on fixing all of this, but it's a work in progess and has been for sometime. However, it has made progress, even if you can't see it because the original photos can't be seen because of photobucket:

rWMGOC6.jpg

Ty9igKa.jpg

28VZH4V.jpg

Last edited:
Here's pictures as of 12-25-207 moderator(s) permitting and yes I'm aware that it may still need more cleaning. Also, I'm aware that this might be considered thread necroing, which I hope I don't get band. If anyone can't see the picture in the op I blame photobucket, which is why I use imgur now. Please try not to be to hash with the comments or replies I'm working on fixing all of this, but it's a work in progess and has been for sometime. However, it has made progress, even if you can't see it because the original photos can't be seen because of photobucket:

rWMGOC6.jpg

Ty9igKa.jpg

28VZH4V.jpg

Am I the only one who noticed the coffee maker? :D :) ;) As for the person claiming that another get a life, what makes yours better than his?

In my experience, everyone has a personal space that never gets "done", and time management issues that work against us.

From what I remember from the original post, you get +1 for moving forward....+1 for coffee maker.

It only took 6 years though. :LOL: Not judging, just laughing..........I've owned my house for 10 years, and only now am getting one of the rooms for a man-space.

rWMGOC6.jpg

Ty9igKa.jpg

28VZH4V.jpg

I don't know how people stand clutter like that. Old computers I have no use for, I take out and shoot.

uh no.

old pc stuff is a goldmine these days.

check out the price of 486's on ebay.

and they move.

Exactly, but I only have two 486 systems in my case, which one is a Unisys 4666Dx2 that it actually says on the case LOL aka 486Dx2 66 MHz nonworking system with a bad trace and the other is my Custom Pentium Overdrive Socket 3 system that has a bad floppy controller as well as needs drivers. As for the more modern old computers some of them are my first builds from the earlier part of the 2000's, which still prove to come in handy when I need floppy support, LS120, or Zip support, although very rarely. Otherwise, having old computers was helpful for A+ certification and A+ certification college preparation classes if not Comptia A+ certification continuing education because sometimes hands-on experience can't be beat especially when it can be difficult to get a job in this field in certain circumstance or maybe any circumstance.

I only have one of each rare build though as that's all I could stand or found useful and it's all I need, which is diminishing somewhat if not entirely. One last thing is that if I had an IBM 286 AT that would be worth a fortune if that's the correct original IBM PC I should be referring to or if it didn't have an 8086 instead and if it did maybe I need to watch LGR's video again, which even if it did I don't want anything that old regardless of if I could make it work because as the person said old computer don't have much use and he's kinda right considering how difficult it is to get hardware and software for them. In all fairness though none of my computers are prior to 32-bit and 32-bit computing won't officially become obsolete until 2038 according to the computerphile. Also, I only kept my prior builds and built some of these systems to see how long they would last and how far I could go back and still do anything meaningful, even if that's becoming very limited as technology advances and support for older technology is disappearing.

The biggest problem I have with Floppy support is that the Intel Core 2 systems or AMD equivalents were the last to have it and the same goes for IDE support needed for LS120 and ZIP as well as the fact that usually main onboard SATA support can't be used if IDE is being used too. Also, Intel Core 2 systems and AMD equivalents only usually had one IDE connector for LS120 and ZIP if the bios supported it too.

Last edited:
In my experience, everyone has a personal space that never gets "done", and time management issues that work against us.

From what I remember from the original post, you get +1 for moving forward....+1 for coffee maker.

It only took 6 years though. :LOL: Not judging, just laughing..........I've owned my house for 10 years, and only now am getting one of the rooms for a man-space.

Actually, it didn't exactly take 6 years for the progress shown, but it did take me 6 years to get it to exactly what is shown in the pictures. I've had it about like in these pictures, since Fall 2013 or Spring 2014 after getting the loft bed in Summer 2013 and file cabinets in Fall 2013. I had it pretty close to this prior to this any after my original post, but I got distracted from taking pictures of it and reopening this thread to update it to get feed back, even if it can be harsh on general mayhem.

uh no.

old pc stuff is a goldmine these days.

check out the price of 486's on ebay.

and they move.

Why? I don't get it. I understand people maintaining these things in the past where it was necessary to run older OSes and games. However, you can virtualize all of that for nothing these days.

I have a processor collection for nostalgia, but everything else is too busy and bulky to keep around. If I had kept every computer I've ever built for myself I'd have about 20 of them or more taking up a shit load of room given the sizes of their cases. Even keeping five select machines would have taken up quite a bit of space with nothing to be gained from it.

Why? I don't get it. I understand people maintaining these things in the past where it was necessary to run older OSes and games. However, you can virtualize all of that for nothing these days.

I have a processor collection for nostalgia, but everything else is too busy and bulky to keep around. If I had kept every computer I've ever built for myself I'd have about 20 of them or more taking up a shit load of room given the sizes of their cases. Even keeping five select machines would have taken up quite a bit of space with nothing to be gained from it.
You are obviously not a nostalgic person. Different strokes, etc ...

Had the space & the old hardware. So Win98 and VooDoo it is.

Attachments

• voodoo.desk3a.jpg
    voodoo.desk3a.jpg
    103.8 KB · Views: 14
I can be somewhat nostalgic about TV shows & movies but that's generally it. I do have an appreciation of vintage cars and firearms, but not technology. I did enjoy the video game museum, but not enough to have all that crap in my house.

I just counted them, and I've had 25 different computer cases I can remember and many of those have had more than one motherboard upgrade. If I kept lots of hardware over a sense of nostalgia, I could do a computer themed episode of hoarders. I'd have rooms largely filled with computer hardware alone.

Dan D. These are no just a collection of all the computers I've had in the past, but also extremely rare 32-bit computer parts including AGP for the late Pentium MMX in the GIgabyte 5SG100, Socket 8 Pentium II Overdrives in the Intel IR440FX, The Pentium III Tualatin in the ASUS TUSL2, A Pentium III Coppermine system that supports over 512 MB RAM up to 1 GB RAMBUS Dual Channel DRAM instead of SIngle Channel SDRAM, A Pentium 4 Northwood 3.4 GHz Mobile processor in a Prescott supported socket 478 Supermicro P4SCT+II 875P canterwood chipset board with PCI-X slots, and a Socket 3 motherboard with Pentium 83 MHz Overdrive Processor support as well as up to 256 MB of SRAM support after getting everthing installed with 64 MB RAM or less because DMA channels are lost at 64 MB RAM or higher. Also, sometimes you just can't be having the physical hardware compared to virtual machines, but both have there disadvantages compared to each other though.

Therefore, I get what you're saying because old physical hardware is harder to keep secure when connected to the internet since it lacks modern helpful hardware security features and older hardware can seem or actually be very slow compared to modern hardware especially when running modern software or Operating Systems. Virtual Machines have the disadvantage of being sottware that can sometimes be easy corrupted depending on how secure their configured and/or if there are any hardware security features to help keep them secure. Also, Virtual Machines can be slow too because their emulating an Operating System and they can consume a lot of system resources especially when not configured properly or if the hardware isn't powerful enough. Don't worry though I've reached my limit because their is nothing that rare for modern systems that I'm considering holding on to and I've even considered getting rid of the computers older enough that they have below a 1 GHz processor and 1 GB RAM. I've also considered just getting rid of all the old systems and replacing them with a Core 2 Duo system that might be able to do everything I want the older computers for.

You are obviously not a nostalgic person. Different strokes, etc ...

Had the space & the old hardware. So Win98 and VooDoo it is.

I refuse to go back to 3dfx Voodoo and the horrible driver support that is left for it currently, even with Omega Drivers. The lack of T&L in the Voodoo 5 was enough to never make me want to use Voodoo Again and as for Windows 98 I'll stick with WIndows XP or maybe Windows 7 by turning on compatibility mode or Virtualizing, like Dan_D stated. I only want rare hardware for compatibility with older storage media and for the rareness of the parts if not more. I'll use Linux instead of Windows any day too especially the DLL hell of Window 98 or older.

I can be somewhat nostalgic about TV shows & movies but that's generally it. I do have an appreciation of vintage cars and firearms, but not technology. I did enjoy the video game museum, but not enough to have all that crap in my house.

I just counted them, and I've had 25 different computer cases I can remember and many of those have had more than one motherboard upgrade. If I kept lots of hardware over a sense of nostalgia, I could do a computer themed episode of hoarders. I'd have rooms largely filled with computer hardware alone.

I had to set or figure out a limit on what to keep, which was that computers with older than 1 GHz processor can't run Valves Steam if not other game clients, Can't run Windows 7 32-bit at least or Ubuntu 16.4, and computers older than a Pentium can't run Window XP, which surprising a Pentium 83 MHz Overdrive can because it can be upgrade to Windows XP after getting at WIndows 98 installed from Floppy disc boot to CD-ROM first. However, I couldn't get an Operating System installed on the system using the Pentium 84 MHz Overdrive because the floppy drive controller doesn't work and the motherboard I used as well as prefer due to VESA and PCI support is no longer available anywhere I can find, which is the Amptron DX9700.

There maybe more limits that I had to set as to how old of a system to keep too and that is changing as newer technology becomes available. Also, even 32-bit computers will definitely be obsolete by 2038 according to the computerphile, although it seems as though they actually completely seem obsolete already to some people. 64-bit computers won't be officially obsolete for an extremely long time according to the computerphile though, which may surprise you after you watch their video the End Of Unix Time. I wouldn't be surprised if 64-bit computers took even longer to become obsolete with the addition of multiple cores that we've been seeing, since the Pentium D and Core Duo at least.

Last edited:
Dude is in dire of some upgrades. Cool though stuff I haven't seen in awhile. That Creative book man, I remember those.

Dude is in dire of some upgrades. Cool though stuff I haven't seen in awhile. That Creative book man, I remember those.

Maybe I am in need of upgrades, but at least I've been paying more attention to my newer Gigabyte 6PXSV4 system and my Gigabyte 7PESH3 systems as well as working on whatever board I choose to put in my Lian-Li D8000 cube. The newest computers I have are probably in my apartment, which are Dell Precision T1700's. I kinda had doubts as to if I wanted to complete the system that will go in the Lian-Li D8000 because Anti-virus Live Linux wouldn't connect to the internet on my 6PXSV4 system and because of how much it will cost to complete, but I've decided I'll still complete it and that I'm going to wait. The one thing I always do that frustrates me is that I never manage to be able to afford enough hard drives and include a RAID card during the initial build, so I always find myself putting off getting these things to realize the full potential of my builds. Then you have the fact that I'm still unable to move ahead to swapping video cards in my 6PSV4 system to make room for the RAID card and put my TV card in it finally instead of two EVGA Nvidia GTX 760's, which instead of the two GTX 760's I want two single slot Quadro's that will for now have to be one PNY Nvidia Quadro 310. I may use either an ASUS, Gigabyte, or a Supermicro motherboard in the D8000 case and not ASROCK or Tyan.

Last edited:
Maybe I am in need of upgrades, but at least I've been paying more attention to my newer Gigabyte 6PXSV4 system and my Gigabyte 7PESH3 systems as well as working on whatever board I choose to put in my Lian-Li D8000 cube. The newest computers I have are probably in my apartment, which are Dell Precision T1700's. I kinda had doubts as to if I wanted to complete the system that will go in the Lian-Li D8000 because Anti-virus Live Linux wouldn't connect to the internet on my 6PXSV4 system and because of how much it will cost to complete, but I've decided I'll still complete it and that I'm going to wait. The one thing I always do that frustrates me is that I never manage to be able to afford enough hard drives and include a RAID card during the initial build, so I always find myself putting off getting these things to realize the full potential of my builds. Then you have the fact that I'm still unable to move ahead to swapping video cards in my 6PSV4 system to make room for the RAID card and put my TV card in it finally instead of two EVGA Nvidia GTX 760's, which instead of the two GTX 760's I want two single slot Quadro's that will for now have to be one PNY Nvidia Quadro 310. I may use either an ASUS, Gigabyte, or a Supermicro motherboard in the D8000 case and not ASROCK or Tyan.

That is one Nerdy Geeky room Man Lol...Nights spent with my Glasses on and can't see to read all the cool stuff, thanks for that reminder Lol, cool some of the stuff still works though and no problems. About looking Like this House/Room man, almost...got hardware and parts everywhere....I didn't really get or keep or Save a lot of some cooler Books or Literature though, wish I kinda did.

Last edited:
Getting these is my utimate goal, but my Dad shoots it down saying I spend to much money despite they my broken 8 foot folding table and modifified broken metal desk are in need of repair or replacement in case of the desk or both.

I really want to open my own computer repair store and I. T. Solutions shop in my home town, but the owner of the only local shopping center won't get back to me about actual cost of rent.

Back