THE BEST 17" LCD - with gaming in mind - money can buy

codeflux

2[H]4U
i've been tracking this a while back, but sort out gone out of touch. what's current? what's new? what doesn't ghost or streak?

is there an LCD that you can use to play UT2k3 without fear of ghosting or streaking or any other crap?

Originally posted by codeflux
details please! how is it for gaming? what sort of games do you play? details please? :)
Great for gaming. I use it for Max Payne 2, Call of Duty, UT2K3, BF1942, Dungeon Siege, Raven Shield, Ghost Recon and many more. Simply a great monitor. No ghosting at all, nice features, bright as all hell and it looks great too.
There was a huge thread I created on this monitor. I think they deleted it since it was rather old, but many got this monitor when that thread was visible and many have been happy with this monitor.

I just got my VP171B yesterday and it is amazing! The colors and gaming experience are excellent! I wouldnt recommend anything else. By the way darkninja, what contrast/brightness are you running? The default settings?

Originally posted by shah
I just got my VP171B yesterday and it is amazing! The colors and gaming experience are excellent! I wouldnt recommend anything else. By the way darkninja, what contrast/brightness are you running? The default settings?
The default settings killed my eyes, way too bright for me. I run 35% contrast and 33% brightness more or less. My Viewsonic A95f 19" CRT looks blurry compared to the 171b.

Originally posted by shah

I personally run at about 40% contrast and 80% brightness. Works great for me.

all right, i've just ordered VP171B from monitorsdrect.com - if something's fishy with it, i can return it within 30 days for full refund (no restocking fees, can you imagine?!). :)

all right, i've just ordered VP171B from monitorsdrect.com - if something's fishy with it, i can return it within 30 days for full refund (no restocking fees, can you imagine?!). :)
Congrats dude. you will love it like we all do.

Originally posted by darkninja67
Congrats dude. you will love it like we all do.
dark ninja has dragged me to the dark side... the dark side where there are no CRTs... the dark side of the LCD land... tam-tam-tam... :)

dark ninja has dragged me to the dark side... the dark side where there are no CRTs... the dark side of the LCD land... tam-tam-tam... :)
Yeah I tend to do that, I am influential sometimes. :D

I'm on my way - as soon as dell puts them on sale again. I'm wanting to get the vp171b for about $450

$450? - good luck. everywhere i look is $520 and up (plus shipping), and they are out of stock.

i've just talked to a guy at www.monitorsdirect.com and am waiting for him to call me back to confirm this, but he said that yes, they do have these monitors in stock ready to ship. 2-day shipping is like $63, but I WANT IT NOW!!! with any luck, they will ship it today and i will get it wednesday!

ok, just got a call-back. they DO NOT have it in stock. ETA 10 or more business days. i'm SOL - off to pricewatch to look for more places that sell these... f*ckers...

ok i'm hold (yes, on the phone - i'm desperate), ordering from www.tigerdirect.com; dude said they have a couple of these in stock... please... please... please... gimme VP171B you bastards!!!

5 minutes later - still on hold, this time with the credit department, verifying that i am indeed me...

3 minutes later - thank god they turned off the f*cking elevator music... i was about to start chewing on my PC's power cord...

and now i have to call american express, because they lost my alternate shipping address - as in, forgot it was valid, which i told them about like 5 times already! MOTHERF*CKERS!!!

ok, added the alternate shipping address (work address) - another 10 minutes of my life - wasted... i am so phreaking frastrated - i can just implode... need coffee... now calling back tigerdirect to verify my freaking transaction.

them: ALL AGENTS ARE STILL BUSY - PLEASE CONTINUE TO HOLD...

me: YOU GO TO HELL! YOU GO TO HELL AND YOU DIE!

no, i am NOT having a good day... yes, i will hold - AGAIN - so you can PROCESS MY ORDER. what the hell does that mean? - PROCESS MY ORDER?... DIE! ROT IN HELL! i am not a phone person... nor am i a people person. lately, i am not even sure that i AM a person. damn hobbits...

FINALLY! it will be shipped tomorrow. i am getting it friday. i think i am going to go pass out now...

I got mine from zipzoomfly two weeks ago. Free 2nd day shipping and no Tax, but I see they are also out of stock currently.

Compusa has the VP171S. (Same monitor but silver) for $599.00 with $100.00 mail in rebate. it says instock on their web site.

Hans

Originally posted by HansYupp
I got mine from zipzoomfly two weeks ago. Free 2nd day shipping and no Tax, but I see they are also out of stock currently.

Compusa has the VP171S. (Same monitor but silver) for $599.00 with $100.00 mail in rebate. it says instock on their web site.

Hans
yes i've looked at zipzoomfly right after i looked at newegg - the two places i go to first. but newegg didn't even have it listed, and zipzoomfly was out of stock, as you mentioned. and no, silver won't do - everything else i have is black, even the mouse pad... :)

no, silver won't do - everything else i have is black, even the mouse pad...

Hehe ... I understand.

Side Note: the Silver Viewsonic really isn't too bad. only the front bezel is silver. the stand and the back of the display are still black.
Also I wonder why the Silver has a manufacture rebate but the black doesn't. I'm going to send in the rebate form anyway, won't hurt to try. :D

anyway, I'm glad you ended up finding one. I'm sure you will be happy with it. I really like mine.

Hans

I have a NEC 1760NX and it works like a champ in BF1942, UT2k3, COD, etc. It has a 16ms response time so ghosting shouldn't be a problem. It has DVI and analog inputs so I can plug 2 computers into it and switch between them with a button on the front of the monitor. I also have a Dell 1800FP that I use for gaming without a problem... even though it's response time is about 25ms.

http://www.necmitsubishi.com/products/home/DetailedSpecs.cfm?product_id=265&division=NEC

$450? - good luck. everywhere i look is $520 and up (plus shipping), and they are out of stock.

i've just talked to a guy at www.monitorsdirect.com and am waiting for him to call me back to confirm this, but he said that yes, they do have these monitors in stock ready to ship. 2-day shipping is like $63, but I WANT IT NOW!!! with any luck, they will ship it today and i will get it wednesday!
I had it ordered from dell for $467 and I cancelled. Don't ask why. I don't even know.

Back