Tape Backup

scj6771

Weaksauce
I am looking for an affordable tape backup solution, I am looking into backing up around 30-40 GB of data.

Tape backup! I haven't seen those in a LONG TIME! My dad used to use them. If you're going to back up 30-40gb, get ready to wait.

A little more info would help...

-what are you backing up?
-how often are you going to backup?
-how much you are looking to spend?
-specs of computer you are going to use the tape on

I doubt tape is the best option for you to backup your data. You should probably look into an external usb hard drive.

And like ownerizer said get ready to wait if you use tape.

Originally posted by Nem
A little more info would help...

-what are you backing up?
-how often are you going to backup?
-how much you are looking to spend?

I doubt tape is the best option for you to backup your data. You should probably look into an external usb hard drive.

And like ownerizer said get ready to wait if you use tape.

I happen to agree. I did an extensive search for Tape drive components, from tape to drives to external units, it's all very expensive. Lets just say, tape drives aren't nativly suppored in XP at all. You might have some luck with NT4 or 2k pro, but not 9x.

BTW, if you find information stating that 'tape drives haven't been in production for years blah blah blah', that's BS. Dell, HP, and other companies like that are still developing tape drive technology for the IT business. They have tape cartriges rated at 2tb sometimes, usually for more $$$ than I've ever seen at one time. I believe that there are some drives offered by Seagate for $3k, including tapes. That's about all I've got for you. :)

A cheaper alternate to Tape drives is Zip drives, external hard drives are still too expensive for my blood. You could also look into getting a cheap fileserver setup, using some 9 gig drives (if you really look, you can find some for $5 a pop) and a SCSI card (about $40 on pricewatch.com). Good luck.

Seagate still makes a nice Travan system. It works well, and comes with the backup software you need.
here is an example. If you check out the seagate website, you should be able to find them.

Unles you have files larger than 4.7gig ;)

I would look into a External DVD+/-RW I use the firewire port on mine and it`s smooth as silk.

Anytime you are planning to go external, plan on spending some cash. I notice that the prices on every external hardware, from Optical Drives to Hard Drives are usually 1.5x or 2x the price of the internal version of it.

As for those Zip tapes or whatnot, I do NOT recommend them. They are quite expensive and are a pain in the ass. I have an external 250MB Zip Drive and somehow the Zip Drive at my university corrupted 3 of my tapes, just from regular usage. These tapes I purchased for around 20 bucks each, WTF!!

My parents also uses the Jaz Drive. They have the 2GB version and the 1GB version. They are quite useless because they cost about 100 bucks for 1GB tape, and are pretty slow in performance for that price.

My suggestion is to browse the weekly ads for Fry's, Compusa, Bestbuy and etc. for special deals on external hard drives. When they go on sale, you tend to save ALOT of money.

Another solution will be what was listed above, an external DVD burner. With that however, you still have to spend alot of money on DVD medias because you are looking at about 40GB correct?

External is definatly too expensive. If you want to save money either get a DVD-RW or a whole HDD itself and just use it for backup. You'll save money and time compared to Jaz drives and Zip drives, ive used both and neither offer high storage capacity or speed.

GL:D

Back