Switch from nVidia to ATI causing lockups in CoD?

KingPariah777

[H]ard|Gawd
I recently upgraded my brothers GeForce 2 (nVidia) to a new 9700 Pro (ATI)...

Ever since we installed the new 9700, we have been experiencing problems such as a blank screen on boot-up, and hard system lock-ups during Call of Duty...the lockup's happen at the same place in the game, every time.

When installing the 9700, i simply uninstalled the nVidia drivers, removed the card, replaced it, then installed the ATI drivers (3.9 I believe).

Any ideas? Has anyone ever experienced this before?

Well I believe some computers had problems with CoD with Cats 3.9 (which you stated you have installed), they fixed this problem with Cats 3.10 and of course all later Cats drivers (Cat 4.1 is the latest). Just simply uninstall Cats 3.9 and install the new Cats 4.1 and your problem should be cleared up. Hope this helps...

-MoOfAsA~

Originally posted by Moofasa~
Well I believe some computers had problems with CoD with Cats 3.9 (which you stated you have installed), they fixed this problem with Cats 3.10 and of course all later Cats drivers (Cat 4.1 is the latest). Just simply uninstall Cats 3.9 and install the new Cats 4.1 and your probably should be cleared up. Hope this helps...

-MoOfAsA~

Checking it out right now. I will let you guys know what happens.

UPDATE: This has fixed the problem apparently...wow.

Seems to me that these ATI drivers are really improving with each release...it seems much more necessary to get the latest drivers for ATI cards than nVidia's.

Well in this case yea, CoD did have problems with some peoples' computers with older Cat drivers. Not always true for all games. Also ATi has a new driver release every month, so its nice to know imo if there is a known problem, it will be fixed in the next month. Don't always be to sure that Nvidia has "iron-steel" drivers either, no one does.

-MoOfAsA~

the latest 53.xx drivers by nVidia cause random flashing glitches in Unreal Tournament 2003 using my ti4400...I stick with older drivers in that case.

Back