Student discounts on MS OS?

neoreturns

[H]ard|Gawd
Just wondering if anyone here takes advantage of their college's student discount on MS software. And if so how much is it?

Hopefully when Windows 64 bit comes out they'll still do the student deals, but I'm not sure if that will happen or not since its a fairly special OS, and not too many people are going to be using it.

$15 for XP pro
$15 for office XP
$10 for 2k upgrade
$15 for visual studio
and there are others but i dont care about them :)

i got XP pro and office XP

its an awesome deal because its full retail and i never have had to activate XP through microsoft or whatever the hell they do

I got Windows XP Professional, Microsoft Projects, Office XP and Visual Studio .net for $5 through school.

from taking one CS class:D

Windows XP Pro --- free
Windows .NET enterprise server (2k3)--- free
Windows 2000 pro --- free
windows 2000 adv svr --- free
Visual studio .NET --- free
Visual studio 6 --- free
Visio --- free

all full versions of course, downloaded via the MSDN website and burned to CD by yours truly.

a bunch of other stuff I didn't really want, so I didn't bother getting.

Only downside was, no Office. Ah well, that's what Openoffice is for.

Now if only I could get photoshop for free/heavily discounted...

It all depends on what kind of agreement the school has with MSFT. If your school has a good contract, you can get most any MSFT software for under $20. You get a real SN, but generally you're getting CDRs for the software.

If your campus doesn't have such an agreement, you can still buy the academic versions which are significantly more expensive, but still cheaper than paying full retail.

Yep, all depends on your college, talk to your local bookstore, At kent, its $10 per disk for XP, Office, and Visual Studio.

well, I'm not a student right now.. stayed home for a year.. but some friends of mine are going to RIT and get pretty much anything from MS for free...

I get all MS media, except Server OS' for $49.00 CA.

It sounds like you guys have a better deal going than I do. :cool:

shit,
my school i still had to pay about 130 for office xp, while it retailed for about 300. At the school futher up the street they got it for 0.

Same boat as Sickness... at the University of Florida, all the MS OSes, along with most of the Visual *, and some other stuff, are free to engineering students (and probably to the CIS guys as well).

--Brad

I can vouche for RIT getting most software for free supposedly no server OS's (heard otherwise) no visio or project but any OS, Studio, and Office for $0 downloaded via MSDN.

There was a joke about RIT when I went there: Women at RIT are like parking spaces, all the good ones are taken and the rest are handicapped. I still have my Grace Watson shirt from my lowly work-study job. Good Lawd...

Anyway, I guess it varies from school to school. The last time I was in a college book store I saw win98 for half price. You couldn't GIVE me that OS. I've heard of MS seminars that go from city to city hand out free sh*t but I've never personally been to one. The one that came to the local Radisson was giving away copies of XP.

Originally posted by jagec

Windows XP Pro --- free
Visual studio 6 --- free
Visio --- free

all full versions of course, downloaded via the MSDN website and burned to CD by yours truly.

a bunch of other stuff I didn't really want, so I didn't bother getting.

Only downside was, no Office. Ah well, that's what Openoffice is for.

Now if only I could get photoshop for free/heavily discounted...

Heh, I get that from my university too. It's pretty sweet. MSDN Academic Alliance is very cool. :D :D :D

Many schools usedx to allow you to "rent" the install CD's for a few days for about $10. It got to be a problem when all these "students" started calling up M$ asking for TS. Nowdays they give you a new "set" of CD's (why do they still call it an install disk, rofl) with a "student" license, which limits your "free" TS priveleges...

Windows XP Pro --- free
Visual studio 6 --- free
Visio --- free

Same here....

I finished my bachelor's CS degree 2 years ago just as our school got involved with this program. Got all the programs you did, and a few others, like Exchange server, etc. I didnt get 2k3 in the pack though, it wasn't out yet. I use it enough at work.....why would I need it at home anyway....Linux is more fun :D

Windows XP Pro --- free
Visual studio 6 --- free
Visio --- free

i got the same deal from my school it rox :D

I too have the same deal that jagec has.. Got a machine with Server 2k3 standard on it. (Coulda done enterprise, but why?) Only thing I was told was that we weren't allowed to copy the discs... But I got a legit # to use so thats all that matters, right? :)

Now I need to find out if they have Virtual PC in yet.

Back