Starforce + Oblivion problems, post your problems here.

Json23

[H]ard|Gawd
In another thread I stated -

Okay, so a while back I bought X3: Reunion. I installed, not really knowing (and at the time not caring either) anything at all about Starforce.

I have since unistalled X3:reunion, and thought that I had also got rid of Starforce as well. However as many of you might know, it is not that simple it seems. It started out I was having REALLY long load times, when I first got the game it loaded pretty fast, even outdoor areas. Then I started having random DVD drive (I have an NEC DVD Burner) freeze ups where it would just stop spinning in the drive when I tried to start up Oblivion.

I thought this might have been an issue with the game itself, so I started looking on the internet for a quick fix because the game would refuse to start. I would insert the DVD, start the game up, then the very second I hit "load game" in the menu the DVD drive would instantly stop spinning and the computer would freeze up completely. (not even ctrl+alt+del would work)

After using the google search for dvd spin problems I came across an article about Starforce. I just clicked on it because I was curious to see what it said (I thought starforce was unistalled already at the time) After reading some, I decided to go back into my control panel/system/device manager/show hidden items and sure enough, there were 3 starforce things listed under the "non plug and play" group. I told each one to unistall and restarted for the changes to take effect. I tried playing Oblivion again, the same thing happened. I went to look back in the device manager and they were back. All three of them. So, I went in and disabled them since I couldn't unistall them, restarted and viola!, Oblivion works just fine and load times are back to normal.

am not saying this is starforce related, but it would certainly seem so. Tonight I am going back and enabling them again to see if I can recreate the problem. If I can, then what should I do to be able to prove it? I would have tested it last night but it was already midnight and I had to be in to work this morning at 6:30 am.

Any ideas from people who know about this sort of thing more than I do?

I have gotten some responses mirroring the problem in other threads here - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1035306

and here - http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1035291

The point of this thread is to report problems you are having with Oblivion while also having Starforce installed. In my experience the biggest problems are random freezes, loss of DVD response, and extremely slow load times.

I guess no one else is having these problems with Starforce installed on their PC?

Oblivion doesn't come with Starforce installed. And 90% of the peeps here won't support games with Starforce which means a lot of people don't have Starforce installed; and if they do you can bet that it won't be installed for any length of time.

So, in answer to your question. No, no one is having issues with Starforce and Oblivion because they don't have Starforce installed.

I'm pretty sure Bethesda has publicly said that they will never use starforce and Oblivion I believe uses securom 7

What is meant is: Previous games using starforce that were installed on these selected users computers is causing problems when trying to read the Oblivion DVD, even if the previous starforce protected game is uninstalled.

Stiler said:
Use starforce cleaner and get rid of Starforce?

No shit.

I was using this to see if anyone else was having problems, as more proof that Starforce actually interferes with your normal day to day operations when playing programs that are NOT starforce protected games.

I've still got Starforce on and have no problems with Oblivion.

Besides it battering the piss out my graphics card that is.

As far as I can tell, Oblivion doesn't have any copy protection at all. Huzzah to Bethesda!

I was able to make a disc image and mount without having to use any workarounds to get the image to work. I love it when the copy protection allows for this without any issues. I can still play the game and I don't have to worry about ruining the original media. Plus, since I have an HD RAID 0 array, load times are almost non-existant.

I heard that Starforce can read and delete any anti Starforce forum post you try to make.

It possibly also eats babies.

i have 3 games installed that use starforce and i have zilch problems with oblivion.

Back