standby vs hibernate

[wizard]

Limp Gawd
my buddy and i have had a debate over which is easier to use and more reliable. we both have a dell inspiron 4100. my machine does not always like standby and his does not always like hibernate. i recently started using standby becouse it seems easier for the system to come back up. now days i'm thinking why hibernate if it's going to take the time to come back up, why not come back up fresh? i understand that if you will not be back to your laptop in a couple of days hibernation is better to save your work but him and i use our laptops on a daily basis in and out of work.

questions, comments, ideas, suggestions, oppinions.....

Well, my laptop is on for 12 hours or so during the day, and I have it hibernate overnight. Standby reduces the amount of power used compared to on, but, there is still power being used and therefore some heat being generated. Standby is useful if you're going to be away for a short time.

I hibernate instead of shutting down because I have a ton of programs that load in the background on login and take a while to fully load. Also, I like always having my session back just the way I left it. I almost never do just a regular shutdown.

This is all just MHO.

Back