Splinter Cell Series and your Thoughts

Rich Tate

Supreme [H]ardness
I love the MGS series, and love stealth/action in general.

Recently the wife and I have been filling our free time with catching up on 24.

This has got me wanting to play a new game. So my question is what do you guys think on SC? Is it a good series? I see most of the games are down to bargain bin, and was seriously thinking of picking them up, is it worth my time?

I personally preffer the gameplay in Splinter Cell to that of the MGS series. By far. Unfortunately progress is level by level, opposed to room by room in a big game world. If you like stealth action games, you don't have anything to lose. Any one of the games are worth the 10-20 bucks you will find them for.

Yeah, I too prefer the gameplay of Splinter Cell over MGS, but I am ADDICTED to the story of MGS. At any random time, I would pick up and play Splinter Cell over MGS, but if a new Splinter Cell and a new MGS game came out at the same time, I would have to pick up the MGS game for the story just to find out what happens next.

But, in reguards to Splinter Cell, each one has been incredibly fun, and each better than the one before it. All the gadgets, moves, and the level design is wonderful, not to mention the beautiful graphics to top it off. If you like action/suspenseful games, then Splinter Cell will be great for you!

I like Splinter Cell better then MSG also. Just a little more gritty and realistic throughout the game. There aren't little !s over the guards heads when you alert them. I still like MSG a lot though and I agree with lesman the story of MSG is way better.

I perfer MGS over Splinter Cell. Splinter Cell doesn't offer me enough options or gameplay style. I hate that some missions limit you to the amount of times you can be spotted or people you kill. Thats where the MGS series shines, you can play them as you want. If you want to run around all gun hoe like, its not that they don't let you its just that they make it a wiser choice to choose stealth over going all out, but you can if you want.

The story in MGS is also alot deeper and the characters are far better in my opinion aswell, while many have complained about MGS2, it did have amazingly deep story that you had to play multiple times to grasp (which you should have anyway to get the most out of the gameplay).

In short.... Hideo Kojima is the greatest mind to come into the game industry...

Well, you really won't be dissapointed ith Splinter Cell. Play it from the first game to the last, the experiance only gets better.

|MaguS| said:
I perfer MGS over Splinter Cell. Splinter Cell doesn't offer me enough options or gameplay style. I hate that some missions limit you to the amount of times you can be spotted or people you kill. Thats where the MGS series shines, you can play them as you want. If you want to run around all gun hoe like, its not that they don't let you its just that they make it a wiser choice to choose stealth over going all out, but you can if you want.

The story in MGS is also alot deeper and the characters are far better in my opinion aswell, while many have complained about MGS2, it did have amazingly deep story that you had to play multiple times to grasp (which you should have anyway to get the most out of the gameplay).

In short.... Hideo Kojima is the greatest mind to come into the game industry...

To Rich: As I said, the experience only gets better, so, as you progress throught the series, you will notice much more freedom. In the most recent game, Splinter Cell Chaos Theory, you don't have to worry about "3 alarms and the mission's over" crap. It's more like this:

You have primary objectives, bonus objectives, and other little things to do in your missions. At the beginning, you have the option to complete all offered objectives. If you do, you will get further into the whole plot of the game, and figure more things out. As you raise alarms or get spotted, you get less of a chance at completing bonus objectives, and your mission director will tell you things such as "forget anything else, just complete your primary and GET OUT of there!". You can go all gung-ho if you want, you just won't have the opportunity to complete any bonuses.

There are also tons of different ways to get to areas/complete objectives, and each game is a lot less linear than the one before it. trust me, get the games, play them from the first on to the last one, and you will not be dissapointed at all. :)

Splinter cell 1 = incredible, thats all i need to say.

Splinter cell 2 = Second i booted it up....i was just like....wtf is this shit? Its such a huge step DOWN from the first one its ridiculous. If you play the first one before this, you will be very dissapointed.

Chaos theory = Have yet to play this....looking to soon.

Rich Tate said:
I love the MGS series, and love stealth/action in general.

Recently the wife and I have been filling our free time with catching up on 24.

This has got me wanting to play a new game. So my question is what do you guys think on SC? Is it a good series? I see most of the games are down to bargain bin, and was seriously thinking of picking them up, is it worth my time?

I only ever place Chaos THeory (the latest one).. and i loved it... the only reason i haven't gone back and bought the previous games is because I can't spend that much money on video games.. i limit myself to 1 or 2 games a semester...

I just finished Chaos Theory, and while the game was decent overall, its story never captures the caliber that the MGS series has. The Chaos Theory ending movie was crap.

MGS3 was an excellent game, and it was very deep. MGS3 Subsistence comes out next tuesday for only $30, you should pick it up.

I can't wait for Splinter Cell 4: Double Agent, but obviously all my enthousiasm is towards
MGS4: Guns of the Patriots .
24 "tries" to be a good show about terrorism, but in the end all it goes is scare the crap out of Americans and portrays that most foreigners are evil and should not be trusted. Its view is simply too narrow.

I suggest you watch the mini-series "Sleeper Cell " on Showtime. 10 episodes. Nominated for a Golden Globe. If you don't have showtime, the DVD is coming out in a few days I believe. It is also available on iTunes Music Store for $1.99 per episode. Amazing show.

I preferr Thief and Hitman over both these. They are more focused on the stealth subject and have so much more feel in them. SC it´s like a technological demo it´s not offering much of a story or living game world. The technical bits about it is excellent though to easy to just gun your way through.

MGS it´s to much of a C-movie for my taste. Loved all Thief games. Have so much feeling and always an engrossing story and the gameplay mechanics is awesome. Hitman 2 also had a really cool character and it´s open ended gameplay and different ways to solves thing was excellent. Can´t wait for blood money :).

Other titles to recommend is S.W.A.T 4. Lockdown is pure crap in comparison.

I bought Pandora Tomorrow last night, and played a very small bit of it, but do enjoy it.

I'm looking forward to getting into the meat of the game and mastering the controls. ;)

When you have done that the game is over. It´s extremely short... The worst of the SC games I feel though mp is fun

I've played through all of the SC games multiple times (over a pretty big period of course) because I think they're all great. The MP modes in it are awesome but I really suck compared to some of the superman flyers who can land on your head from 30 feet.

Double Agent I think is going to be amazing. So is Hitman: Blood Money.

I already love the Hitman series, so thats a no brainer. I wanted to try something really different.

I don't mind short, and I figured I should start with the worst one by your standards so I'll be floored when I do I and III. ;)

I like the SC series, the only thing is, I don't think I'm creative or patient enough for the game. I have Chaos Theory on Xbox, and I've only beat a couple of levels, the game is fun as hell, but also very slow.

Hexus0 said:
I like the SC series, the only thing is, I don't think I'm creative or patient enough for the game. I have Chaos Theory on Xbox, and I've only beat a couple of levels, the game is fun as hell, but also very slow.

That's the thing, as linear as the game might seem, there are actually MANY athletic moves Sam can do in different situations and actually many hidden ways to completing the levels.

I enjoyed the SC series FAR more then MGS.

Kojima is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated.

I haven't played splinter cell either, but love mgs. The story in mgs is just so awesome. Snake eater was great and you really understand why the original snake turned evil. Story was just great! :D

theNoid said:
I enjoyed the SC series FAR more then MGS.

Kojima is waaaaaaaaaaaaaaay overrated.

I agree also. I played MGS on the Xbox and I was going wtf with the Story line...its so contrived and retarded that a 5 year old could do better! The gameplay of MGS was decent to good, the the totally wacked out storyline ruined the game for me.

The Splinter Cell series is great. I like the attention to detail, but I hated the dumb enemies.

"What's that over there? Ahhh, it's nothing.."
*Sam Grabs dude by the head and knocks him out*
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The Metal Gear storyline is by far more cinematic than Splinter Cell. While they do have two guys sneeking around, that's where I draw the line with putting them head to head. They are two different games using different mechanics to entertain the player.

^^I agree Lamont, same genre, but you really can't compare them.

I like them both for their styles. :)

i'm more of a mgs kind of guy.

i love mgs' story lines and when comparing it to splinter cell 1 and 2, the gameplay is far far better, simply for the fact that its more open ended in what you can actually do and it gives youmore options. but, i do love chaos theory, and i do think splinter cell has definately gotten better since its first installment, but i think mgs takes the cake

Lamont said:
The Metal Gear storyline is by far more cinematic than Splinter Cell. While they do have two guys sneeking around, that's where I draw the line with putting them head to head. They are two different games using different mechanics to entertain the player.
This, I completely agree with. I completely love the cinematics and storyline in MGS, and, of course, I am a fan of the gameplay.

I think that the Splinter Cell series has a less restrictive gameplay style, though, which I do enjoy, and the ability to fully control the camera makes for a more submersive experience. But I guess MGS can make up for that with the cinematics and such.

This is where I am excited about Splinter Cell Double Agent. Even in areas where there are or were supposed to be cutscenes, Ubisoft is making sure they are incorporating actual gameplay, or making it full gameplay rather tha having ay cutscenes at all. What gets me going is the parachuting scene that has been showcased on IGN and Team Xbox. Instead of throwing a cutscene in there with Sam Fisher parachuting to the land, you actually get to control him on the way down.

By the way, MGS4 is the sole reason I am getting a PS3...simple as that! ;)

Okay a challenge for you all. Recollect the story line from any of the Splinter Cell games? Do you remember them?

I have played all SC games though not finished with Chaos theory yet. Can´t recall what any of them was about more then terrorists... I also have no clue what I am doing in Chaos Theory despite listening to all the briefings...

oqvist said:
Okay a challenge for you all. Recollect the story line from any of the Splinter Cell games? Do you remember them?

I have played all SC games though not finished with Chaos theory yet. Can´t recall what any of them was about more then terrorists... I also have no clue what I am doing in Chaos Theory despite listening to all the briefings...
i won't go into detail because it would spoil the games for people who haven't played them, but yes, i do remember all of the storylines for all of the splinter cell games.

i have more trouble remembering the sometimes ridiculous storylines in the MGS series.

not trying to start a flame war, that's just my personal preference.

I think the reason I don't remember the Splinter Cell stories is because it doesn't stick out. There aren't any draw-dropping moments like in MGS, no cinematic moments that make the game seem that much better.

Maybe it's a bad thing that I remember moment to moment in Metal Gear? The Fight with Vulcan, Psyco Mantis, Fortune deflecting all the gun-fire, the fight with the Ninja. I can play the music in my head from the 8-bit versions to the current ones.

There were no moments like that in Splinter Cell, but that does not make it a bad game.

But who would win in a fight? Sam or Snake? I got my money on the mullet.

I liked the storyline of MGS more than I did SplinterCell, but overall I'd choose SplinterCell over MGS. I just prefer the gameplay.

Not to mention the online play of Pandora Tomorrow and Chaos Theory is a blast!

MGS 4 life .... never played MGS3 sold the PS2 by then... but it didnt seem "on course" of the story anyway

Splinter Cell 1 was fun till i got stuck in a building in near the end of the mid section of the game i think.

i love the sc series, the only one i havent played is the first one, but the second i beat and third i must have finished it at least 3 times

the versus mode is nice, i just wish more ppl were online tho :|

Molingrad said:
MGS 4 life .... never played MGS3 sold the PS2 by then... but it didnt seem "on course" of the story anyway

Splinter Cell 1 was fun till i got stuck in a building in near the end of the mid section of the game i think.

You have no idea what you are talking about. Many consider snake eater to be one of the best in the series. It was also very on course, because it explains the history behind revolver ocelot and big boss. I personally think that it has the best cut-scenes and boss battles from any MGS. You can't be a true MGS fan without Snake Eater.

Splinter Cell 1 sucked, the next ones after that are better but no-where near MGS caliber. Splinter does do the espionage well though and Sam Fisher is pretty cool, even though he would get owned by snake.

I am really enjoying SC so far.

Two TOTALLY different games I agree, but both have a ton of merit and great playability.

I must say I love the SC controls, a little different, but once you get used to them you are efficiently eliminating enemies with ease.

Back