Sony TFT 17": SDM-X73 vs SDM-HX73

galileo

n00b
Hi,

After a lot of research I am quite sure that I want to buy one of these models: SDM-X73 or SDM-HX73.

I've read their respective specifications and they are almost identical. The only differences I have found are:
- Luminance: 400 cd/m2 (HX73) vs 300 cd/ms (X73)
- Response time: 5:11 (HX73) vs 4:12 (X73)
- Design: Modern look (HX73) vs Classic look (X73)

I have also read in this forum that HX73 is more expensive than X73. Well, at least that's not the case in my country, where X73 is more expensive than HX73.

I'd like to know the differences between these two monitors because I can't believe that Sony has two identical monitors with different part numbers.

I've read lots of fantastic reviews about X73 from buyers at Newegg.com (here ). It looks like NewEgg doesn't sell HX73, so I haven't read any review from HX73 users. Why isn't that monitor sold at NewEgg.com?

I am a 3d gamer, so I'm specially interested in differences between these 2 monitors in terms of blurring, ghosting, etc.

Experiences from HX73 users are welcome !!! Thanks !!!

I've stuggled with the same question - my suggestion would be to get the HX73 if it is cheaper than the X73.

People on these forums don't report any problems with ghosting etc in fact the highly reccomend them both.

This thread may be helpful - also look for posts by a guy called msny - he quite like his X73.

http://www.hardforum.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=717751

Cheers

Yeah, I had already read that post and it looks like both of them are excellent monitors.

I still don't know why Sony sells 2 identical products... :rolleyes:

This thread may be helpful - also look for posts by a guy called msny - he quite like his X73

he...that be me :D

There is not 2 cents worth of difference to mention. Both panels have the EXACT same screen button setup. Either will serve you fine, go by price and style. It's a win win situation.

I just purchased the SDM-S73 it is quite a bit cheaper then either the x73 or the hx73. The only difference listed is the brightness and lack of dvi. It would not suprise me that X73 and the S73 are the same panel. The $100 price differnece is what did it for me.

just purchased the SDM-S73

Well there is one big difference....i beleive the response time is 25ms for that one and the HX, X models are 16ms. If your a gamer that is important.

I am afraid you are wrong. He is not talking about HS73 but S73, which is a different model.

This is the S73:

3F2F0C62B9AA45B4E10000002BC29B8F.jpg

And these are the specifications:

Bezel colour: Black
Model name: SDM-S73B
Video input: 1 x HD15
On-Screen-Display Functionality: (OSD) Colour control;Control lock;Pitch;Backlight control;H&V positioning;Phase;Reset;Contrast;Brightness;OSD positioning
Viewing angle (H:V): 160°:140°
Panel size: (inch) 17
Native resolution (pixels): 1280 x 1024
Contrast (max.): 500:1
Internal power supply: Yes
Luminance (cd/m²): 250
Power consumption normal operation (W) :< 45
LCD response time (rise & fall time): 4:12

Originally posted by galileo
And what are your impressions about that monitor?

Haven't gotten it yet should be here on sat. I give my impressions then.

Just purchased the HX73 from CircuitCity.

It seems like it is the AU panel. Can't confirm it but I tried out a Proview that did have it and this one seems similar.

The HX73 does have better circuits and backlighting which does help it a lot, but I still notice the "windowblinds" type lines across the screen when there is a lot of screen movement. They aren't terrible, but they do bug me.

Overall, the screen is very good though if you don't mind the lines at times.

Good:
- very bright
- no to very little ghosting in UT2003
- good colors
- good sun glare stopper
- nice controls
- Three computers can be hooked up and switched between with one button. I have both the analong and DVI hooked up to the same computer to view bootup screens. The monitor switches automatically between analong and DVI when needed.
- Fast resolution switching, and warm up.

Bad:
- dang lines (think it is the color shifter to create the appearance of more colors)
- field of view is narrow especially vertically.
- No VESA mount
- Big bezels

I think many would be pleased with this monitor, but it does seem to be an AU screen justed enhanced.

I'm going to return this monitor and give a Samsun 173P a try.

I just got my gray Sony X73, It looks awesome, I pluged in the dvi cable and installed drivers. I have ran through the menu and set the picture adjust to auto and thats it. Great picture and games look great.

Originally posted by msny
he...that be me :D

There is not 2 cents worth of difference to mention. Both panels have the EXACT same screen button setup. Either will serve you fine, go by price and style. It's a win win situation.

He's right. You'll be happy with either.

Nobody's mentioned that HX has nicer speakers yet, though... but they still suck compared to basically any standalones, I'd imagine.

Got this monitor Saturday. No problems whatsoever and great for gaming. Did not experience any issues with the blue colour at gamecopyworld.com like somebody posted about.
Am using a Radeon 9700pro

Well I got my S73 today. So far I am very pleased. Haven't noticed any ghosting in Q3, UT2003 or any 3dmark even past 250 fps.

I have noticed a little bit of the windowblinds that Grolandi noticed but very little.

I don't know who made the panel but my guess is that it is the same as the X73 with less backlight and no speakers or DVI. I recomend it to any one who wants a cheaper but still very good 17 inch lcd and doesn't need DVI.

I got the HX73 in December. Man I love this moniter.

17 LCD @ Newegg
SONY SDM-S73/B 17" TFT LCD Monitor –RETAIL

$459 - $60 IR = $399

Not a bad deal.

Its on their opening page.

That's the non-DVI version but a pretty good deal nonetheless.

I just got the DVI version of that monitor (Sony SDM-X73) from Newegg and am pretty impressed. Granted, this is the first LCD I've used but that may be a good thing as far as impressions go.

The dithering is driving me crazy. It's going back. A good monitor none the less, but its way of dithering causing noticable patterns when there is a bit of action of the screen...most games. Feel like I'm looking at a fine cross-stitch pattern.

Still, I do think it is a AU screen, which dithers the same way, but this Sony is much better implementation than most of it.

Originally posted by mdaniel
17 LCD @ Newegg
SONY SDM-S73/B 17" TFT LCD Monitor –RETAIL

$459 - $60 IR = $399

Not a bad deal.

Its on their opening page.

This was $439 - $30 instant rebate just a week ago. I am very happy with mine so far. If you don't need dvi it is a good deal.

A big difference I noticed is that the SDM-X73 offers 4 inches of height adjustment, while the SDM-HS53 requires the purchase of a riser to adjust its height.

A big difference I noticed is that the SDM-X73 offers 4 inches of height adjustment, while the SDM-HS53 requires the purchase of a riser to adjust its height.

Yes, and what a lot of people don't know is the you can swivel the panel anywhere along the 4" track left/right, up/down. The angle mechanism is simple but awesome.

I got my HX73 in December and love it. I use the internal speakers for a center sound. So instead of a 4.1 Klipsch Setup now I have a 5.1 Klipsch/Sony setup.

Back