Some said it couldn't be done...

MikeyB

Limp Gawd
to put a full size 120mm rad in the space occupied by the original 120mm fan. There are a lot of configurations for the alphacool nexxxos extreme radiator, but I chose this one so the motherboard gets some airflow.

Cooling system
Swiftec Apogee
DD Maze 4 GPU
DDC Pump
Alphacool NexXxos Extreme
Sunon 100CFM fan @ 5v (will probably do 7-8v in future)
Tygon R1000 5/16 ID

Processor is +600mhz with 1.4v at 2.6ghz and VC is at stock. Has been idling around about 23c and running about 30-32c under load (cpu + video, cold ass basement :D).

qpwater1.jpg

qpwater2.jpg

qpwater3.jpg

Last edited:
Yes, there is a cutout in my case. I need to get a dust filter or something for it. The middle fan is just a shell, it makes perfect shroud for this application.

Cool, very different idea. Check out my WCed QPack, in the sig. :)

Cool!
I was thinking of doing the exact same thing!
Just need to find a good SocketA MB that will work with a mobile or customize it to fit a full size atx board

Great Job!
Post more pics if you have them, especially with the top

D.

Nice setup!

Do you have any support on the 'inside', or is it just the two screws on the metal bracket on the 'outside' that are holding it in place?

For now it's just the two bolts on the frame. I originally had a bracket that connected the other half of the rad to the frame below the liberty. It was ugly and didn't provide much added support so I took it out. It seems pretty secure as is, and I don't see the rad going anywhere, especailly while the case is on.

I had considered doing mine the same way when I initially did my 2nd H20 Qpack setup, but as you can see, you cannot mount an internal optical drive as the radiator and tubes prevents it. I guess if you use an external USB optical drive, this won't be a problem, wich is what I'm actually doing on a Qpack I made for work (non water-cooled), which I wanted to keep as light as possible.

I also didn't like the fact that cutting the top of the case..........it leaves a very thin portion of the top of the cover in the corners, compromising the sturdiness of the cover. In your case, you're going to have to cut the top for the power supply as well, adding to the problem. For something that's not going to be transported much, this isn't a problem.

I definately like the cleanliness of your setup. Much better than my snake-like vine configuration I have.

My next H20 Qpack I'm going to try to mount the radiator internally where the 120mm fan is. If the power supply holes are offset a few mm so the power supply is moved more towards the side, it's possible.

One last note............your hold down screws are way too tight........I know, the plastic spacers are supposed to prevent this, but they aren't the right height. Your motherboard is seriously tweaked, as was mine when I first installed my Storm (same thing with my Apogee). Either backoff the tension on your screws or install some washer spacers on top of your existing spacer so your motherboard isn't getting so tweaked.

w00ty said:
why dont u flip the PSU upside down?
The position of the power connectors is better in this configuration, and it doesn't affect the performance of the PSU, it still runs very cool.

MassiveOverkill said:
as you can see, you cannot mount an internal optical drive as the radiator and tubes prevents it.
You can mount a shorter optical drive in there just fine. I don't want the lite-ons because it is PATA, so I'm waiting to get the plextor px-716sa. It is over an inch shoter than my older px712 and will have a black bezel as well.

MassiveOverkill said:
I also didn't like the fact that cutting the top of the case.
I've got a solution for this. Instead of using a 38mm shroud I'm going to use a 25mm one and pull air from the back of the case.

MassiveOverkill said:
your hold down screws are way too tight
It got like that when I had the old zalman 7700 on there. The 7700 was not snug until the board warped like that :eek: I will try to loosen it a little bit and see what happens.

Yep, you're right on the optical.......my LG doesn't even extend past the cage ( I had to look just to make sure.

You're going to have to cut the top of your case regardless..........otherwise your air isn't going to have anywhere to go.

I'm going to make some changes and try to get a black px716. I'll have more pics soon.

edit: anybody know if the px716 is compatible with the 410 southbridge?

MikeyB said:
I'm going to make some changes and try to get a black px716. I'll have more pics soon.

edit: anybody know if the px716 is compatible with the 410 southbridge?

I don't see why it wouldn't be. That's a really clean setup. Good work. Also, I would love to watercool my qpack, but being 16 I have to spend my money wisely, and I need a new guitar amp. On a lighter note though, as soon as my dad is "ready" I should have the SG01 build I was talking about up and running.

PX 716SA does not work with the Biostar Tforce 6100. As soon as I read a dvd or cd the computer reboots as if the reset button was pressed. I'm going to try the latest bios and stock settings to see if that solves the problem.

Hey Man, could you post some pics of the pc w/ the case on I want to see how you did the top. Also, try the benq 1655 drive. It's great. Isn't that fan loud as hell? Would you be able to fit a Res in that setup. I was thinking the swiftech microres.

I'm getting my roommate's dad to machine hood scoop like duct to exhaust the hot air out the back of the case. I'm going to replace the 2 38mm thick fans with 2 25mm fans and put the duct on top of that. I will post pics when I get it all done.

You can see half ofit on the 2nd pic. It is in front of the mobo, between it and the front of the case.

Now if someone will step forward and watercool one of those Dual opteron/SLI iWill SFF cases... I'll mess my pants.

Back