Software-free ATA100 raid0/1 controller card?

anile8

Limp Gawd
Well, I'm fed up with my integrated raid controller. I don't see the point in using a hardware controller if it needs software to work.

Isn't there a controller that works as though it was a drive on its own? Meaning no software at all. I'm using linux and having to install modules for updated kernels is a pain.

On a similar note....

Does anyone know if the upcoming Intel ICH6-R southbridge will be pure hardware? It's supposed to be RAID 0/1.

-Robert

I have the SX6000, and other than the BIOS (oncard) and the driver, the only software is the Promise Array Management Utility and its not necessary, it basically just a reporting tool that will run as a service and notify you if something is up (popup email ect)

pretty sure there is a Linux Driver as well
Id recommend the SX4000 (for a PATA solution) especially if you have a 64bit slot
with 256MB of SDRAM Cache it approaches SCSI speeds in a RAID 0
the dedicated RISC processor for XOR calculations is pretty good

what RAID level and application is this for?

By software I also meant drivers.

I have a Promise controller and Promise hasn't released the drivers for the newer kernels so I'm stuck with an insecure kernel.

Isn't there a driver-free controller?

All controllers have drivers. Just because some are packaged with the OS doesn't mean they're not there. SCSI controllers, RAID controllers, ATA33 controllers, PIO-mode controllers, USB storage, Firewire drives, etc., they've all got drivers.

Drivers are one thing, but functionality outside the OS is what I'm asking?

Assuming you create the RAID set in the controller's BIOS, it technically should allow you to FDISK and install good 'ol DOS afterwards, right?

Sure, I may not get the speed benefits as much without optimized drivers, but to me that is the difference between software, software-assisted, and pure hardware RAID.

Can I install DOS? (or any other unsupported OS)

-Robert

Originally posted by Valnar
Can I install DOS? (or any other unsupported OS)
Actually DOS support is easiest and is built into virtually all hardware or software RAID controllers via Int 13h extensions in the on-board BIOS. That's why you can FDISK from a true DOS prompt on even cheap PCI or integrated RAID controllers.

Back