So it's been a minute I know but over the summer? I joined Team Red!

LigTasm recently went through hell with a 7900XTX Ryzen system new build that ended up being a faulty USB port on the new case crashing the system but it appeared to be a gpu issue. I'm not sure how the issue was discovered but I'm sure it wasn't fun for him. I've seen some crazy stupid shit cause a lot of grief over the years and I've had my share as well but patience and perseverance can win the day if applied with methodical testing.
Yup. People get stuck in confirmation bias mode and dismiss stuff too quick.

Yes I agree. There were many changes to the windows HAL and how it ha does hardware detection. However my original recommendation was, if all else fails you DDU it and utilize fails, and evern if everything installs smooth on the outside looking in but you still have weird performance that nothing resolves, reinstall your OS from scratch then see if the weirdness is resolved before you assume it's AMDs fault. Old school is old school because it's proven to work through the test of time. Sometimes you just have to reboot your cell phone as well. You know that kinda old school cocept that never fails such as a simple power down and power back up kinda thing.
I used to be “old school” like that. Reinstall windows anytime I ran into issues, that is until I got into a serious relationship and got married and became a step father.

Unfortunately for some—reinstalling Windows is a major undertaking, sometimes not worth the headaches. In this instance let’s say you have an Nvidia card that works fine, and an AMD card that has issues, but is roughly 10-15% faster but to get that performance and rid yourself of all the issues you have to reinstall Windows—what if the person isn’t tech savvy, or comfortable enough to do so? Let’s say the user has too much data and doesn’t have backup’s, or the time or means to make backups? At that point is it really worth all those headaches just for marginally better performance? For me I’d have absolutely no issues doing that, as much as I’d prefer not to since I don’t have a whole lot of time these days to do things like that, but for some it may not be a feasible option. This is why I always recommend Nvidia; like Apple products, it just works.

I've tried several amd/ATI cards over the years and it's always the same song and dance from AMD fans... "oh it must be your fault" "works fine for me!"

The truth is that in most cases it is indeed the amd product that's the problem... I say that as someone whose first ATI card was a Radeon 9700 pro. It gave me issues. Only one that didn't was the x800xt aiw.
Same here. I found that the stability of Nvidia has just won me over through the years and now that I'm older I don't want to go chasing "gremlins" in my system like I used to back in the day. Intel and Nvidia is what I go with as it's been a great combination for me for years now.

I used to be “old school” like that. Reinstall windows anytime I ran into issues, that is until I got into a serious relationship and got married and became a step father.

Unfortunately for some—reinstalling Windows is a major undertaking, sometimes not worth the headaches. In this instance let’s say you have an Nvidia card that works fine, and an AMD card that has issues, but is roughly 10-15% faster but to get that performance and rid yourself of all the issues you have to reinstall Windows—what if the person isn’t tech savvy, or comfortable enough to do so? Let’s say the user has too much data and doesn’t have backup’s, or the time or means to make backups? At that point is it really worth all those headaches just for marginally better performance? For me I’d have absolutely no issues doing that, as much as I’d prefer not to since I don’t have a whole lot of time these days to do things like that, but for some it may not be a feasible option. This is why I always recommend Nvidia; like Apple products, it just works.

If the person doesn't have backups of their data, then upgrading their video card should be the least of their worries right now. I say let them learn the hard way why they should have backed up their data.

If the person doesn't have backups of their data, then upgrading their video card should be the least of their worries right now. I say let them learn the hard way why they should have backed up their data.
Regarding the backup data, I usually format all my system drive at least 3 partition:
C: as windows / OS partition
D: as installed games partition
E: as Data, Master Games, Photos / Movies or any other data

So when it comes necessary to reinstall the windows, I only need to install the OS to partition C, and then install other software & support system like DirectX etc...

Admittedly I've gotten pretty lazy about backing up my boot drives and any of my NVME drives (of which I have 4 in my current MB, totaling 7TB of space). As long as it's a solid quality TLC NVME drive, from my experience it just doesn't really suddenly drop dead on you like any 3.5" HDD would.

Unfortunately, I haven't had much leeway with backing up my 3.5" drives lately either... it's getting to the point where I have like 40TB or something scattered across my drives and in order to even reasonably maintain it while also having a 1 to 1 backup of it, I would have to use all 6 of my motherboard's SATA slots so that I can fill it with like 6 20-24TB 3.5" drives... that way I would at least have 60-72TB of space with 60-72TB of just redundancy. But that's going to be damn expensive to set up, too. I'm not sure how much I care about the stuff on my non-NVME drives, outside of archival or nostalgia purposes.

Keeping backups starts getting expensive, fast...

Back