Slooowww usb2.0

opranks612

Gawd
Well, I got an ipod for Christmas. I didn't have a firewire card, so I figured I'd save a couple of bucks and just buy the usb/firewire cable for it. My computer has usb 2.0, and the drivers are installed, everything is working. But I've been letting it transfer over songs for two hours, and so far I only have 1.7 gbs. What the heck is making it so slow?

By my calculations it figures that you are only running about 247kbytes per second. That is kinda slow. What i would do is look up to see how the transfer rates are compared to the i-pod website or post some stuff in forums asking about the transfer rates.

That's kind of what I'm asking. It shouldn't be nearly this slow. It should be around 12mb/s. I can only think of two things: the usb2.0 is onboard, so that may slow it down, and I also have a wireless mouse on my other usb2.0 port. Any ideas?

check in the device manager and make sure your hubs are showing up as usb 2.0, there's also come fixes out on windows update

what's your mainboard?

That does sound hella strange. I'd definitely recommend spending those bucks that you saved on a Firewire card. Not only will it transfer faster, but it'll also charge :D I don't remember how long it took, but I do remember that transferring 13.3GB of MP3s took much less than an hour. I should erase them all off the iPod and try again just to see :D

Soyo Dragon KT400. And yeah, even though usb 2.0 will be slower than firewire, it should still be done by now!! I checked device manager, and I do have a usb 2.0 entry there. I checked my task manager. It says that the transferring program is using up 80-99% of my cpu. I'm on a 2100+, so I don't think that would be a problem. My processor never has trouble keeping up with a hard drive.

Back