Slim DVD burner drive w/LightScribe (SATA).

fleggett

Gawd
I'm looking for a slim, laptop-style SATA DVD burner with LightScribe ability. Newegg doesn't have any, but Amazon has a smorgasbord. It needs to be a standard fit to go into this:

http://www.frozencpu.com/products/10...tl=g34c273s852

Anyone have any suggestions? A Blu-ray drive would be ideal, but I haven't run across any in a slim form factor with LightScribe support.

Thanks in advance!

Well, if you find one, buy it - even if it comes in an external case you can simply remove a screw or two and pull the bare drive out and put it in whatever casing or mount you've got in mind. As for a Blu-ray reader/writer with Lightscribe support to, well, that's pushing things a bit far (and yes I know that Lightscribe is only viable for CD/DVD media which such a drive would obviously be compatible with). ;)

There are a LOT of LightScribe-capable slim drives on Amazon, but my fear is that most of them are pulls from custom-fitted laptops. I think it's rather odd that, of all the slim drives Newegg sells, none of them come with LightScribe support.

I'll probably wind-up taking a chance on an Amazon model.

For all my optical drive needs, I use Directron.com because they have a fairly huge selection of different brands and models, but even they don't carry a slot-loading laptop optical drive that's capable of Lightscribe functionality, so I would definitely question whether or not those drives on Amazon are the real deal.

There's tons of 'em out there in standard laptop style, meaning tray-loaders, but as for slot-loading, I honestly don't think such a thing exists. Those sellers could just be adding "Lightscribe" into the product descriptions to entice people to buy 'em...

I'm in the same boat. I've been ready to buy a new box for a month, but can't find a damn drive to fit my case (Silverstone Fortress FT03S). If you find one, please let me know! (Note: The evil side of me is unsurprised that Silverstone is selling their own slim slot load drive -- but no Blu-Ray yet...)

I'm in the same boat. I've been ready to buy a new box for a month, but can't find a damn drive to fit my case (Silverstone Fortress FT03S). If you find one, please let me know! (Note: The evil side of me is unsurprised that Silverstone is selling their own slim slot load drive -- but no Blu-Ray yet...)
I took a chance and purchased one of these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=150585167415&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT

The seller states they're Samsung SN-S083 drives, but they're actually SN-S083N units, which is an important distinction. The shipped firmware was SB00, but I flashed it to SB02 via Samsung's ODD support site.

The drive seems to work fine. I just finished LightScribe'ing a 1.2 disc and it came out pretty sharp and clear. Be warned, though - you MUST purchase a mini-SATA adapter, like this one:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003NE5IUC

I bought a different type that I thought was compatible, but it wasn't (naturally).

Also, make sure to purchase an adapter with only two power leads attached to the Molex. Apparently, people have burned out their drives using adapters with all four leads attached.

As an eBay Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
As an Amazon Associate, HardForum may earn from qualifying purchases.
I too am trying to find a slim light-scribe blu-ray drive for a Silverstone Fortress FT03S case that I've got my sights on buying, but no luck thus far. It seems to be the only true drawback of this case for me. I'd prefer not to be limited to the slim drive.

Any further luck since April by anybody to find one of these that is also blu-ray?

Thanks.

Mike

Back